Retractable Leashes and the Squares

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp509 View Post
I praise anyone who refuses to use retractable leashes - you are smart and showing true love and protection for your dog.
I second the post by mfp. I've never used retractable leashes, hate them.
Most people who take their pets to public places have them safely under control. Sadly, there are a few negligent pet owners who ruin it for everyone.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Veteran member
Default Just a question

What is the legal liability of the dog owner regarding the injuries the OP Aunt suffered. Sorry that this had to happen to her due to a careless dog owner.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Sage

I'm sure the responsible dog owner has offered to take care of the medical expenses, and will no doubt offer to pay a great deal for pain and suffering, and latent injuries.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Sage
Default Leave dogs home

Why do pet owners feel that a town square full of people is the proper place to bring their dog? Did the dog ask to go? Does the dog want to dance? Maybe he would like a drink from one of the kiosks? Come on people.....dogs would rather be home. Take them for a walk in appropriate places.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Why do pet owners feel that a town square full of people is the proper place to bring their dog? Did the dog ask to go? Does the dog want to dance? Maybe he would like a drink from one of the kiosks? Come on people.....dogs would rather be home. Take them for a walk in appropriate places.
A lot of people have more consideration for their dogs than they do other people....even their own children when they are small. I've seen homes where the dogs have more freedom and rights than the kids.

As much as we love our dog, it's an animal, not a human citizen nor member of the community.

As for bringing them to the squares, I think it should be allowed (I like it) at all hours except from 5-9pm when there are so many people present.

And I think there should be a local ordinance that says "no retractable leashes on sidewalks, streets, and squares". There are too many human feet/legs, vehicle wheels, etc. to get into trouble with the retractable leash, injuring people and the pet.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Veteran member

I agree there should be an ordinance that says "no retractable leashes etc". I took my dog Missy to a doggie picnic at one of the boarding places and they did not allow retractable leashes. People had to buy a regular leash before they could go in. It was a safety issue and I applaud them for doing it.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Sage

Wow this is certainly turning into a dictatorship like post. I would hope we would all have the "right" to do as we sit fit for our animals as long as we have concern for others. Someone could make a point no golf carts should be allowed in TV 'cause there are too many accidents and people that aren't careful.

Once again it is about personal responsibility - it is the dog's owner not the retractable leash that causes the problem Jeez - give it a rest already.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Wow this is certainly turning into a dictatorship like post. I would hope we would all have the "right" to do as we sit fit for our animals as long as we have concern for others. Someone could make a point no golf carts should be allowed in TV 'cause there are too many accidents and people that aren't careful.

Once again it is about personal responsibility - it is the dog's owner not the retractable leash that causes the problem Jeez - give it a rest already.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:

Well, I would agree with that to a certain extent, but just as we have rules about kids and pools, and rules about dogs not being off leash (are you listening, someone chuckering your doodle at Tamarind Grove mailboxes and pool?), I believe there's a need for restrictions where others' safety vs people's oblivion is involved.

At our marina in MI, the rule is your dog must be on a leash no longer than 6 feet, with you attached to the other end. Problem solved. This could easily be established at the squares.

I can see using a retractable for the purposes gomoho describes, but never off one's property. I personally see lack of control as a big issue with them, and concern for my dog's safety if he should decide to bolt after a squirrel.

I do not think dogs should be banned from the square, nor do I think anyone knows what my dog likes or doesn't like. I happen to know he prefers to be with us and people in general. That's why we chose a golden retriever.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Why do pet owners feel that a town square full of people is the proper place to bring their dog? Come on people.....dogs would rather be home. Take them for a walk in appropriate places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I do not think dogs should be banned from the square, nor do I think anyone knows what my dog likes or doesn't like. I happen to know he prefers to be with us and people in general. That's why we chose a golden retriever.
Dogs are allowed at the Town Squares. We rarely take our dogs to the Town Centers, but we really enjoy seeing other dogs there. It is up to dog owners to decide whether to take their pets there. Of course it must be done in a safe and respectful manner.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Sage

CFrance - I am curious about the doodle being chuckered at Tamarind mailbox and pool. Is this dog completely under control and simply enjoying his owner and play time or is he creating a problem for others? I know about the off leash rules, but is this really a problem for anyone? Wish I could find an open space to allow my dogs some play time, but can't trust them not to want to greet everyone so I don't do it. Just curious.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
CFrance - I am curious about the doodle being chuckered at Tamarind mailbox and pool. Is this dog completely under control and simply enjoying his owner and play time or is he creating a problem for others? I know about the off leash rules, but is this really a problem for anyone? Wish I could find an open space to allow my dogs some play time, but can't trust them not to want to greet everyone so I don't do it. Just curious.
I have seen the doodle a few times. The owner pulls up in a golf cart with the chucker on the roof. the dog can't wait for the chucker to come out. Like our golden, the doodle is so enamored/focused on the chucker that a cat could come sit on its tail and he would ignore it. There's something about retrievers and balls. And retrieving same. So no, no problems that I've seen.

I only have two problems with this. If someone walks by and the dog is running after the ball, forget it... The dog is so focused on the ball he could knock the person over. This is no small dog. (My golden has done this in a dog park.)

The second problem is that if enough complaints are made because dog owners continually pick and choose which rules they want to follow vis-a-vis the dogs, we all could end up suffering. I enjoy walking my dog up to check the mail, and again going up there for an after-dark, cooler walk with him. I don't want anyone jeopardizing my right to do that nor the other few areas of freedom we dog owners have, especially when there's a dog park equally as big as Tamarind Grove mailbox area a mile or two away where they could run the dog.

Plus, since these retrievers are so focused on the ball, it's possible to chucker with them across your own backyard. We do this and have controll due to his obsession with the chucker. No need to flaunt the rules.

Auto fill not liking the word chucker!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Sage

makes sense - thanks for sharing your thoughts
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.