Veterinarian Advice Please

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2021, 07:37 PM
Sage
Default Veterinarian Advice Please

I'm back from my little hiatus to ask for your input...

I'm not happy with my current veterinarian. I'd of course like to find a new one. I'd like the usual in a good vet, like effective pet health maintenance and problem correction. That's a given for any good vet. I'd appreciate your recommendations in general along those lines.

But I also would like to know if any vets have particular knowledge of dog breeds. Specifically of breeds that are prone to physical issues like muscle or joint problems. My current dog is rather aged and I will getting another best friend pretty soon. I would like for my next dog to be very physically fit and hardy. I will be training him or her to be a frisbee catcher.

I have a couple of breeds or possibly mixes in mind, so I would like to get some guidance regarding the their suitability for such an athletic endeavor.

Thanks. Your input is much appreciated.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

I'm not happy with my current veterinarian. I'd of course like to find a new one. I'd like the usual in a good vet, like effective pet health maintenance and problem correction. That's a given for any good vet. I'd appreciate your recommendations in general along those lines.

But I also would like to know if any vets have particular knowledge of dog breeds. Specifically of breeds that are prone to physical issues like muscle or joint problems. My current dog is rather aged and I will getting another best friend pretty soon. I would like for my next dog to be very physically fit and hardy. I will be training him or her to be a frisbee catcher.

I have a couple of breeds or possibly mixes in mind, so I would like to get some guidance regarding the their suitability for such an athletic endeavor.

If you want a great companion that is as smart as dogs come (and smarter than many humans), trainable to do just about anything, physically fit, and an incredible frisbee catcher, look into a Border Collie. They are also a perfect size in my opinion, not either real big or small. Just be prepared for a dog that needs both a lot of exercise and mental stimulation. Best of luck finding another best friend.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Don't know where you live or who your current vet is. There was a recent thread on veterinarians, and a couple of the top recommended vets happen to be in one office--Dr. Candace Manganaro and Dr. Valdez of Park Heights Animal Hospital. It's on 441 in Fruitland Park, almost across the street from Bill Bryan Dodge. It takes me 15-20 minutes to get there from Tamarind Grove Run/St. Charles Place area. Dr. Manganaro especially (she's our vet) does a lot of research to back up her "gut feelings," and she takes a lot of time to explain things to the pet's owners.

I can email the office with a question, and they will pass it on to her. She will either email me back or call me. She does not hesitate to refer the dog to a higher authority (such as UF Veterinary School, Blue Pearl, and the like) for further diagnosis. She's had the care of our 14-year-old Golden for 10 years, and he's had quite a few "mysterious" illnesses or injuries (frailest Golden we've ever had), plus we've taken three senior Golden fosters to her. I feel sure she could advise you on breeds and their characteristics.

Dr. Valdez has a practice in TV as well as at Park Heights. Kelly Vernon, formerly with Buffalo Ridge and now in two locations in Ocala, was our pup's physical therapist. She knows a ton about that area of all size dogs and would probably help you out if you messaged her or called her. Tell her Crosby's owner recommended you speak with her. I can try to find a contact for her if you're interested.

Good luck with your search.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:23 PM
Default We have two cats and

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Don't know where you live or who your current vet is. There was a recent thread on veterinarians, and a couple of the top recommended vets happen to be in one office--Dr. Candace Manganaro and Dr. Valdez of Park Heights Animal Hospital. It's on 441 in Fruitland Park, almost across the street from Bill Bryan Dodge. It takes me 15-20 minutes to get there from Tamarind Grove Run/St. Charles Place area. Dr. Manganaro especially (she's our vet) does a lot of research to back up her "gut feelings," and she takes a lot of time to explain things to the pet's owners.

I can email the office with a question, and they will pass it on to her. She will either email me back or call me. She does not hesitate to refer the dog to a higher authority (such as UF Veterinary School, Blue Pearl, and the like) for further diagnosis. She's had the care of our 14-year-old Golden for 10 years, and he's had quite a few "mysterious" illnesses or injuries (frailest Golden we've ever had), plus we've taken three senior Golden fosters to her. I feel sure she could advise you on breeds and their characteristics.

Dr. Valdez has a practice in TV as well as at Park Heights. Kelly Vernon, formerly with Buffalo Ridge and now in two locations in Ocala, was our pup's physical therapist. She knows a ton about that area of all size dogs and would probably help you out if you messaged her or called her. Tell her Crosby's owner recommended you speak with her. I can try to find a contact for her if you're interested.

Good luck with your search.
Dr Valdez is our veterinarian at Park Heights in Fruitland Park. He is excellent and very caring. I highly recommend him and their office. The phone number is 352-326-9116.
Old 11-09-2021, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,661 Times in 1,529 Posts

Quote:

Not experienced enough yet to recommend a vet, however in my experience I would not patronize Country Oaks Veterinary Clinic. We had a price quoted for a procedure on a pet that was $600 to $900 total including bloodwork (which we had on the day of the exam and paid something like $200 on the spot), only to be told on the day of service that the procedure could coast as much as $1,300.00 which did NOT include the bloodwork. Needless to say, we left.
Old 11-10-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Faithful Companions by Spanish Springs... wonderful and very caring. Been going to them for years. Vet even came in on his off day, to help my boy Charlie and he is now up and running... very appreciative
Closed Thread

Tags
breeds, dog, veterinarian, good, vet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.