Possible Cure for Nervous Dogs

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Sage

But what if Duffy got very jealous and upset?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Dogs like having and being with a pack.

While Duffy might get jealous at first, soon he will accept a new friend. The trick is for Duffy's mom to be the pack leader. In order to lessen any competition, Duffy's mom must dole out affection, treats, and attention to both equally, not showing favoritism, then the two dogs will not compete and will become companions.

When they are left alone in the house, the two dogs will keep each other company and wait for their "leader of the pack" to return.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
I'm back. Had a hard time getting on line and posting. After trying the thundershirt several times I'm sorry to say it isn't working. I'm reluctant to make it too tight since Duffy is tiny and I'm afraid to restrict his breathing. He has continued to bark when I leave and shake in the cart.
I'm disappointed but I'll continue my quest for a solution.
I've been reading about another product, the Anxiety Wrap for dogs. It's made of a lighter, stretchy material and according to some who've used it on their dogs, they say the dogs are much more comfortable. The principal is the same as the Thundershirt, but supposedly, more flexible and lighter. Some who have used both types have said the more the vests are used, the more positive results are seen. Sometimes it just take a bit of time, and then again, there are some doggies it just doesn't seem to work for. Duffy could be one of those, alas.

I'm not sure if you would want to buy another product since the original one didn't work, but here's the link to the item, you can take a look for yourself. Sometimes just a little difference in a product can produce different results.

https://anxietywrap.com/default.aspx
Old 03-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Veteran member
Default anxious dog

Our Jack Russell "terror" received a thunderwrap as a gift, and I couldn't be more pleased. Scooter will let us know if it's raining in Eustis!

Medication worked if it was raining, but thunder or lightning made our poor animal an anxious, bug-eyed nut job. It made you feel bad just to see her have a melt down.

My sister told us about an article from the Wall Street Journal about these anxiety shirts and then got one for Scooter. It worked!!!!! When a storm is approaching, she still gets medication, but also gets the shirt put on her and it's truly made a difference.....she's much calmer and will now sleep during rain. Scooter is still aware of thunder and lightning, but can now handle it in a calm relaxed manner.

Thanks to whomever invented the anxiety shirt for dogs.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Just because Duffy hasn't responded to the shirt, doesn't mean won't work for other dogs.

The Thundershirt, once put on snugly enough (doesn't stop the dog from breathing) works for my nervous little poodle very well.

Thanks for the link to the other product, too, Pooh.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Thanks to everyone who responded to Duffy's dilemma. The last week has been hectic at our house, we had company and lots of excitement. Now that is has calmed down I'm going to try the shirt again. The first time I used it it seemed to work so perhaps we need to continue to use it. I like the anxiety wrap and the fact that it is light weight for the Summer. Thanks Pooh and K9. Is there an anxiety wrap for humans? Some members of my family need a good wrap.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.