Rules for dog owners

Closed Thread
Old 12-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Default Rules for dog owners

Playing golf at Briarwood today;;; along the cart path someone took their dog for a walk and let him do his business (s##t)
First of all,cart paths are for golfers,and not to walk your dog.
Secondly they should have picked up.Most of us know the rules, and I would assume the culprit was some one who made their first visit here and does not know the rules.
Also on my front lawn, the other day I noticed some one else let their dog do the same thing on my lawn.Nobody picked it up.
A day or 2 later I noticed a person walking their dog and letting the dog use my lawn for their personnel bath room.I immediatly told her not to let her dog use my lawn for a bathroom,she got very upset and told me she picks up,I asked how do you pick up urine.(no answer)
I like animals very much,but keep yours on your property,do not give them a 50 foot leash,do not bring them where they do not belong. Your animal may be cute to you but to other people they are a nuisance.
Thank You
Old 12-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoshow View Post
Playing golf at Briarwood today;;; along the cart path someone took their dog for a walk and let him do his business (s##t)
First of all,cart paths are for golfers,and not to walk your dog.
Secondly they should have picked up.Most of us know the rules, and I would assume the culprit was some one who made their first visit here and does not know the rules.
Also on my front lawn, the other day I noticed some one else let their dog do the same thing on my lawn.Nobody picked it up.
A day or 2 later I noticed a person walking their dog and letting the dog use my lawn for their personnel bath room.I immediatly told her not to let her dog use my lawn for a bathroom,she got very upset and told me she picks up,I asked how do you pick up urine.(no answer)
I like animals very much,but keep yours on your property,do not give them a 50 foot leash,do not bring them where they do not belong. Your animal may be cute to you but to other people they are a nuisance.
Thank You
I feel bad for you. You are absolutely in the right. I would no more let my animals bother people or invade a persons space than I would or did my children. Children and animals are an extension of one's self and you can quickly see who is selfish and feel immune from rules.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Autoshow...

You are my kind of person........and there's darn few of us left .....

fumar

" can you say daisy air rifle" ...
Old 12-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Founder

This subject is my major gripe here in the Villages. While I'm sure it happens elsewhere, this is where I see it.

There is this coot down the street that allows his dog to do it every single day in my neighbors yard. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!!!!! My neighbors yell at him, I yell at him, others yell at him, we all try to talk nicely to him, but he tells us to ***k off. The last time I spoke to him about it, he said, "Awwwww, everybody does it, mind your own ****ing buiness." At one time, I posted a picture here on Talk of The Villages, of he and his dog doing their daily ****.

Can somebody please advise me as to what can be done? He is not breaking any civil law, just a major ethics violation.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:41 PM

very simple way to solve this problem.
Simply collect lots of do do from dogs, then place all the do do on the marks front step.

You may have to repeat a couple of times, but mark will catch on real good this way.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I agree, I would pick it up and put it on his porch.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Gold member
Default It's tough to manage bumpkus dog...

I have a 100+ pound yellow lab... kind as can be but kinda dumb. Fortunately we live on a corner lot but old Bumpkus likes to take walks. I am fanatical about respecting others property. Unfortunately we live deep in Duval, a mile from the main road, Odell Circle ,where there are areas old Bumpkus can still do his duty when were on a walk without freaking me or anybody else out. Problem is, it's tough teaching an 8 yo lab from the mountains of Central Pa to hold it till he gets to an ok area... I think he's slowly learning but itsa slow learning curve. I will not have another dog in TV after old Bumpkus finds that golden fireplug in the sky.... Till then we walk in the MIDDLE of the streets till we get to a "safe" area. Others should too.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Banned

What I like about my courtyard villa - my two terriers have the peace of their own fenced yard, and the dog door makes life even better!

We do take them for walks, and the construction area off Amelia, and the cart path along 466A have been peaceful areas to be. the sidewalks of Odell are okay, but not very peaceful. As the terriers rarely walk in the neighborhood (they love the golf cart), calls to nature in any yard area are very rare (and Publix plastic bags work well!).

I can appreciate being ticked off at the boorish pet owner. Sometimes it seems the wrong critter gets licensed where pets are concerned.

If you get upset with my dogs if I screw up, you've got a right when I'm in the wrong. If you get upset with dogs just because they live, have a drink and chill.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoshow View Post
Every dog owner should pick up after their pet, WHEREVER THEY ARE. All dog owners know this. A first visit isn't an excuse.

No-one loves dogs more than I do. But I sure don't like seeing dog crap around. And I find it despicable that a few irresponsible pet owners ruin it for everyone else. We have all agreed here on TOTV many times that responsible pet owners pick up, and dogs are not to blame.

But occasionally there are rude, inconsiderate, even dirty people. Who don't pick up, even if it is pointed out to them. And in that case, I would think poop on the stoop would get the message across.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Taltarzac
Default Call for more dog parks in TV.

Think that we need more dog parks in the Villages or near them than the three existing ones.

I take my dog to the Doggie Doo Run Run every morning to do his pooping and at night carry a flashlight so that I can pick up after him. Not much you can do about the urinating though even if the males usually pee on fireplugs, lampposts, bushes, and various other things they find attractive for marking.

More dog parks though in TV would allow more people in TV to get their dogs out to do their business closer to home while also respecting other Villagers' property.

I do know that there are other places Villagers take their dogs out to do their business and play which are not sanctioned dog parks here in the Villages. From what I have heard there has been a lot of friction from the Villages management about these dog meeting places.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 12-28-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac View Post

Think that we need more dog parks in the Villages or near them than the three existing ones.
I agree 100% Tal. This would solve a lot of problems and benefit both dog owners and residents that don't like dogs.

If TV allows 2 dogs per household, they should provide dog parks. It is that simple. Otherwise it is a recipe for problems.

We don't golf or play tennis or pickleball, but we cheerfully pay our amenitity bill. All we are asking is for a few scruffy areas that are fenced for dog walking.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:10 AM

I live in a CY, so I let my dog go there before I take her for a walk. Pet owners I'm sure realize that urine does burn the grass and pets should only use public places or the road. I take my dog to the dog run behind the mailboxes in Rio Grande. They even have plastic bags to pick up after your dog there. My dog has white fur and she gets her paws very dirty when walking on the asphalt, so most of the time I drive her over to the dog run.
Malverne, NY
Stormville, NY
PT TV
Old 12-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Banned

All the dog parks in the world won'[t change the slug who just opens his door, lets the dog out, and watches (sometimes) the dog from the doorway. Since the plat plan is not written in the canine language, the dog does not have true knowledge of the property line - and to me it's no different than if the owner him/herself walked out and "deposited" on the neighbor's yard. Laziness and apathy aren't fixable via more facilities.

The same holds true for the owner who doesn't bother bringing a bag or two to pick up after their dog, and the owner either tries to look sheepish or just acts arrogantly. That's just "slug" behavior by a person on the lower end of the homo sapiens development chain.

Yep - "return to sender" of the unsolicited product does seem proper.....
Old 12-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Veteran member

Gotta feel for the property owners along Glenview's Fox Run number 3 green, and number 4 (the par 3). Played it many times and hear a constant yipping/barking from doggy doo run. Noticed some places for sale....good luck unless prospective buyers are dog lovers and hard of hearing. Has to affect property values.

Before you get riled up.......we are pet (cat and dog) lovers and life support systems for each but would never want a dog park within yipping/barking distance of our house.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Platinum member

There is an open area right off of the Lopez course. The Villages seems to use it as a small storage space for some equipment and a few truck beds. In the evening (4-7pm) I have seen many people bringing their dogs via golf cart or walking (on the recreation path that goes through Lopez). This seems to be a major dog walking area...I don't know if it is sanctioned or not. Perhaps one of the places that Tal was referring to...however I figure if the management doesn't have a problem with unsightly 18 wheeler truck beds just sitting there....the dogs can use it for a bathroom....

PS...I see the dog owners clean up!!

Personally I will stick with my cats and the "hidden" litter box! My parents just got a dog (schnoodle) and I have never seen them so tired in their lives!!!

My last thought is for Talk Host...a while back you asked why so many people drive their golf carts with their dogs a long for the ride! I didn't understand this either...but perhaps they are the kind hearted dog owners bringing them to the dog parks!! Now I get it!

Suzy Toronto
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.