Recommendation for a decent vet in the villages?

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Default Re: Recommendation for a decent vet in the villages?

My husband and I are owned and controlled by a 3-pound yorkie.

I've used PAWS twice. Never again. Too many friends have too many horror stories about that place. Also used Dr. McBride in Wildwood. I really liked her, but couldn't convince her to clean his teeth, although a few were loose. She kept telling me that his teeth were cleaner than most of the pet owners that came into her office.

When he developed a few infected-looking spots on his skin last week, I called to get him looked at. They couldn't see him until the middle of the next week. At 3 pounds, an infection could kill him in that length of time, so I decided it was time for a new vet.

Mulberry took him in on that day, gave him antibiotics, and he's now healed. I was very, very impressed with the office and, in particular, the vet. One of the first things she said was "this little boy needs a dental." He recently lost one tooth and has a few loose ones. His teeth have been brushed daily since I got him almost 10 years ago, but his teeth are not good. A yorkie trait, they say.

He has an appointment on 7/29 to have his teeth cleaned, and I'll be a basket case on that day! I asked the vet if she could give me a sedative, but no such luck. I'll add an update after that procedure is done...
Old 07-26-2008, 06:56 PM

I took the advice of several TOTV posters and went to Mulberry Grove and I was very pleased with the veterinarian (Dr. Jennifer Teitelbaum). She did recommend heartworm medicine for my cats, but I still do not know if I will heed her advice. She discovered my old guy has a hyper thyroid condition and he is now on pills. She even contacted me herself to tell me about his bloodwork.This may sound crazy but I was impressed when I picked up the pills they were already cut in half (dosage is 1/2 pill twice a day). Sometimes the little things are important especially when I hate cutting little pills myself!
Old 07-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Default Re: Avian Vet

Took my amazon Pedro to Animal clinic of Lady Lakes yesterday for first time. Of course I am partial to our Vet in Maine, however, she seemed to know what she was doing and let me stay while she trimmed his beak. She was thorough and did a good job handling him. I could not find any other Avian Vet in the area, and will continue to use her. She also has an amazon named Charlie who lives there at the clinic.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:21 AM

I would avoid PAWS at Laural Manor very high fees and didn't like the way they cared for my dog.

JUST MY FEELINGS
WILLY

We like the Vet in the shopping center on 301 in
Wildwood
Old 07-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Platinum member

CinCo, Willy, others:

I am sorry to hear negatives about Paws Hospital. Dr. Amy always treated The Cat with care and love, and was exceptional when I had to put him down last May.

I will have another cat in the house later this year, and will undoubtedly continue to use Paws, if for no other reasons than loyalty and proximity.

But, I'm interested in knowing what your problems were there.

SWR
Old 07-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Veteran member

I called PAWS to bring my cat in cause he was very sick and they said being my cat is not a patient I would have to wait for an appointment which was a week away. I called Mulberry Vet on 42 and they took me right away. For that reason alone I have been using them for both my cats and I think they get the best care available. I would not go anywhere else.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:57 PM
Sage

I agree FG. My hubby's a veterinarian and does relief work. He has not filled in at Paws, but he had his own clinic for 35 years in Illinois. I worked there part-time for the last 10 years overseeing the staff. We would never let a sick animal wait, even if we had never seen it before. Also, just a few tips, check out the staff as well as the doctors. I have a real thing about the way the staff interacts with the animals. And if someone answered the phone and said, Such and such Animal Hospital, hold please, without asking them if they COULD hold (it might be an emergency) they were fired on the spot! The animals in our clinic were treated with all the love and care that we give our own. So besides the doctor (of course number one) please be aware of how the staff interacts with your pets.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:03 AM
Veteran member

Chelsea....
Old 07-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Platinum member

Ches & FloridaGal:

Thanks for your insight. I shall keep such info in mind.

SWR

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.