Transporting Cats

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Glad everyone made it. Once I found The Waffle House, McDs never had a chance. I think we stopped at at least 3 in every state east of the Mississippi.

So, when do we get to meet your MIL, the cat and you?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Sage

Read in this morning's paper that starting June 17th Southwest Airlines will allow cats and small dogs as carry on for a charge of $75 each way.

Also, will allow unaccompanied minors between 5 - 11 YO for a charge of $25 each way.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 05-30-2009, 01:23 PM

was there any mention of maximum size of a dog? That would be a blessing for those of us who have push nosed dogs i.e., pekes and cavaliers because they cannot fly in cargo. Mine are 17 lbs. each.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Sage

I have flown numerous times with my smaller dog in the cabin with me (I would never ship an animal). I recently travelled with WestJet in April . I bought a soft-sided carrying case for under $20 from Walmart. (As a side note, Air Canada discontinued allowing dogs in the cabin due to passengers' allergies.)

The requirement of most airlines, including West Jet, is that the dog be under 20 lbs and be able to fit under a seat. My dog is only 10 lbs but he has extremely long legs, so it would be impossible for him to fit under a seat if he were standing. So I sedate him, he sleeps quietly, and we're happy.

The check-in personnel never examine the case or even look over the counter. I could have an gorilla in the case for all they would care. The only strict rule that the airlines all seem to have is that the pet MUST stay in the case while on board, and you must keep the zippers closed.

My friend recently flew with her small dog in the cabin. She unzipped the dog's case so she could pat her dog, and it got out and ran through the cabin. I told her she will ruin it for the rest of us.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

First -my total agreement - NEVER ship your animals. USAir stopped taking pets in cargo -why? because when they merged with America West they took on hubs in Phoenix and Vegas, They heat outdoors could be over 100 degrees F - think of how hot it could get in the storage area and then hoe cold it can get at 30,000 feet.

We tranquilized our cats for the 15 hour ride from Conn to Myrtle Beach and then for the 10 hour ride from MB to TV. We also tranqed Claudie on her way home from ST. Maarten.

Our little dog is also way under the weight limit, but tall. We plan to take him to Maine this summer on a plane and will tranquilize him as well. He is great in the car, but he wants to see what is going on and will be unhappy in the carrier we purchased from JetBlue.

k
Old 01-29-2010, 10:26 PM
laurie91423
Default Noah's Feline Ark....

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I traveled from California to Florida with 3 cats. One cat was absolutely car-phobic. She would poop the second she was put in the carrier and by the time I would get her to the vet (5 minutes away, max), there would be nothing left in her innards (but the car smelled wonderful!!!). One cat did not like cars but could tolerate. The third one didn't care as long as she was in a lap being petted or could look out the window.
"
Thank you for your advice. We'll be moving from Los Angeles to TV (when our house sells) and the thought of moving with 4 cats terrifies me. There's one kitty we don't particulary like, but I wouldn't ever leave him in a shelter. He's just not friendly - (maybe he's bi-polar?)

We very much look forward to the sale of our house and working out how to secure our lanai from our clawed children. We are intrigued by the idea of a cat door to the garage, but don't understand how we could drive in without them running into the cul-du-sac. Fluffnick & Farfel aren't dummies. They are having us move to Florida for them, aren't they?

Laurie in Sherman Oaks
Old 01-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Sage

Cats LOVE lanais. They're protected from the outside world but can fantasize catching all those yummy birds and, when they're lucky, even torment the anole foolish enough to sneak into the lanai. Honestly, I'd let them visit in the lanai as much as possible rather than keeping them away from it. It really is a cat's favorite hangout.

As to the cat door to the garage, most cats will run back into the house the second the door starts to open -- garage doors are not quiet. I know of several people who have done it, both here and in California. I would never do it because garages really get hot during the summer and cat litter stinks! But, this is a personal choice.

Good luck on your sale. However you decide to travel with your kitties, I think you'll be surprised as to how tolerable it is after the first hour or so.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Sage

Leaving Norcal next Thursday, 2/4/10, for TV with our three cats. Driving a PU with a camper shell and pass thru windows. Will set up house for the cats in the camper shell but let them into the cab if they are good - which I expect they will be.

Thanks RW for the Waffle House info (how did you stop at three of them in Mississippi on I-10?).

We got the cats rabies shots and and 4 n 1 shots last week and have the vet's signed doc in the PU. Got the shots at a monthly clinic at the local SPCA and cost $78 total for all three! Anybody have problems with legal authorities due to transporting animals across state lines?

Hope that the cold and snow that closed I-40 today doesn't get further south and impact I-10!

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)

Last edited by chuckinca; 01-29-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Cats LOVE lanais. They're protected from the outside world but can fantasize catching all those yummy birds and, when they're lucky, even torment the anole foolish enough to sneak into the lanai. Honestly, I'd let them visit in the lanai as much as possible rather than keeping them away from it. It really is a cat's favorite hangout.

As to the cat door to the garage, most cats will run back into the house the second the door starts to open -- garage doors are not quiet. I know of several people who have done it, both here and in California. I would never do it because garages really get hot during the summer and cat litter stinks! But, this is a personal choice.

Good luck on your sale. However you decide to travel with your kitties, I think you'll be surprised as to how tolerable it is after the first hour or so.

RW: Use some silicon spray every month or so on the garage door tracks and rollers and it will cut down on the noise and make the door operate easier.

(all cats in TV need to be strictly indoor cats)

Last edited by chuckinca; 01-30-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:32 AM
Sage

Naw, I'll leave it noisy -- scares the cats into the house when one manages to sneak into the garage. But even a quiet door is scary for a cat -- guess they think the bogeyman is opening the door to get them or something. Gotta love that magic!

And, Chuck, some Gallo salame (stick, not sliced) would sure taste good. (What a strange think to miss, eh?) So would some sourdough bread but ......

Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Smile Long Trip for Kitties

My son and I drove from NY to Tuscan, AZ with 3 kitties (no tranquilizer). One was in a carry-on and the other two hid in two different corners of the car, like prize fighters, as far from each other as they could possibly get! We got a bubble for storage on the roof of the car. And we folded down the 2 back seats and set up the trunk with water, food and toys, like a mini rec center. After a few days, the cats interacted and I would find then huddled together. A few days later, Mickey would sit up in the back window sunning her pretty self. The only problem we had was having them adjust to staying in the motel rooms at night. In the morning they would all be hiding, but once in the car, they were fine and happy. I think cats adjust well to any new situation, if given the time. My son's cat Trinity has lived all over the world with him (and now with me) and she's an awesome kittie. Hope this helped. I just love talking about my cats.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:58 PM

We moved a year ago to the area. we brought our indoor 15 year old cat. We checked in a pet friendly hotel one day. She loved the car ride. She rode in our back seat in a kennel. after awhile she was let out to stare at the semis going by. I was surprised how well she did.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:48 AM
Veteran member
Default transporting cats

I totally agree with RedWitch. Traveled with our Siamese from NY to Miami. Gave her a trank the first day and she went into a "coma." The second day, no trank, she was so calm we decided to let her out of the carrier. Fine, until we stopped at a rest stop and all 4 of us got out of the car (being very careful of the cat of course). But when we returned to the car we couldn't find her. Lots of blame etc., we hunted and called, no cat. Eventually we found her wedged under the drivers seat where there is about 3 inches of headroom. Cats can be very tricky!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

There are only two types of cats in TV. Indoor cats and gator food.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:55 AM
Jeff Bieberfeld
Default similar tale (tail)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
We had a cat also who was indoor/outdoor and he made the trip in a pet carrier. He joined us in the motel room where he did his business after riding all day....no problem. Maybe a little whining but thats all.
$1200 WOW!
i brought our 6 year old cat, zao, down from philadelphia in december. she was in a pet carrier, and pretty much howled a lot for the first day. she ate a bit, drank and used her litter box when i stopped for an overnight in a hotel (i sneaked her into the room...she was an angel.)
the next day she slept for the rest of the ride and never made a sound.
i think that cats might get motion sickness and that is why they are usually so unhappy when they are in a car. once they stop eating it seems that all is ok.
and she loves it here in the villages.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.