Sumter County Animal Control Call to action

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2019, 03:13 PM
Sage
Default Sumter County Animal Control Call to action

Call To Action

It has been suggested we have a “Call to Action” for the community to come to the next Board of County Commissioners meeting. We have not asked anyone to come to the meetings in a long time and the commissioners may be of the impression no one cares any longer.

Sumter County Animal Control shows numbers for the killing of our dogs to be down. However, as pointed out, when the numbers started going down is the same time we caught them altering the numbers.

The County still refuses to allow volunteers in the facility, so we really don’t know what the numbers are or where the dogs are going.

From day one, we have asked for transparency and today, we still do not have it.

Has it gotten better? Yes. No denying that. We are no longer run off from the property and they no longer call the police on people if they go near the facility. But we are far from being where we need to be.

We have given the commissioners all the information they need to go No Kill. The community has made it clear it’s what they want.

It’s time we go back in force and tell the commissioners yet again, we want a No Kill Facility,

To be clear, The Villages and the county are two different governments. Do not be fooled… they work together… but they are separate. What Mr. Baier, the District Manager of The Villages, is doing to put our pets in the county pound, is a different issue than how the pound Is being run by the county.
You ask me what you need to do to help. Be at this meeting! Bring your friends. All animal lovers need to be there.

The next meeting is March 26th
Colony Cottage Regional Recreation Center
510 Colony Blvd.
Parlor Room
The Villages, FL 32162

Now… it’s up to you. If you don’t show, we will know this isn’t as important to you as we felt it is and we will stop fighting for a NO Kill Shelter.

Al Butler Al.Butler@sumtercountyfl.gov
Doug Gilpin Doug.Gilpin@sumtercountyfl.gov
Don Burgess Don.Burgess@sumtercountyfl.gov
Garry Breeden Garry.Breeden@sumtercountyfl.gov
Stephen Printz Stephen.Printz@sumtercountyfl.gov

Please Comment and Share!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	dog_in_animal_shelter_0.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	78874  
Old 03-16-2019, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

What time is the meeting?
Old 03-16-2019, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,230 Posts

Angie, you specifically mention dogs, but does this apply to cats, and specifically micro-chipped cats?
Old 03-16-2019, 05:09 PM

Wow, sorry to hear about their response to people visiting the facility. I would think that if it is tax funded, anybody should have the right to go in and check. I am moving in the next few months to The Villages from a city that once had a high kill shelter. After hiring a new director, we were able to cut euthanasia rate to about 7%, which qualifies as no kill. Only animals with very serious injuries or medical conditions were euthanized. We started a jail program where inmates were trained to train the "over enthusiastic" dogs some manners, making them more adoptable. No animal is euthanized "because their number is up." There are many creative ways to accomplish this.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mills3186 View Post
Wow, sorry to hear about their response to people visiting the facility. I would think that if it is tax funded, anybody should have the right to go in and check. I am moving in the next few months to The Villages from a city that once had a high kill shelter. After hiring a new director, we were able to cut euthanasia rate to about 7%, which qualifies as no kill. Only animals with very serious injuries or medical conditions were euthanized. We started a jail program where inmates were trained to train the "over enthusiastic" dogs some manners, making them more adoptable. No animal is euthanized "because their number is up." There are many creative ways to accomplish this.
There is a program like that one with the prisoners in Ocala who train 5 dogs over a certain period. I know one of these trained pooches rather well. The FIDO Project (Florida Inmates and Dog Obedience) | Marion County, FL
Old 03-17-2019, 08:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
what time is the meeting?

5:00. Pm
Old 03-17-2019, 08:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Angie, you specifically mention dogs, but does this apply to cats, and specifically micro-chipped cats?
I feel there is a worse situation with the cats. Animal Control doesn’t post pictures of the found cats do people can find them.

However, I work with the dogs. The cat group, for reasons I don’t understand, has not gotten involved in this issue.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
There is a program like that one with the prisoners in Ocala who train 5 dogs over a certain period. I know one of these trained pooches rather well. The FIDO Project (Florida Inmates and Dog Obedience) | Marion County, FL
There are a lot of programs they could get involved in. They choose not to.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:26 PM
Veteran member

I will be there

Closed Thread

Tags
county, numbers, commissioners, longer, it’s

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.