Puppy mill rescue

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2015, 09:19 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaS View Post
Three and a half weeks ago we adopted a one year old, 6 pound schnoodle that was rescued from a puppy mill. She has come such a long way in a short time! She was sooooooo scared the first three days, we couldn't pet her or pick her up. Now, she is the sweetest most loving little soul I have ever known. She is starting to learn how to play. She loves to go for walks and has been very good about meeting other fur babies. She is still VERY fearful around strangers and will not allow them to pet her. This is problematic as everyone thinks she is so cute and wants to pet her.

I would love to hear from anyone else who has rescued a puppy mill dog.
Also, if anyone knows of a mobile groomer who has had experience dealing with really frightened dogs, please PM me.
Thank you,
Lynda
About 7 years ago I rescued my littlr Gracie Girl (no kidding) She is the sweetest, most loving wonderful dog in the world. I just worry because she is 77 yrs old.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 03-19-2015, 05:04 PM

Thank you, Rubrocks. SallyBow she HAS to be the sweetest and most loving with the name “Gracie Girl”! (Gracie is one of my favorite people on the planet!) Jukerocks, your right, we can’t always make things like they never happened but what a gift you have given her of unconditional love… and sometimes us humans need to be loved the same way… warts and all.
I started the thread looking for support but don’t want to discourage anyone who might be thinking of adopting. The dogs from Poodles and Pooch Rescue come from all types of scenarios – they are not all puppy mill dogs. A lot of the pups are very sociable from the start. They will work with anyone considering adoption to make sure the furbaby is the right fit for your home.
BonniVie thank you for sharing about Twister, sounds like you have a lot of wonderful memories. We have only had this little one four weeks today but I can’t imagine being without her.
Licismom, didn’t know you were on TOTV… can’t thank you enough for all your wisdom, support and “gentle” nudging. We miss you both and are looking forward to visiting with the Hooligans!
Old 03-19-2015, 07:21 PM
Veteran member

LyndaS, I too have rescue dogs. One of mine was a breeder in a puppy mill. When I got him he had been discovered as one of 22 puppy mill Borzoi that were in a swamp in Texas, tied to posts in 2 feet in standing water without shelter and he was hairless (long haired now), and weighed about half of his current weight. He was almost feral and when I got him shipped to me in Pennsylvania and he was such a freakazoid that even my other 5 large dogs were afraid of him. If I took him in the car he dripped a faucet from his nose. On a lead he went straight up in the air and I fell on my face many times until we got it right. He would dash to the corner where the water bowl was then dash to the corner to a dog bed. He wouldn't connect with any of us- dog or human. This went on for months while I sat on his bed with my back to him, gently and softly talking to him as he either shook or ignored me. I continued to walk him daily which really helped our bond I believe. Finally one day his long skinny leg pulled me back as I went to get up from his bed. Another day he got up and goosed me as I did the dishes. Eventually became a Hospice Therapy Dog and today, at the remarkable age of over 13 years, he is totally at ease with every dog and human he meets. He is the only swamp dog from that rescued group of 22 still alive and the only one to have healed so well. I am eternally grateful for our bond and for how spectacular a dog he is and for all the love he has shown me. Make no mistake- it IS worth the work and the journey.
(First pict is now, 2nd pict is him standing about 4 months after I got him)
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	MishkaNationals13.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	49203   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	MishkChunNew.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	49204  
Old 03-19-2015, 07:26 PM
Sage
Default Puppy mill rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
LyndaS, I too have rescue dogs. One of mine was a breeder in a puppy mill. When I got him he had been discovered as one of 22 puppy mill Borzoi that were in a swamp in Texas, tied to posts in 2 feet in standing water without shelter and he was hairless (long haired now), and weighed about half of his current weight. He was almost feral and when I got him shipped to me in Pennsylvania and he was such a freakazoid that even my other 5 large dogs were afraid of him. If I took him in the car he dripped a faucet from his nose. On a lead he went straight up in the air and I fell on my face many times until we got it right. He would dash to the corner where the water bowl was then dash to the corner to a dog bed. He wouldn't connect with any of us- dog or human. This went on for months while I sat on his bed with my back to him, gently and softly talking to him as he either shook or ignored me. I continued to walk him daily which really helped our bond I believe. Finally one day his long skinny leg pulled me back as I went to get up from his bed. Another day he got up and goosed me as I did the dishes. Eventually became a Hospice Therapy Dog and today, at the remarkable age of over 13 years, he is totally at ease with every dog and human he meets. He is the only swamp dog from that rescued group of 22 still alive and the only one to have healed so well. I am eternally grateful for our bond and for how spectacular a dog he is and for all the love he has shown me. Make no mistake- it IS worth the work and the journey.
In all seriousness I am somewhat teary and my nose is running right now. Bless you.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:49 PM

Bless you and your new best friend !
Old 03-19-2015, 07:55 PM
Veteran member

God bless you all who have taken in these rescue dogs. I can't even imagine what some of them have been through. It is a real commitment to offer a home to one of these babies and so worth it in the end. Good luck to you all!

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 03-19-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Dear Lovsthosebigdogs, He is sooooo beautiful!!! It is obvious that he did so well because of your patience and commitment to him. You give us hope that we can get to a similar place. Thank you so much for sharing your story!
Old 03-19-2015, 09:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
You are truly a saint, Roz.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

I don't have words. You told me part of it, but I wasn't listening with my heart.

There is so much good in this world.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Blessings are being sent your way. My emotions when from rage, sorrow and then finally gratitude while reading your post. Thank you for sharing your journey, you are a power of example.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:53 PM
Veteran member

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate your kind words about my Mishka. LyndaS, if you see the future with your dog ok and all things working out that way it will happen that way for you also. Just don't take no for an answer. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Thank you, Roz.
I never heard that part of the story, and what a story it is!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.