A REAL DUCK STORY...

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191
Default A REAL DUCK STORY...

Something really amazing happened in Downtown Spokane this week and I had to share the story with you. Joel, is a loan officer at Sterling Bank. He works downtown in a
second story office building, overlooking busy Riverside Avenue . Several weeks ago he watched a mother duck choose the cement awning outside his window as the uncanny place to build a nest above the sidewalk. The mallard laid nine eggs in a nest in the corner of the planter that is perched over 10 feet in the air. She dutifully kept the eggs warm for weeks and Monday afternoon all of her nine ducklings hatched.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Joel worried all night how the mamma duck was going to get those babies safely off their perch in a busy, downtown, urban environment to take to water, which typically happens in the first 48 hours of a duck hatching. Tuesday morning, Joel came to work and watched the mother duck encourage her babies to the edge of the perch with the intent to show them how to jump off!

The Villages Florida

The mother flew down below and started quacking to her babies above. In his disbelief Joel watched as the first fuzzy newborn toddled to the edge and astonishingly leapt into thin air, crashing onto the cement below. My brother couldn't watch how this might play out. He dashed out of his office and ran down the stairs the sidewalk where the first obedient duckling was stuporing near its mother from the near fatal fall.

The Villages Florida

Joel looked up. The second duckling was getting ready to jump! He quickly dodged under the awning while the mother duck quacked at him and the babies above. As the second one took the plunge, Joel jumped forward and caught it with his bare hands before it hit the cement. Safe and sound, he set it by the mamma and the other stunned sibling, still recovering from its painful leap.

The Villages Florida

One by one the babies continued to jump to join their anxious family below. Each time Joel hid under the awning just to reach out in the nick of time as the duckling made its free fall. The downtown sidewalk came to a standstill. Time after time, Joel was able to catch the remaining 7 and set them by their approving mother.

The Villages Florida

At this point Joel realized the duck family had only made part of its dangerous journey. They had 2 full blocks to walk across traffic, crosswalks, curbs, and pedestrians to get to the closest open water, the Spokane River

The Villages Florida

The onlooking office secretaries then joined in, and hurriedly brought an empty copy paper box to collect the babies. They carefully corralled them, with the mother's approval, and loaded them up into the white cardboard container. Joel held the box low enough for the mom to see her brood. He then slowly navigated through the downtown streets toward the Spokane River , as the mother waddled behind and kept her babies in sight.

The Villages Florida

As they reached the river, the mother took over and passed him, jumping into the river and quacking loudly. At the water's edge, the Sterling Bank office staff then tipped the box and helped shepherd the babies toward the water and to their mother after their adventurous ride.

The Villages Florida

All nine darling ducklings safely made it into the water and paddled up snugly to mamma duck. Joel said the mom swam in circles, looking back toward the beaming bank workers, and proudly quacking as if to say, 'See, we did it! Thanks for all the help!"

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Thankfully, one of the secretaries had a digital camera and was able to capture most of it (except the actual mid-air catching) in a series of attached photographs. Please join me in celebrating Joel -- The Downtown Duck Hero!

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 07-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Sage
Default Re: ...UNDER CONSTRUCTION....INCOMPLETE...STILL ADDING PICTURES

Awwww Barb,

What a heartwarming story and so beautifully written by you. Please tell your brother Hes my hero!!!!

I get very upset when I see the duckhunters come out in the fall here in upstate N.Y. I have observed how the mother duck always lets her babies eat first before she even thinks about eating herself. Then some a******* has to come along and shoot the mother for sport??? It really sickens me.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Platinum member

That is such a wonderful story! Here's another: I have helped many many turtle hatchlings safely cross a road. The mama turtle, would come ashore from the Narrow River in Narragansett and walk till she found a bush to dig under for her eggs, many times it was across a street. Naturally, when they hatched, off they would all go towards the river! Once there were as many as 50-60 all trying to get across the road. Luckily I was walking with my son and his 2 friends when this occured. 2 other adults from nearby joined in and we made sure every one of those toddler turtles made it to the water!! Do you think mama turtle was waiting in the water for them? I always wondered. I can't wait to see the photos!
Old 07-17-2008, 07:48 PM

Barb,
I was raised on a farm and I am a hugh fan of the underdog or underduck. ;D
I use to hand raise little mallard ducks who were born with birth defects. I have stories and stories about my ducks, chicks, pigs, rabbits, kittens, puppies, cows, horses. Anything that had a problem...I saved it.
Dad couldn't farm because everything became a pet. I could go on and on. I should write a book.

I LIKE YOUR BROTHER !

Old 07-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: A REAL DUCK STORY...

Now is that cool or what. WTG Joel & momma mallard.

F16
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.