Transporting my dog to TV

Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2019, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
BFDretired, if you go the gabapentin route for your pup, I advise trying it out on him first before you leave. Our guy was supposed to be on it for five days, and he got so woozy and wobbly after two days the vet said take him off of it immediately (we were on vacation where he swims, and he nearly fell over in the water, among other things). I've read that dogs react in a variety of ways to the medicine.
Oh absolutely. Again I don't know how it works with dogs. But my vet warned me I should try it a few times well in advance of the trip. I've done it once so far (half at night, half the next morning). Side effects are nausea and diarrhea and those are the last things I'd want to deal with for a multi-state drive in a luggage and furniture filled compact car!

She was woozy that day, which is how we were hoping it would be. The point is for her to be a little woozy *during the trip* but not after.

So I'll try it once more between now and the first of november (our scheduled final departure date).

And then - she won't get any at all, until the night before the first leg from Connecticut to Virginia. Three days' worth only, because that's how many days we'll be on the road.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Oh absolutely. Again I don't know how it works with dogs. But my vet warned me I should try it a few times well in advance of the trip. I've done it once so far (half at night, half the next morning). Side effects are nausea and diarrhea and those are the last things I'd want to deal with for a multi-state drive in a luggage and furniture filled compact car!

She was woozy that day, which is how we were hoping it would be. The point is for her to be a little woozy *during the trip* but not after.

So I'll try it once more between now and the first of november (our scheduled final departure date).

And then - she won't get any at all, until the night before the first leg from Connecticut to Virginia. Three days' worth only, because that's how many days we'll be on the road.
And it might be fine if the dog or cat is lying down in the back seat or in a crate as opposed to walking around.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:34 AM

We drove from Wisconsin with our giant breed dog and cat in the back of the car. They did just great. Many pet friendly hotels along the way. I was just not comfortable putting him on an airplane although if yours can fit in a pet carrier under your seat, you could fly with him. Good luck!
Old 10-22-2019, 01:43 PM

Thanks all for the tips. Will try small cage for under seat on plane only 21/2 hr flight but not sure he will tolerate it.
Thanks again
Old 10-22-2019, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdretired View Post
Thanks all for the tips. Will try small cage for under seat on plane only 21/2 hr flight but not sure he will tolerate it.
Thanks again
One caution, bfd: Make sure you check the in-cabin regulations of the airline you choose. Most have a weight limit of 17 lbs for under the seat in front of you, and that includes the weight of the crate. it's also required that the pet be able to turn around inside the crate. There are other regulations as well, vaccinations and microchips and such, including a wellness vet check within, but no longer than, ten days before the flight. Check with your vet. They are knowledgeable. You can also get on the airline's web site to check their rules.

When you make your airline reservations, you should do it by phone and make a reservation for your pet at the same time. You won't have to pay until you get to the gate, but you must have a rez as they only allow a limited number of pets onboard.

Another thing to take into consideration is the outside temperature if your pet is not flying in the cabin. Airlines have temp limits. Most are 85 or under, but not under 45.

Good luck, and do some research. I would start by calling airlines (not all will take pets nowadays) and getting their rules.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.