Puppy Training - Question

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2022, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Our puppy was trained in a gravel yard in Key West, then brought to grass in Michigan. Our other dog (rescued at age 8) was trained on grass but does fine on stones, possibly because he saw the puppy (now 14) peeing in the stones.

Train your puppy on the stones. It will be so much more convenient for you. He will switch to grass easily. My results, anyway...
Old 01-11-2022, 08:06 AM
Default We also had ALL rock....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCsun View Post
I have just gotten a new puppy and live in a courtyard villa with no grass, only stones, which were here prior to my moving in. Should I remove some of the stones and add grass or just train the dog to use the stones. Right now it is hit or miss. Has anyone ever put grass in a small box for their pet? Any advise would be appreciated.
we replaced it with zoysia grass and love it...no issues w our dog anymore and its friendly for guests too.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:21 AM
Veteran member

My wife is a dog sitter and would never think to let a dog pee on rocks. My own opinion is that when it gets to be summer in 2 weeks or so it's going to be very hot on the rocks and hurt their paws but other people may tell you different. I would much rather prefer grass to rocks and I have to get a cut once in a while. Dogs also naturally like to walk explore the neighborhood and it's good for you and your health. I'm sure you've also heard they like to Mark the territory with pee. However if all else fails, they've invented puppy pads to put down on anything that have certain smells in them. Please remember to bring disposal bags when you walk the dogs to pick up the poop and I'm sorry neighbors but half the people own pets and the first five feet of most lawns is fair territory. I don't like the fact that some people don't want dogs on my lawns but let's face it the birds poop the squirrels poop the cats poop etc etc and I don't think that half an ounce of urine really does hurt in Lawns nor does anyone going to really look at a 1 in yellow spot as a defect in your character. I have some real nasty people where I live and I just try to avoid their lawn. Santa's not going to come to their home next year
Old 01-11-2022, 08:34 AM
Veteran member

Get a cat and don't worry about it.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:40 AM

Thanks to everyone who offered their suggestions for my concerns. Also, I am glad I was able to provide a few laughs!🤣
Old 01-11-2022, 08:40 AM

Thanks to everyone who offered their suggestions for my concerns. Also, I am glad I was able to provide a few laughs!🤣
Old 01-11-2022, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

There is quite a large informal group here in TV called 'The friends of the dog walkers.'
They allow dog walkers to use their front yards for dogs to empty on when out walking.
You can recognize the members, by the white crosses displayed in their yard.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
My wife is a dog sitter and would never think to let a dog pee on rocks. My own opinion is that when it gets to be summer in 2 weeks or so it's going to be very hot on the rocks and hurt their paws but other people may tell you different. I would much rather prefer grass to rocks and I have to get a cut once in a while. Dogs also naturally like to walk explore the neighborhood and it's good for you and your health. I'm sure you've also heard they like to Mark the territory with pee. However if all else fails, they've invented puppy pads to put down on anything that have certain smells in them. Please remember to bring disposal bags when you walk the dogs to pick up the poop and I'm sorry neighbors but half the people own pets and the first five feet of most lawns is fair territory. I don't like the fact that some people don't want dogs on my lawns but let's face it the birds poop the squirrels poop the cats poop etc etc and I don't think that half an ounce of urine really does hurt in Lawns nor does anyone going to really look at a 1 in yellow spot as a defect in your character. I have some real nasty people where I live and I just try to avoid their lawn. Santa's not going to come to their home next year
Our dogs are pretty smart retrievers and head for the shaded rocks. They're 14 and 8--no problems yet. I would never walk them during the day out on the street because of the heat on the flat road surface. And we don't walk on other people's grass, so the stones work fine for them between dawn and dusk.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:27 AM
Veteran member

My yard does not have grass and my 4 year old pup has no problem using it. It makes clean up easy as well and there are no brown spots from urine.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCsun View Post
I have just gotten a new puppy and live in a courtyard villa with no grass, only stones, which were here prior to my moving in. Should I remove some of the stones and add grass or just train the dog to use the stones. Right now it is hit or miss. Has anyone ever put grass in a small box for their pet? Any advise would be appreciated

Go on Amazon and check out dog turf. Designed with layers for liquid to go through. Some even have trays to go with them.
Artificial turf a bit to thin.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennshoess@aol.com View Post
Your dog will get use to it and guess what it’s much cleaner for you. Their paws are never dirty. I have taught all of my dogs to relieve themselves on gravel.
Wonder what the neighbors thought about the early training examples?
Old 01-11-2022, 03:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Our puppy was trained in a gravel yard in Key West, then brought to grass in Michigan. Our other dog (rescued at age 8) was trained on grass but does fine on stones, possibly because he saw the puppy (now 14) peeing in the stones.

Train your puppy on the stones. It will be so much more convenient for you. He will switch to grass easily. My results, anyway...
On a serious note, I would imagine that a stone yard would be easier to clean after the D's BM. You could just hose it downward into the ground. When deposited on grass, most people would scoop it up in a plastic bag and put it into a garbage can - so that it does not burn the grass. That seems like more time and work and messy.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
Santa is like the birds when he has to go. A special trap door toilet was installed custom-made for his sleigh.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
There is quite a large informal group here in TV called 'The friends of the dog walkers.'
They allow dog walkers to use their front yards for dogs to empty on when out walking.
You can recognize the members, by the white crosses displayed in their yard.
1st place for comments today. Very spiritual humor!
Old 01-11-2022, 09:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

In Florida we have grass so we just let the dog out back. Up north we have rock and grass and the dog will go on either at anytime.
Closed Thread

Tags
stones, grass, puppy, hit, dog

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.