Puphead Potty - for dogs that is!!!

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2015, 04:24 PM
Gold member
Default Puphead Potty - for dogs that is!!!

I am seriously thinking about getting a puppy. I am saying puppy as I want to train her to use an indoor potty and I think a puppy would be easier to train.

Today we have over 20 inches of "new" snow and the overnight temperature is supposed to be 2 below. Two weeks ago it was 22 below wind chill! Yikes. So, I started thinking about an indoor potty! A lot of my DC friends used indoor potties for their dogs so I knew it was possible!

I have been searching the internet for weeks for puppies and watching YouTube videos on grooming for a Shih Tzu. I am becoming a big fan of YouTube and especially Winnie the Tzu!

Anyway, a link popped up for the Puphead Potty by PupGear Corp and I watched the video. It looks like a great ideai. It has a tray for a changeable pee pad and then artificial turf. The lady on You Tube used cat litter instead of the pee pad and loved it.

The Puphead is a little pricey but I found it is lot cheaper through the comapny than Amazon!

Has anyone tried the Puphead? Any ideas would be appreciated!
Old 02-04-2015, 06:32 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove

I have 2 clients that have them and the dogs won't go near them. Think long & hard before acquiring a puppy. They are HIGH energy. Good luck whatever path you choose!
Old 02-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

we have trained (house broken) a good number of puppies over the years. It was ALWAYS a hard earned and at times frustrating process.

I cannot even imagine what it would take to potty train (pup head or what ever) one. I suspect the failure rate is very, VERY high....but have no idea.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Gold member

It's been a very long time since I've trained a puppy. Cats are so easy. I think I'm up to the challenge!
Old 02-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post
I am seriously thinking about getting a puppy. I am saying puppy as I want to train her to use an indoor potty and I think a puppy would be easier to train.

Today we have over 20 inches of "new" snow and the overnight temperature is supposed to be 2 below. Two weeks ago it was 22 below wind chill! Yikes. So, I started thinking about an indoor potty! A lot of my DC friends used indoor potties for their dogs so I knew it was possible!

I have been searching the internet for weeks for puppies and watching YouTube videos on grooming for a Shih Tzu. I am becoming a big fan of YouTube and especially Winnie the Tzu!

Anyway, a link popped up for the Puphead Potty by PupGear Corp and I watched the video. It looks like a great ideai. It has a tray for a changeable pee pad and then artificial turf. The lady on You Tube used cat litter instead of the pee pad and loved it.

The Puphead is a little pricey but I found it is lot cheaper through the comapny than Amazon!

Has anyone tried the Puphead? Any ideas would be appreciated!
Sable, don't forget that puppies still need exercise and walks, even if they are trained to go indoors.
My girlfriend in Canada just got a rescue with sensitive feet and she has to put booties on him every time they go for a walk.
I understand your excitement over the idea of getting a dog, but please don't forget, they are a ton of work when they are puppies.
Best of luck to you. There is no better companion than a dog!
Old 02-04-2015, 08:32 PM

My sister-in-law lives in Staten Island and has a Maltese and a Shih Tzu who are both litter box trained. The litter is made of newspaper pellets, I think. Both pups had no problem potty training indoors, so I think it is very possible.

A puppy is work, but I think its so worth it! Love those puppy bellies!!!! Good luck!
Old 02-05-2015, 09:44 AM
Smile Indoor potty for dog

My silky terrier literally trained herself to start going potty inside, especially during heavy rains when she does not want to go outside.
She followed me to the bathroom all of the time. One day I noticed she "peed" directly in front of the commode. (without any pads there) How could I yell at her for that? So, we started putting down pee pads in the bathroom next to our commode. Result? She uses the pee pads at night and during times when it is raining outside. When the sun is shining, she prefers to go outside to potty.
Smart dog.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Sable, don't forget that puppies still need exercise and walks, even if they are trained to go indoors.
My girlfriend in Canada just got a rescue with sensitive feet and she has to put booties on him every time they go for a walk.
I understand your excitement over the idea of getting a dog, but please don't forget, they are a ton of work when they are puppies.
Best of luck to you. There is no better companion than a dog!
I want to indoor potty the puppy on cold, rainy or snowy days. (Its below zero here today and I would hate to take a puppy out in this weather -- the puppy or me!) Also, if I'm out of the house I don't want my 90 year old mother to have to take a puppy outside. I would still walk the puppy for exercise and I think my 3 year old cat will also give the puppy a lot of exercise. Kaylee (the cat) loves to play.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:51 AM
Gold member

Elizabeth52 and Jukerocks. Thanks for the ideas and support.

When I lived in northern Virginia, I used to dogsit a neighbor's poodle. She lived on the 10th floor and only used newspaper for her dog's potty. She never took her dog outside except for her balcony. I always felt sorry for her dog.

The guy that developed the Puphead was a boater. With the Puphead he could take their dog with them and go on longer trips.

Its just an idea and I'm still researching other ideas. I go to find a puppy first!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
I want to indoor potty the puppy on cold, rainy or snowy days. (Its below zero here today and I would hate to take a puppy out in this weather -- the puppy or me!) Also, if I'm out of the house I don't want my 90 year old mother to have to take a puppy outside. I would still walk the puppy for exercise and I think my 3 year old cat will also give the puppy a lot of exercise. Kaylee (the cat) loves to play.
If I was your puppy I would ask you to find a rental in TV from October - March. You don't have to go if you don't want to, but it's puppy cruelty not to let puppy go if he wishes. Brrrrrrr!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:57 AM

I tried it. My dogs peed in the floor next to it. Just pee pads work better

Old 02-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
If I was your puppy I would ask you to find a rental in TV from October - March. You don't have to go if you don't want to, but it's puppy cruelty not to let puppy go if he wishes. Brrrrrrr!

The sad thing is I recently told our long-term renters that they could stay in our TV home for another year! If I could only talk my 90 year old mother into moving to TV full time!
Old 02-05-2015, 11:05 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGranny View Post
I tried it. My dogs peed in the floor next to it. Just pee pads work better
Yikes, its pretty pricey -- especially if it doesn't work!
Old 02-05-2015, 11:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
The sad thing is I recently told our long-term renters that they could stay in our TV home for another year! If I could only talk my 90 year old mother into moving to TV full time!
I think your Mom would really enjoy herself here. I know several neighbors who brought their similarly aged parents here and they are very active. Has she ever visited TV before?
Old 02-05-2015, 12:50 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I think your Mom would really enjoy herself here. I know several neighbors who brought their similarly aged parents here and they are very active. Has she ever visited TV before?
Mom's been to TV many times and enjoys herself while she is there. (We bought a lot on our very first visit!) She just enjoys her friends, family, church and especially the four seasons in Michigan. She would move for me but I want her to be happy too.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.