Sick Cat

Closed Thread
Old 08-05-2008, 02:35 AM
Veteran member
Default Sick Cat

My cat Missy has to have radioiodine therapy for hyperthroidism. Have to take her to Tampa next week where she will have it done. Have to leave her there for two days and then I can pick her up. The outlook for her after this treatment is excellent.

Everyone please wish us good luck.

Thanks,
Old 08-05-2008, 03:03 AM
Sage
Default Re: Sick Cat

Aww, poor Missy, she won't enjoy being without you for two days. But I'm glad to hear that her prognosis is good. Good luck, we'll be thinking of you.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:23 AM
Dancing Thyme

Aww, Gal, she'll be fine, good luck to both of you. I know its hard when they have to go to the hospital but she's in the best of care I'm sure. Prognosis sounds promising. Good luck, to FG and Missy. Keep us posted.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 08-05-2008, 11:17 AM

My cat was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I have been using a holistic formula twice daily and an all natural diet. Also giving her distilled water. I have been working with both my regular vet and a holistic vet. Her last blood work showed her numbers were indeed coming down. Yea! However, if this does not continue, I will consider the Ruskin, FL route that you have decided on. Very best of luck to you BOTH.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:40 PM

Unbelievable! My cat Ivan was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. My vet wanted me to go the radioiodine therapy route, however when she told me 2nd best was pills I decided on the pills. He is very old. I will have his blood tested again in a week or two to see if the pills are working. JBSMOM - is distilled water better for our cats? Floridgal - best of luck.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:45 PM

Re. distilled water. I don't know what the theory is. For the first 3 months, I was to just give her regular distilled water to drink. Then, add 1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt to each bottle. I'm so happy with her blood test results, I will continue. I figure it cannot hurt her.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Veteran member

I've been using the water fountain where you replace the filter every couple of months and that has helped alot as the water is going through a filter and they are drinking more. They really love it.

Be careful with the pills. Missy was on the pills for awhile and she started to loose her hair on her face and it was itchy and she scratched until it bleed. That is one of the side effects. It worked while she was on it, but the side effects made me go for the operation.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Sage

FG, I asked vetman (my hubby) and he said that radioiodine is the best way to go. It's extremely successful in cats. Good Luck and pm me if you have any questions we can help with. chels
Old 08-06-2008, 11:35 AM

Chelsea is absolutely correct. The procedure done in Ruskin/Tampa is nearly always very successful. My problem is that my kitty has never been away from me and she frightens easily. We are afraid the trauma of the trip and the separation would be too much for her. Good luck -- I'm sure you will be happy with the choice you have made for your kitty.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Veteran member

Missy has never been away from me either but from what I read about this place they will take good care of her and give her all the attention she needs.

I will keep you all advised as to her treatment and recovery.

Thank you all for wishing her well.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Just another voice wishing you and Missy the best. I know how hard it is to be separated from our furbabies when they're not feeling well. At least you've checked this place out and know you're doing the best thing for her. HUGS

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for the hugs. Greatly appreciated. Like I said, I will keep you all advised. We are taking her to Tampa on Tuesday.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:39 AM

Floridagal, thinking about you today. Hope all goes well. Let us know -- when can you bring your cat home?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagal
Thanks for the hugs. Greatly appreciated. Like I said, I will keep you all advised. We are taking her to Tampa on Tuesday.
We care. How is Missy doing?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Veteran member

Missy came home today and she is doing great. Back to her old self.

Missy was given a "Purrtificate of Completion". It states that she completed the course of Radioiodine (I_131) Therapy treatment for Feline Hyperthyroidism with a high order of proficiency in the science and art of being cheerful, courageous, tolerant, praiseworthy and maintaining a superior attitude. It was signed by her doctor and nurse.

I thought that was real neat.

I always new she was a special cat as well as her brother TC.

Thanks again to all of you for your best wishes and concern. It was greatly appreciated.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.