TooJay’s

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2022, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Correct...

"You may not require proof that the animal has been certified, trained or licensed as a service animal. You may not require the animal to wear an identifying vest or tag. You may not ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the task or work."
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteph View Post
Yes, not surprising, today.

You can be anything you want to be by just identifying as such.

You could probably identify as a service dog and be allowed to sit at the feet of furry lover at a sushi bar.

I identify as a restaurant patron who prefers no animals around the preparation or consumption of food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
It is very much out of control. If you claim it is a service dog when in fact it is not you ought to be ashamed of yourself.
Which is why the law is absolutely ridiculous and needs to be rewritten. I would suggest that a business owner not only may, but be required to be shown proof that it is indeed a service animal. No "emotional support" animals. If you need rover to be with you at all times, you need to be in a psychiatrist's office, not a restaurant. When this came up about 15 years ago, I absolutely refused to give any patient a letter certifying they need an "emotional support" pet. I told them that if their separation anxiety rose to the level of needing to have their pet everywhere they go, they need to see a mental health professional and I'd be glad to make the referral. Not one ever took me up on it nor mentioned it again. I came to the conclusion that 90%+ of these requests were bogus. It was basically on par with requests for a handicapped sticker when the patient had no handicap that I was aware of. Nobody could give a legitimate reason, but I often heard "Dr. XYZ" just gives them out without asking. Great---go see him!
Old 08-29-2022, 11:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmrk32 View Post
As you can see, I very rarely post on this forum. And this is the reason why. No one can allow you your opinion without an argument and addition your words are always twisted. When I say people are fools, this is a beautiful example of it. People who have never spent one day in vet school try to argue with her and tell her how to practice her profession after 12 years of school. If that does not make you a fool then I don’t know what does. In addition, financially you have made your choices and I have made mine. She could’ve gone to medical school and made four times what she is making now. However due to her love of animals which you would like to negate she chose to be a veterinarian. I am now done with this conversation, so no need to reply. Just one parting thought… It is a documented fact that people who cannot get into vet school will then go to medical school but I will not judge because you certainly haven’t! Lol
I'd love to see that "documentation". I'd also dispute that doctors make 4x more than veterinarians---average doctor income---$224,000, average vet salary----$136,000, so 65% more, NOT 400% more. I wish I made 4x what my vet did. The funny part----every time I brought my dog to my vet, it was $200-$400 for the visit. When my vet came to see me, the charge was $90
Old 08-29-2022, 11:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Replace "vet school" with any type of "med school" and you have the same fools...

They show up with a ream of paper printed out from "Web MD" and proceed to tell you you're wrong...

That said, I'm glad she found her calling. Not sure if taking over a $1/2 million in student loans was the best financial planning, but good luck to her!
Ain't that the truth. But then again, I just took those papers in my right hand, transferred them to my left hand and threw them in the trash. My usual response to anyone who questioned that action was "The day I need to rely on your google search to do my job is the day you need to RUN, not WALK, away from me"
Old 08-29-2022, 11:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
If I could figure out how to start a new thread I would, however I can not. Speaking of Vets and MD's kind of fits in with my question. Are licensed M.D.'s required to take continuing education courses in their field to keep their medical license active?
Absolutetly! A minimum of 100 hours/ year in New York.
Old 08-29-2022, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,044 Times in 5,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I'd love to see that "documentation". I'd also dispute that doctors make 4x more than veterinarians---average doctor income---$224,000, average vet salary----$136,000, so 65% more, NOT 400% more. I wish I made 4x what my vet did. The funny part----every time I brought my dog to my vet, it was $200-$400 for the visit. When my vet came to see me, the charge was $90
Equal trade one office visit for one vet visit.
Old 08-29-2022, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Do all states have the same requirement?
Well, I'm licensed in MD, DC and FL, and they have those requirements.

Some of the specifics of the hours may be different from state to state (for example, FL has an opiate CME requirement due to the previous problems with "Pill Mills", and DC has an LBGTQ CME requirement), but as far as I know, pretty much every state has the 50 hr/every 2 years requirement...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-29-2022, 01:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yup...

When my youngest daughter was in HS, she was thinking about being a vet. She would always come with me or my wife to bring the dog for checkups and shots...

One time, as we were checking out, the receptionist told me that "today's charges are 200 and something $$$". I gave her a credit card and commented, "And THAT is why you should be a vet"...

The receptionist chuckled and nodded in agreement... People will automatically pay their veterinarian, but they'll argue all day long if their insurance benefits leave them with any co-pay or balance to their doctors...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-29-2022, 01:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yup...

When my youngest daughter was in HS, she was thinking about being a vet. She would always come with me or my wife to bring the dog for checkups and shots...

One time, as we were checking out, the receptionist told me that "today's charges are 200 and something $$$". I gave her a credit card and commented, "And THAT is why you should be a vet"...

The receptionist chuckled and nodded in agreement... People will automatically pay their veterinarian, but they'll argue all day long if their insurance benefits leave them with any co-pay or balance to their doctors...
Yep---another nail hit on the head.

I used to think it was somewhat low class for obstetricians to demand all their fee up front before the baby's delivery. But in reality, if they didn't, they would be below last on the list of people to get paid-----crib, stroller, play pen, diapers, food, bottle, cute little fuzzy animal and mobiles, VCR to record the baby, etc all come first.

I don't know about you, JM, but I never turned a patient away because they owed money. I doubt the same can be said about most vets.
Old 08-29-2022, 01:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yep---another nail hit on the head.

I used to think it was somewhat low class for obstetricians to demand all their fee up front before the baby's delivery. But in reality, if they didn't, they would be below last on the list of people to get paid-----crib, stroller, play pen, diapers, food, bottle, cute little fuzzy animal and mobiles, VCR to record the baby, etc all come first.

I don't know about you, JM, but I never turned a patient away because they owed money. I doubt the same can be said about most vets.
Never did... Wound up giving away $40-50K in free care every year...

I figured, with me being such an AH, I needed all the Karma I could get!

-Tom Petty
Old 08-29-2022, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
It is very much out of control. If you claim it is a service dog when in fact it is not you ought to be ashamed of yourself.
I believe in actuality they're considered 'emotional support dogs'

Two people that belong to the church I attend actually bring them into the church on Sunday

Sad...
Old 08-29-2022, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,044 Times in 5,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I believe in actuality they're considered 'emotional support dogs'

Two people that belong to the church I attend actually bring them into the church on Sunday

Sad...
Can not imagine to many untrained dogs are happy to be there with their owners.
Closed Thread

Tags
side, sniffing, apologize, coming, owners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.