the post that needs to be shared!

Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2018, 07:12 PM
Sage
Default the post that needs to be shared!

THIS is the post that should be shared far and wide!!!!

There was a VCDD meeting this afternoon.

We did not go but of course, were given updates from the people who did.

The Villages has given a directive to the employees that if a pet is found in The Villages they are to call
Sumter County Animal Services or instruct the residents to call the Sumter County Animal Services to pick up the animal. This is instead of calling Lost Pets of The Villages. They are told to NOT even tell the residents Lost Pets of The Villages is here and can help get your pets back home.

We have had many pets, that for various reasons, would not have made it back home if they had gone to the pound

I will not fight with The Villages, nor will I fight with the Commissioners about the pound any longer. I will use my efforts to let everyone know about this decision and to get the word out about Lost Pets of The Villages.

We heard from several people in the meeting, and one of the things we heard was "they said their mandate is to focus on what makes everyone happy to be here - that residents did not buy because of 'a group that finds pets' - their focus is recreation, entertainment, and beauty of the surroundings"

They don't realize that 90% of Villagers own pets and that we bought because we believed The Villages was "pet-friendly".

My pets ARE my family, and I personally feel this decision is a reckless disregard for our pets!

There will most likely be a lot of pets going into the Sumter County Animal Services if there hasn't been already.... We personally wonder where they are since we had so many calls before and aren't seeing any intakes in The Villages now.

Sumter County Animal Services has a problem with posting their intake pictures and it's not easy to get in to find your pet when you lose it

I hope The Villages knows what they are doing, because, if one of your pets ends up in Sumter County Animal Services and something happens to it, I would consider suing The Villages for this decision. I would think THiS would be the liability they would be worried about.

Sumter County is a high kill shelter. A shelter that we KNOW plays with the numbers to look good. A shelter that we KNOW "loses" pets. A shelter that we KNOW has killed pets within 48 hours of intake.

This is the liability The Villages should be considering.

I can't stress the importance of adding your friends and neighbors to Lost Pets of The Villages. They care about your pets and getting them home. 24/7 and all volunteer!

Lost Pets Of The Villages Public Group | Facebook
Old 09-12-2018, 08:30 PM

What an horrible mandate! I do not even own a pet, but I would gladly participate in a public protest. Sign me up!
Old 09-12-2018, 10:46 PM
Platinum member

Angie, thank you for all you do for pet owners in TV. It is a good thing. I would hope that TV changes this policy.

Last edited by starflyte1; 09-13-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:52 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I would love to know the logic behind this decision. Making a phone call or two takes no major effort. Informing someone of ways they can get help is a simple kindness. To simply call animal control and leave it at that is, to me, obscene. I hope they reverse this decision quickly.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

Tags
pets, villages, county, sumter, animal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.