Service dog at Publix this morning.

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2019, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Service dog at Publix this morning.

Just returned from Publix and I encountered a woman with a service dog on the traditional restraint that you see with those leading the blind. The owner was not blind. The dog was a little smaller than a black lab and was probably a mix. I had a lot of shopping to do and saw the pair several times in the hour I was there. At all times the dog had it's head down, and his/her tail between his legs. He looked sad and dejected, didn't look at people at all, his head was way down.

I wonder if people who know about service animals would say that is typical and desired behavior? It was far more than NOT interacting....to me anyway.

All service dogs who I have seen before have had their heads up and give you a direct look and you see a wagging tail from time to time. I don't know why, I felt bad for the pup. I felt I had seen an abused child. Of course I said nothing.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-14-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:38 PM
Veteran member

Probably not a Service Dog...unfortunately many people are ‘designating’ their pets as comfort dogs and assuming they have the same rights as a service dog...they don’t.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:42 PM
Sage

Could it be a dog in training? I know of several people in T.V. who do that. Dogs are trained NOT to interact with people when they're "working". I wasn't there so can't say further to the matter.

BUT if she was abusing that service then it's a deplorable disservice to the actual folks who need a service dog!! I wish the laws were more stringent on that matter.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:50 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Possibly a pup being trained to be a service dog? However, from the description you gave, it would fail miserably. Service dogs have to be comfortable in all surroundings. A dog with head down and tail between legs is a lot of things, but comfortable is not one of them.

Wish people would understand that all dogs provide a service but not all dogs are meant to be service dogs. Dogs give love, security, a sense of family. Service dogs are trained to help humans. Comfort dogs are beloved pets and deserve to feel safe, secure and loved. They don’t belong in stores, restaurants, etc.

Business owners do all a great disservice by allowing people to bring in any dog they please. There are questions a business owner can legally ask to confirm the dog is in fact a service dog. Governments could make life a lot easier by requiring that service dogs be licensed, with proof of appropriate training.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-14-2019, 06:50 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

The dog probably prefers Winn-Dixie.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Oh Dew. You are such a mood lightener. Good morning sir.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Oh Dew. You are such a mood lightener. Good morning sir.
I agree. I sometimes give up on the threads on this forum because they depress me, but then along comes dew. Even the most contentious threads become worth reading just to find his posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Possibly a pup being trained to be a service dog? However, from the description you gave, it would fail miserably. Service dogs have to be comfortable in all surroundings. A dog with head down and tail between legs is a lot of things, but comfortable is not one of them.

Wish people would understand that all dogs provide a service but not all dogs are meant to be service dogs. Dogs give love, security, a sense of family. Service dogs are trained to help humans. Comfort dogs are beloved pets and deserve to feel safe, secure and loved. They don’t belong in stores, restaurants, etc.

Business owners do all a great disservice by allowing people to bring in any dog they please. There are questions a business owner can legally ask to confirm the dog is in fact a service dog. Governments could make life a lot easier by requiring that service dogs be licensed, with proof of appropriate training.
Also enjoy your level headed, well written, informative posts.

Last edited by Abby10; 01-14-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
I agree. I sometimes give up on the threads on this forum because they depress me, but then along comes dew. Even the most contentious threads become worth reading just to find his posts.

Also enjoy your level headed, well written, informative posts.
I heartily support the concept of service dogs. Also support Handicapped parking. Both being grossly abused by the "Entitled"
Old 01-14-2019, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
I heartily support the concept of service dogs. Also support Handicapped parking. Both being grossly abused by the "Entitled"

Without a doubt, both are sometimes "grossly abused"...and it is very irritating.

And while my first inclination sometimes is to say something, I'm also smart enough to know that a person can't always tell what is the truth...just by observation.

So while it goes against my internal 'Fairness Doctrine' and is frustrating, I've chosen to just think my own thoughts...instead of verbalizing/confronting the people in question.

When it comes right down to it, those types of people ("entitled") very seldom directly affect us in a detrimental way regarding fake service dogs/handicap parking...so why even publicly open our mouths about it?

After all, the last I checked anyway, very few of us have been appointed/assigned...to 'stick our noses into it.'

But there will always be some....

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 01-14-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

Without a doubt, both are sometimes "grossly abused"...and it is very irritating.

And while my first inclination sometimes is to say something, I'm also smart enough to know that a person can't always tell what is the truth...just by observation.

So while it goes against my internal 'Fairness Doctrine' and is frustrating, I've chosen to just think my own thoughts...instead of verbalizing/confronting the people in question.

When it comes right down to it, those types of people ("entitled") very seldom directly affect us in a detrimental way regarding fake service dogs/handicap parking...so why even publicly open our mouths about it?

After all, the last I checked anyway, very few of us have been appointed/assigned...to 'stick our noses into it.'

But there will always be some....
I don't understand your point.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I posted my original post on the wrong Thread. Sorry.

We have no Dog in This Fight.

Last edited by Nucky; 01-16-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

///

Last edited by Nucky; 01-16-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, service, head, times, felt

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.