Transporting my dog to TV

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2019, 04:27 PM
Default Transporting my dog to TV

i bought a home i the historic district....other than driving my pup down to the villages....what is the best way to get him here....kind of afraid to fly him down 24 pound doxy
Old 09-27-2019, 11:54 AM
Gold member

You might be able to hire someone to drive your dog to Florida or even better if they could drive you and your dog. I would be concerned letting a stranger transport and handle my dachshund. Not everyone knows about dachshunds being prone to back issues and do not know how to properly pick up a dachshund or don't know that they shouldn't be jumping in and out of cars and going up and down steps. I beleive there are some companies that transport animals, but I have no experience with any of them.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:17 PM
Gold member

A trucker driver may do it, too. Where would you be transporting from? I know a truck driver who might be able to help if you are in his area.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Our Dog was going to be flown to Orlando until we found out that only one company was still open and available to do this for us. Just short of $1200 from Newark N.J. It was a major issue as he was so important to us. In the end, we put his bed in the back of a Ford Transit Connect Van and Barney did better on the trip than we did. He had no interest in eating during the day as we set up his regular setup like home in the shade and didn't rush him but all he wanted to do was get a drink of water do a little peeps and get back into the A/C. He ate like a Dog when we landed at The La Quinta which was recommended to us by other posters on TOTV'S.

I don't know if I helped you but I couldn't stand the thought of him not being under our watch for the trip. I kept promising him a Retired Poodle for when we got set up in The Villages. Someone on here will come up with a good suggestion I'm sure and welcome to The Villages. You picked a great place to live.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

When we moved here from NJ the dogs rode with me. We took it so slow and stayed 2 nights in La Quinta's. I would not trust any one to drive my dogs a long distance.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:26 PM

Is there a reason you aren't travelling with your pup when you move here?

Our puppies and kitties have always been with us when we moved.
They are happier to be with you and we are happy to know that they are safe with us.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
Is there a reason you aren't travelling with your pup when you move here?

Our puppies and kitties have always been with us when we moved.
They are happier to be with you and we are happy to know that they are safe with us.
Safety is my first priority when it comes to my dogs.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

We drive down a couple of times a year with our boarder collie. La Quintas and many Best Westerns are good pet friendly hotel options. We stay at a La Quinta in Winchester Va on day one and at a Best Western in Manning SC on day two. It's not a bad ride and there are several rest areas that are good for pet walking along the way. Every state has a welcome center rest area with an acceptable place to walk the dog. I would never trust someone else to take our dog for us.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We drove two cars down. Hubby brought the bird; I brought the dog. Halfway through, the a/c on the car the dog was in gave out. We switched cars to keep the dog in the a/c. We took three days from Michigan so the pets only had to put up with 5 hours/day driving. We stayed in La Quintas, Drury Inns, and one Holiday Inn Residence that took pets. Whenever possible, we chose a place that provided room service, or at least had menus to places you could call out for delivery to your room. Or one of us hopped across the parking lot and got takeout from various restaurants close by. Check it out on the motels' web sites, or call them. Both animals did great, although the Cockatiel had LOTS to say until we figured out he didn't like seeing out the window and put a cover over him.

We fly our dog twice a year, but we will only fly him Lufthansa, only nonstop, and never on a US airline. He's 11. The next dog will be an under-the-seat-in-front-of-you size.

Good luck on your trip. I think keeping your pup with you will be easy.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I don't have a dog anymore, but when I did have one we used to go on long trips in the car quite often. He loved it.

The only issue is making sure that any hotels/motels that you're going to stay in along the way accepts pets.

I'm sure that your pup would enjoy the drive along side you or in the back seat much more than being crated and stuck in the cargo hold of an airplane.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We drove two cars down. Hubby brought the bird; I brought the dog. Halfway through, the a/c on the car the dog was in gave out. We switched cars to keep the dog in the a/c. We took three days from Michigan so the pets only had to put up with 5 hours/day driving. We stayed in La Quintas, Drury Inns, and one Holiday Inn Residence that took pets. Whenever possible, we chose a place that provided room service, or at least had menus to places you could call out for delivery to your room. Or one of us hopped across the parking lot and got takeout from various restaurants close by. Check it out on the motels' web sites, or call them. Both animals did great, although the Cockatiel had LOTS to say until we figured out he didn't like seeing out the window and put a cover over him.

We fly our dog twice a year, but we will only fly him Lufthansa, only nonstop, and never on a US airline. He's 11. The next dog will be an under-the-seat-in-front-of-you size.

Good luck on your trip. I think keeping your pup with you will be easy.

I'm in agreement with you regarding what you do with and for your dog.
I think our pets deserve better than what we do for ourselves.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:14 AM
Gold member

If you want to go the route of having someone drive your dog down, I have someone who is a FB friend and owns several dachshunds and has adopted from one of the rescues here in Florida. He is in Pennsylvania and could do it on his days off.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:16 AM

thanks for getting back....this winter i will be driving down no problem....hopefully leaving a car here so i can fly down from mi....i hate the long drive But dont want to leve my pup behind....thats whu i was asking.....kind of scared of pet transport companies
Old 10-17-2019, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

We had the same question about our cat. She caterwauls in cars, and the 17-hour drive would be unbearable for me. So I got an anxiety med for the cat, and my sister will be with me for the drive. The cat will not be "sedated" but she'll basically not care that she's stuck in a carrier for 6 hours til we get to our first hotel (which is pet-friendly). I'll give her just a spoonful of food first thing in the morning (which she'll eliminate in the cat box 10 minutes later, that's how their digestive systems work), so she isn't hungry on the trip. She'll get a couple pieces of kibble when we stop for food/gas, not enough to make her have to use the litterbox, but enough to remind her that she's in good hands.

Repeat for the second leg of the trip to the second hotel, and again for the last leg to our Villages house.

I don't know if gabapentin works for dogs but you might ask your vet. It's a capsule, I will sprinkle half the powder of one over her food the night before, and the other half the next morning 2-3 hours before we get her in the carrier for the drive. She'll be good for around 7 hours.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

BFDretired, if you go the gabapentin route for your pup, I advise trying it out on him first before you leave. Our guy was supposed to be on it for five days, and he got so woozy and wobbly after two days the vet said take him off of it immediately (we were on vacation where he swims, and he nearly fell over in the water, among other things). I've read that dogs react in a variety of ways to the medicine.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.