Question for Cat Owners

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Default Question for Cat Owners

After moving here one year ago I decided it was time to find a veterinarian for my two cats. I read many recommendations on TOTV and I ended up going to Mulberry Grove Animal Hospital this morning. I was pleased with the doctor, but I wonder about advice she gave me and I hope someone out there has the knowledge to help me decide. The vet said I should treat my cats for heartworm. Coming from PA I was only ever aware of heartworm in dogs. She told me it is common in Florida with the hot weather. My cats are indoor cats although sometimes I do take them outside on a leash. One is 10 and one is 15 plus. I hate giving them anything that may not be necessary. Do any of you cat owners have your cats on heartworm medication? Any advice, thoughts appreciated.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Default Re: Question for Cat Owners

I also use the Mulberry vet and she told us the same thing. We did not go that route because our cat never goes outdoors. We are also from up north nad we never gave cats heartworm. Money maker for vet
DRD
Old 07-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Veteran member

When I lived in Souther NJ my vet recommended heartworm medication for my cats even though they never went out. They did, however, sit by open windows if that makes a difference. My vet made no money from it; I ordered the medication online.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:09 PM
Sage

My Vet said outdoor cats need heartworm medication and indoor cats do not. Therefore I don't medicate my cat.

I do give my dogs year-round heartworm medication. Although I'm not sure they need it during the winter months in TV when we have a few frosts. Not many mosquitos in central Florida during the winter months.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Veteran member

I have both my dog and cat on Heartgard. I don't like unnecessary medicating but I had a scare with my cat a little over a year ago. I ended up taking her to the University in Gainesville and there was a possiblilty she had heartworms. Heartworms can be treated in dogs but it is a killer in cats. Fortunately, she did not have them, but even the University vets recommended she be on heartworm meds. She is an indoor pet - I guess it is still possible and getting more common. I'm from the north also and never gave heartworm meds to cats but after what I went through with her and the thought of losing her from something I can prevent, I just feel better safe than sorry. She has no side effects from it and the tablet is about as big as an aspirin. I just crumble it into her food.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Veteran member

I took my cat yesterday for the first time to The Village vet. Thought she had impacted anal glands - she didn't, long story!

I asked the vet about heartworm meds and he advises it because he states "where there is water, there are mosquitoes and they can get in the house" He explained that it's a killer for cats and he has seen several cats with heartworm who were strictly indoor cats. Cats typically don't survive this.

I'm on the fence about this. Coming from up north, we never used Revelution, etc. and I hate usuing checmicals. The only reason she got a rabies vaccine is because its the law here as it is in most states.

I have friends with cats who live in TV. A few use it monthly and a few don't use it at all so I'm in the same situation - what do you do? The vet said he can't mandate but he strongly suggests it.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Veteran member

I do use Advantix on the dog but I don't use this or Revolution on the cat because she tends to have allergies and I don't think it would be good on her skin. That is why I feel the Heartgard is very important for her.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.