Rio Grand unofficial dog park

Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2019, 08:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
That should help with showing who owns what of that Rio Grande area field used in the past as a make shift dog run. Dog owners have been using it for one since at least 2008 if not before.
Dog owners have been trespassing on that property since at least 2004.(when I moved here)
Old 06-14-2019, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Dog owners have been trespassing on that property since at least 2004.(when I moved here)
I did not get a dog until January of 2007 but had heard of people using it for a long time. It sounded like that they were a few hold-outs who did not want to sell their property to the Villages.

Too bad some of the dog owners stopped picking up after their pooches.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
???? Using property that is not posted and has a welcoming access point is not trespassing. It is an open field with no homes and is used by the owner(s) for nothing but harvesting hay bails. I have had several occasions to converse with the very friendly folks operating the equipment used to make the big rolls of hay. A couple of them even asked if they could pet my dog. That my friend is not trespassing!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Probably an honest mistake. I was going to buy a property that backed onto that lot. I asked the real estate agent what was going on there as it looked empty and she didn’t know. She stopped some of the people who lived next door and asked them and no one seemed to know anything. So I could see how that could be interpreted as an open area.
Also, it would seem that that area of the Villages is underserved with dog parks.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
???? Using property that is not posted and has a welcoming access point is not trespassing. It is an open field with no homes and is used by the owner(s) for nothing but harvesting hay bails. I have had several occasions to converse with the very friendly folks operating the equipment used to make the big rolls of hay. A couple of them even asked if they could pet my dog. That my friend is not trespassing!
OK if you say so. I don't have a dog in this fight and like you and the others.... it's not my property! I don't care if you use it. I really don't. Actually I like having a smaller number of dogs at the Postal Stations. Just looked it up TRESPASSING

From an online dictionary I found real quick:

trespassing
enter the owner's land or property without permission.
"there is no excuse for trespassing on railroad property"
synonyms: enter without permission, intrude on, encroach on, invade, infringe, impinge on; archaicentrench on
"there is no excuse for trespassing on railroad property"
make unfair claims on or take advantage of (something).
"she really must not trespass on his hospitality"
synonyms: take advantage of, impose on, make use of, play on, exploit, abuse, make unfair claims on
"I must not trespass on your good nature"

Old 06-14-2019, 10:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,456 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
My back yard doesn't have any postings warning people to keep away. It also has a walkway leading to it from the road through the driveway. If you decide you want to come through the "welcoming access point" to my "not posted" back yard, you will be trespassing.

Everyone who uses my back yard as a walk-through to the neighbor's house, will be trespassing. The only difference between trespassing on my back yard and trespassing in that field, is that I am likely to press charges and the dead property owner of the field is not.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:53 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
You are so wrong.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Have you ever been to this area? Speculation without first hand knowledge is dangerous, actual observations from people who frequent this property carries much more credible weight.
Spell it out for me real slowly what I said that was incorrect. If it is/was private property a non-owner has no right to go onto the property, that is trespassing. I don't have to have "been there" to make that determination. From the posts on this subject it appears that the land is privately owned.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
If it was not sanctioned then why did they have an opening in the fenced area allowing access knowing exactly what people (and their dogs) where using the property for? In fact, several times I used the property and was given a friendly wave from the community watch person hanging out in the parking lot.
The Community Watch driver that goes thru our village always waves......they are friendly.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Probably a tenant with no authority to allow or deny access.
Would it have made any difference if they had not been friendly?
Old 06-15-2019, 08:21 AM
Sage

Fact Sheet on Gopher tortoise | North Florida ESO Jacksonville

This is a 20 acre plus area of field just south of the Rio Grande Pool and Mail Center.

I had heard that the Gopher Tortoises that are in that field MAY have had something to do with these various properties not being sold.

They do have large burrows in that field.

I used to take Sport there back around 2007- 2014 once in a while for some variety. There were a lot of regulars there. People who used that field about every day. Some of them are Talk of the Villages members even if I do not remember them posting in quite some time. Sport passed in 2014 and we got Beau who needs a leash or a fenced in field. This field is not fenced in except for a decorative fence on one side.

Unless they have made changes. I have not been in that field since 2014.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 06-15-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:55 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

After having four dogs prior to retirement, we didn’t replace our last one because we wanted to travel and didn’t think it was fair to the dog for us to be gone for long periods of time. Also, didn’t want the responsibility either. Our dogs always were fenced, trained and had fairly large yards to roam. Obviously, that is not the case in retirement communities such as TV. Dog parks are a nice alternative when you don’t have a larger yard to keep your dog. OP, the area you describe probably needs a dog park. Perhaps some of that property could be purchased for one. Just thinking out loud.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
After having four dogs prior to retirement, we didn’t replace our last one because we wanted to travel and didn’t think it was fair to the dog for us to be gone for long periods of time. Also, didn’t want the responsibility either. Our dogs always were fenced, trained and had fairly large yards to roam. Obviously, that is not the case in retirement communities such as TV. Dog parks are a nice alternative when you don’t have a larger yard to keep your dog. OP, the area you describe probably needs a dog park. Perhaps some of that property could be purchased for one. Just thinking out loud.
That is a good idea. Paradise Dog Park is close but is quite small. Dog Parks
Old 06-15-2019, 10:42 AM
Sage

I don't live near the Rio Grande pool and I don't own a dog. I simply want to correct misinformation that has been posted. So, here goes ...

Look at the attachment. It is a screenshot from a Lake County website.

-- The pool and the field south of it are in Lake County.
-- The pool is under the 3606779 label.
-- The big field actually consists of many small parcels. The parcel boundaries are shown by the lines.
-- Most of the parcels are owned by The Villages. However, some are owned by various private individuals.
-- I did not look at every parcel. However, of those that I looked at, no private individual owns more than one parcel.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rio Grande area.pdf (570.6 KB, 139 views)
Old 06-15-2019, 11:11 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Florida Trespass Statute:

Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine

Closed Thread

Tags
dog, area, villages, grand, access

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.