Service dog at Publix this morning.

Service dog at Publix this morning.

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Service dog at Publix this morning.
  #1  
Old 01-13-2019, 12:03 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 35,750
Default Service dog at Publix this morning.

Just returned from Publix and I encountered a woman with a service dog on the traditional restraint that you see with those leading the blind. The owner was not blind. The dog was a little smaller than a black lab and was probably a mix. I had a lot of shopping to do and saw the pair several times in the hour I was there. At all times the dog had it's head down, and his/her tail between his legs. He looked sad and dejected, didn't look at people at all, his head was way down.

I wonder if people who know about service animals would say that is typical and desired behavior? It was far more than NOT interacting....to me anyway.

All service dogs who I have seen before have had their heads up and give you a direct look and you see a wagging tail from time to time. I don't know why, I felt bad for the pup. I felt I had seen an abused child. Of course I said nothing.
__________________
I have to be myself, everyone else is taken.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-14-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 01-13-2019, 12:38 PM
N44125's Avatar
N44125 N44125 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 467
Default

Probably not a Service Dog...unfortunately many people are ‘designating’ their pets as comfort dogs and assuming they have the same rights as a service dog...they don’t.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 01-13-2019, 12:42 PM
NotGolfer NotGolfer is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Villages
Posts: 2,931
Default

Could it be a dog in training? I know of several people in T.V. who do that. Dogs are trained NOT to interact with people when they're "working". I wasn't there so can't say further to the matter.

BUT if she was abusing that service then it's a deplorable disservice to the actual folks who need a service dog!! I wish the laws were more stringent on that matter.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-13-2019, 12:50 PM
redwitch's Avatar
redwitch redwitch is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,025
Default

Possibly a pup being trained to be a service dog? However, from the description you gave, it would fail miserably. Service dogs have to be comfortable in all surroundings. A dog with head down and tail between legs is a lot of things, but comfortable is not one of them.

Wish people would understand that all dogs provide a service but not all dogs are meant to be service dogs. Dogs give love, security, a sense of family. Service dogs are trained to help humans. Comfort dogs are beloved pets and deserve to feel safe, secure and loved. They don’t belong in stores, restaurants, etc.

Business owners do all a great disservice by allowing people to bring in any dog they please. There are questions a business owner can legally ask to confirm the dog is in fact a service dog. Governments could make life a lot easier by requiring that service dogs be licensed, with proof of appropriate training.
__________________
Army/embassy brat - traveled too much to mention
Moved here from SF Bay Area (East Bay)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-14-2019, 06:50 AM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 3,920
Default

The dog probably prefers Winn-Dixie.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-14-2019, 07:59 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 35,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
The dog probably prefers Winn-Dixie.
Oh Dew. You are such a mood lightener. Good morning sir.
__________________
I have to be myself, everyone else is taken.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-14-2019, 08:35 AM
Abby10 Abby10 is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southeastern PA, soon to be Village of Dunedin
Posts: 5,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
The dog probably prefers Winn-Dixie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Oh Dew. You are such a mood lightener. Good morning sir.
I agree. I sometimes give up on the threads on this forum because they depress me, but then along comes dew. Even the most contentious threads become worth reading just to find his posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Possibly a pup being trained to be a service dog? However, from the description you gave, it would fail miserably. Service dogs have to be comfortable in all surroundings. A dog with head down and tail between legs is a lot of things, but comfortable is not one of them.

Wish people would understand that all dogs provide a service but not all dogs are meant to be service dogs. Dogs give love, security, a sense of family. Service dogs are trained to help humans. Comfort dogs are beloved pets and deserve to feel safe, secure and loved. They don’t belong in stores, restaurants, etc.

Business owners do all a great disservice by allowing people to bring in any dog they please. There are questions a business owner can legally ask to confirm the dog is in fact a service dog. Governments could make life a lot easier by requiring that service dogs be licensed, with proof of appropriate training.
Also enjoy your level headed, well written, informative posts.

Last edited by Abby10; 01-14-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-14-2019, 12:09 PM
Challenger's Avatar
Challenger Challenger is offline
Platinum member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Biscayne Villas
Posts: 1,924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
I agree. I sometimes give up on the threads on this forum because they depress me, but then along comes dew. Even the most contentious threads become worth reading just to find his posts.



Also enjoy your level headed, well written, informative posts.
I heartily support the concept of service dogs. Also support Handicapped parking. Both being grossly abused by the "Entitled"
__________________
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke 1729-1797
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-14-2019, 12:28 PM
ColdNoMore's Avatar
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 7,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
I heartily support the concept of service dogs. Also support Handicapped parking. Both being grossly abused by the "Entitled"


Without a doubt, both are sometimes "grossly abused"...and it is very irritating.

And while my first inclination sometimes is to say something, I'm also smart enough to know that a person can't always tell what is the truth...just by observation.

So while it goes against my internal 'Fairness Doctrine' and is frustrating, I've chosen to just think my own thoughts...instead of verbalizing/confronting the people in question.

When it comes right down to it, those types of people ("entitled") very seldom directly affect us in a detrimental way regarding fake service dogs/handicap parking...so why even publicly open our mouths about it?

After all, the last I checked anyway, very few of us have been appointed/assigned...to 'stick our noses into it.'

But there will always be some....
__________________
Standing up for the underdog and against bullies...every chance I get.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 01-14-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-14-2019, 01:17 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 35,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post


Without a doubt, both are sometimes "grossly abused"...and it is very irritating.

And while my first inclination sometimes is to say something, I'm also smart enough to know that a person can't always tell what is the truth...just by observation.

So while it goes against my internal 'Fairness Doctrine' and is frustrating, I've chosen to just think my own thoughts...instead of verbalizing/confronting the people in question.

When it comes right down to it, those types of people ("entitled") very seldom directly affect us in a detrimental way regarding fake service dogs/handicap parking...so why even publicly open our mouths about it?

After all, the last I checked anyway, very few of us have been appointed/assigned...to 'stick our noses into it.'

But there will always be some....
I don't understand your point.
__________________
I have to be myself, everyone else is taken.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dog, service, head, times, felt

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.