Training Tips

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Veteran member
Default Training Tips

Doggie Training Tips, that is; can you train a cat? If so, we can share all pet training tips here.

"Jack" is a 1-1/2 year-old rambunctious Rat Terrier. He's really not my dog (belongs officially to my gentleman friend) but they both live close-by, on my property. Jack was an impossible puppy, much too hyper for my taste but now that he's a teenager in dog-years he has calmed down considerably, he has a delightful personality, but doesn't like to be petted much.

Any training tips for the terrier-breed would be welcome. Or please share any pet tips, for any pets .... cuz if you are reading this I guess you are a pet-lover ;D
Old 08-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Sage
Default Re: Training Tips

Coney,

Interacting with many terriers over the years leads me to believe that they train us!

They seem to have an incredible amount of energy that is hard to keep under control as Im sure you know! They also seem to have a mind of their own that usually cant be changed! But despite all this they are quite lovable and have an amazing amount of love and devotion to their familys.

I am by no means an animal behaviorist but IMHO I think we have to just appreciate them for what they are and hope and pray that maturity will take over eventually.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Sage

CIB:

I don't have any tips - noticed the dog in your pic and by coincidence was reading about Rat Terriers last night on Wikipedia. Got there using StumbleUpon.com which is a random site generator. Never heard of or seen Rat Terriers before last night and now they are all over the place!
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 08-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Platinum member

1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl You wanna train what? 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl You have 1rnfl no idea 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl what I've been going through with PIA Sadie Mae. Sorry CIB 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl I couldn't re 1rnfl 1rnfl sist.

Now where did the smart one go to now?

The Villages Florida
Old 08-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Veteran member

F161UB............. THANKS for sharing that very cute photo of that Sadie Mae.

Ummmmmmmm...... are you saying it's impossible to train a Rat Terrier :dontknow:

Shucks, we'll be satisfied if he only learned to "come" on command. A couple of times, when Jack was a puppy, he got loose and ran amuck. Luckily he got tired before getting into real trouble (I live out in the country).
Old 08-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Sage

F16, you need to read TNES. Sadie's actions will be explained to you. You really have no idea of her alter ego, do you?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Sage

Coney,

Guess what? A rat terrier that looks just like Jack came into our shelter today, Its a little girl named Deidra. How would you like a girlfriend for Jack? Ill meet you in TV with her!

What a great solution to the hyper problem, Deidra has more energy then a roadrunner on steroids! 1rnfl

Old 08-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Veteran member

Oh nonie..... I'm sure Jack would love to have a lady-friend, but he's quite innocent in those things :. We live out in the country and he doesn't even have any other doggie friends.

Anyway, it's not likely that Jack will be moving to TV (with me) if/when I do, cuz like I said, he ain't mine
Old 08-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Veteran member

Ok...... does anyone have any suggestions on this problem with Jack:

We live out in the country on a beautiful park-like property with many trees and the stuff that grows on trees, bark, fungus; grass, weeds; CRITTERS of all sorts...... deer, wild turkeys, racoons, feral cats, etc. etc. and all those critters poop!

As yucky as it is, Jack will eat something from out of the dirt that could be anything, when he plays in the fenced yard. Once, when he was a puppy, he must have eaten something really nasty cuz he had to be rushed to the vet/hospital and put on an IV for overnight.

Any TIPS on how to dissuade this behavior of eating gross stuff ?
Old 08-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Sage

Coney,

I will never understand why dogs insist on eating and rolling in the grossest imaginable stuff. They revel in it and the stinkier and grosser the better. Every dog I have ever owned has done this and I believe it has something to do with their wild dog days of long ago when they had to hunt for their food. They are just pleased as punch to smell like a dead body that has been dug up from 100 years ago. My 8 pd. poodle does it and so did my 90 pd German shephard. I honestly dont know if there is a cure for this instinctive act but Im sure a qualified vet might be able to help you out. Good luck and let me know so I can make my dogs stop too! ::

Old 08-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Nonie. You volunteer at a shelter. :bigthumbsup:I couldn't miss your incredible love and sensitivity to animals, particularly dogs in NeverEndingStory. Just another thing I love about you.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Sage

Awww, thanks so much gracie, but I know there are many, many animal lovers on TOTV who would do the same thing if they had the time or felt they could do it without bringing home every dog and cat in the shelter. i guess I have just toughened up to it because I have been at it so long.

I do have my moments tho.When an animal comes in severly abused or neglected it tears my heart out. :'(

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.