Three Dogs

Closed Thread
Old 08-05-2019, 08:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

What your salesman is really saying is "you can get away with it". The restrictions say two pets. And, if I am not mistaken, some of the districts have a one pet limit.

So, is there a risk that you may receive the dredded knock on the door from Community Standards. Yes. But, as many have said, it is unlikely. One suggestion - don't walk all three at the same time.

And most importantly: Thank you for being concerned enough to ask.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
What your salesman is really saying is "you can get away with it". The restrictions say two pets. And, if I am not mistaken, some of the districts have a one pet limit.

So, is there a risk that you may receive the dredded knock on the door from Community Standards. Yes. But, as many have said, it is unlikely. One suggestion - don't walk all three at the same time.

And most importantly: Thank you for being concerned enough to ask.
Thank you, our sales person actually said we are allowed to, not that we can get away with it. This weekend we asked him to confirm that we are allowed to have 3 on move in (Taylor Villas allows 2 per the covenants, some only allow one) and he said he would research it and get back to us.

I have not heard of the knock on the door, I have heard of a letter. Whatever, it would not be a good thing and we certainly do not want to cause a problem.

While the Shih Zhu might fit in a large purse when we walk, the Great Pyrenees probably would be a little cramped, even in my back pack!

Here is a thought, question, if you have 2 dogs and the convenient for your village allows 2 dogs, and you neighbor has to run out of town and asks you to dog sit for them, can you? Is that a violation? Since you have 3 dogs in your house, but YOU personally only have 2 of them. The covenant specially says you can only HAVE 2 pets, it doesn't specify how many visitors can be on the property.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Just put a Little White Cross or some decorative Birds in your front yard then nobody will give the pups a second thought.

What Great Villagers you will be that you have taken the time to get a real answer to this concern before putting your money down. I applaud you and hope things work out in your favor. We have a friend who owned four ankle-biter (Small) dogs. They are concerned but have lived in their home for 4 plus years with No Beef From Anybody.

Getting the answer from the person in charge is your real answer not stories about others like our friends and skating on the rules. Please let us know how you do with the answer, we wish you luck.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
We moved here with 3 dogs with the understanding when 1 crossed the bridge we had to stay at 2. Never had a problem....

What made it easy for us was they were the same breed and walked them 2 at a time.
Best idea I heard so far.... no one could tell the difference.... hehehe
Old 08-05-2019, 10:33 AM

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner: Nucky with: Just put a Little White Cross or some decorative Birds in your front yard then nobody will give the pups a second thought.

.. and thanks for not making this another poop thread ...

Personally, we have found the people here to be VERY ACCOMMODATING and VERY FRIENDLY. I believe you will have no issues with your 2.15 dogs. I wish you two the very best.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:40 AM
Sage

In terms of friendliness, and accommodation, I have noticed a real difference between some Villages. Just saying.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonenright View Post
Deed restrictions are two pets.

My husband and I really, really want to move to the Villages so I am trying to convince myself that it will not end badly.

The sales agent said it would be ok. Should we believe him?

Has anyone received an exception to the two pet deed restriction?
Several new Villagers has run into problems due to sales agents answers. THINK SALES COMMISSION.
WHy start a new expensive life creating problems for yourself?
Old 08-05-2019, 01:08 PM
Sage

Yes, just ask about sinkholes.... also about using other peoples’ lawns as a litter box for your pet is really frowned upon by some people. I always had a sandpit in my yard for the dogs. In some places up north the question: “Do I shoot you or the dog first?” is thought of as being considerate because they asked first.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonenright View Post
My husband and I are very impressed with the Villages and would like to become Villagers. The problem is that we have three dogs. One of the sales agents told us that you are allowed to move in with three as long as you downsize to two when one crosses the rainbow bridge. One of our dogs is near the end of his journey and won’t be with us much longer.

I would hate to buy a house, move in, then have to sell and move out because we were reported for not being in compliance with deed restrictions.

What are your experiences with this situation?

Maybe someone would like to “adopt” one of them with the understanding that we will dog sit them continuously and pay for all food, vet bills, and any other expenses? (“Adopt” in name only.)

Thank you.
I will take GrumpyOldMan's fluffy white dog! Then we'll each have two...

We were told (District 8) that we could move in with all our pets and then not replace till we got down to two. We had a dog, a sanctuary foster dog (very old dog that we fostered permanently), and a Cockatiel for awhile. We didn't walk the Cockatiel or let him poop on anyone's yard, so he kind of "flew" under the radar, so to speak.

Seriously, you will find many different answers to your question. It seems nobody knows for sure, and if you ask a higher up, they may be forced to tell you no. I think you are just supposed to move in and then get down to and remain at two or fewer pets. We went with what our sales agent said. He was a TV sales agent, not a MLS realtor. The sales agents are supposed to be up on those things.

If your dogs are quiet and you don't walk them on other people's lawns, I doubt anyone would say anything. Unlike Tal, I have not heard of anyone having to get rid of a pet because they moved in with more than two.

Plus it looks like the one in your photo is about 1/8th the size of our one.

Hope you decide to come to TV!
Old 08-05-2019, 05:39 PM

I doubt you'd have a problem at all but I get that you're nervous about it. Most Villagers wouldn't have any problem with your 3 dogs but you just never know who your neighbors will be and we do have a few grumps. If you can get it in writing from the realtor all the better. Like someone else said, if your dogs aren't yapping endlessly or pooping all over people's lawns then you should be fine. If you do by chance run into problems, I'll "adopt" one of your dogs and then "pay" you to dog sit for me. Best wishes!
Old 08-05-2019, 06:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
In terms of friendliness, and accommodation, I have noticed a real difference between some Villages. Just saying.
It does vary quite a bit from the people I have talked to over the past 14 years or so. And most of these were/are dog owners.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:17 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I too have heard of the three to two "rule" more than once. I don't know if it is an official exception, an unwritten rule, or an old wives tale. In a courtyard villa you have so much privacy and a fenced yard to allow the dogs to run and potty, I can't see their being a problem (unless they are loud and unruly). If I were in your situation I would not hesitate to make the move, but I understand your concern.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

I want to thank everyone for you helpful comments and compassion with our situation.

After careful consideration we have made our decision.We will be purchasing a CYV as soon as we pick one and if things don't work out, then at least the houses here turn fast and seem to hold their value.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:35 PM
Sage

Yeah!!!
Old 08-05-2019, 08:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Congratulations. I would bet the farm that you are gonna be fine.

Since I saw this thread this morning and now it's 9.15 PM Does That Make It Three Dog Night? Sorry. I love Dogs.
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs, move, “adopt”, only.😉, situation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.