Visiting my parents and bringing my dog!!

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Default Visiting my parents and bringing my dog!!

Hello Talk of the Villages!!! My first post here....

I am visiting my parents next week from NY. My parents moved to the Villages over 2 years ago. They are so happy there and I am so happy for them. I've decided to press my luck and bring my newly adopted rescue dog. She is a hairless Chinese Crested. She is just about the cutest and sweetest thing you will ever see. Although she is a little shy and sometimes skittish. She definitely suffers from separation anxiety, so I was hoping to bring her along for our daily excursions. I was wondering if I was "allowed" to bring her to any of the Villages pool? Obviously, she wouldn't go in, but can she hang out with us? I highly doubt this... as I am aware of all the rules at the pools... but my Mom did not know for sure. Thought you all could fill me in. My fingers and Phyllis' (my dog) paws are crossed for some poolside sunshine.

Anything I need to know as a guest and bringing a dog? I am flying Southwest and shockingly DON'T need proof of vaccinations. However, she is up-to-date. Any reason I would need them visiting the Villages?

Thanks for any info,

Jill

Last edited by JillyBeans; 04-21-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Have not seen any dogs at any of the pools. Can't say I look forward to seeing any either.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

No dogs at pools..........Without a Village ID card...and you need one too...........I'm sure your parents will be thrilled........
Old 04-21-2011, 06:52 PM

Ok... so I am pretty sure you are not telling me that my dog could go to the pool IF she had an ID card... but are you telling me that dogs need visitor ID cards? I knew about me, but one for my dog... well that would just crack me up....
Old 04-21-2011, 07:07 PM

If she's a person as my dog thinks he is, than she needs an ID card.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

If no ID, how else can we keep track of the comings and goings of alien dogs?
Ve Vill be watching!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:26 PM

Seriously? I honestly can't tell if you are all joking... you guys are cracking me up!

Ok... if she does require an ID card (Please be honest because I'd hate to have my mom look like an idiot asking for a dog ID card and then get laughed at!!... for my mom's sake... tell me the truth!!!)... what kind of documentation do I need for a dog's ID card?

I am very gullible... but even I am finding this suspicious...
Old 04-21-2011, 07:28 PM

Seriously? I honestly can't tell if you are all joking... you guys are cracking me up!

Ok... if she does require an ID card (Please be honest because I'd hate to have my mom look like an idiot asking for a dog ID card and then get laughed at!!... for my mom's sake... tell me the truth!!!)... what kind of documentation do I need for a dog's ID card?

I am very gullible... but even I am finding this suspicious...
Old 04-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Dogs are not allowed into pool areas according to the following recreation guide:

http://www.districtgov.org/images/RecGuide.pdf
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Really not a good idea to take a dog to the pool!!!! Am sure it's not allowed.

Other than it being a huge infringements on the sunbathers, I strongly believe that keeping that poor pup outside by the pool would be most cruel and unhealthy for this pup as the extreme heat would be dangerous for her.

Leave the lil darlin home where it's cool and she can play with her toys while you are missing her while she's probably napping.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 PM

barb1191,
I understand where you are coming from but my dog loves the heat. I swear!! She is hairless and as long as she is protected from the sun, she is fine. I even have summer time clothes for her to protect her from a sunburn. But, I would have kept her in the shade and obviously leashed her. She wouldn't have bothered a soul. She comes with me to the beach during the summer months here all the time. She has even gone on a few boat rides. She is literally my shadow, and I fear she will freak out being left alone in a foreign land (my parents house). But rules are rules... and I respect that. But I sensed a little judgement in your response and felt the need to clarify. I would NEVER do anything cruel or unhealthy to my dog!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyBeans View Post
barb1191,
I understand where you are coming from but my dog loves the heat. I swear!! She is hairless and as long as she is protected from the sun, she is fine. I even have summer time clothes for her to protect her from a sunburn. But, I would have kept her in the shade and obviously leashed her. She wouldn't have bothered a soul. She comes with me to the beach during the summer months here all the time. She has even gone on a few boat rides. She is literally my shadow, and I fear she will freak out being left alone in a foreign land (my parents house). But rules are rules... and I respect that. But I sensed a little judgement in your response and felt the need to clarify. I would NEVER do anything cruel or unhealthy to my dog!!!
I apologize for the misunderstanding in my response as I was not aware that I was imposing bad judgement upon your part. While responding, I simply just thought of the pup in this extreme heat. You of course know your beloved pup best and bad me.....hugs, barb1191

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 04-21-2011, 08:20 PM

OK... seriously... does my dog REALLY need a visitor ID? I am known to be extremely gullible... but I need to clarify this for sure. I do NOT want to insist to my mom that she needs to get her one, only for her to get laughed at when she asks for it. For my mothers sake... tell me the truth!!

I posted this already, but must have gotten lost in cyberspace (sorry if it is a repeat though)
Old 04-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Hi JillyBeans,

Sorry, no dogs allowed at the pools. No exceptions. You cannot get a guest ID for a dog.

Understanding your worry, though, about leaving your little girl by herself in a strange place, let me recommend something that I've recently found that will probably help her stay calm. It is called "Thundershirt" and it is made out of a stretchy material. It is adjustable and comes in teeny sizes, too. I have a little 5 lb poodle that is very skittish (she was rescued as a breeding dog) and this shirt works wonders for her.

The Thundershirt feels like a hug, which is very calming and soothing. It doesn't work on all dogs (DuffysMom says it doesn't work on her little dog), but it might be worth a try for you since your little girl is probably nervous when you leave her no matter where you are or what the situation.

Here is their website. Take a look: http://www.thundershirt.com/

Watch the videos on their site. I ordered the little pink one for my poodle and I use it when we go for golfcart rides, when the vacuum cleaner is on, and when there are workers in our yard. She usually goes crazy for these things, but with the shirt on, she settles down and calmly watches or just takes a nap.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You do realize of course thats its 90+ degrees down here right now........Most dogs wear 50+ sunscreen....Only thing I've seen moving is a camel my neighbor has , unless of course he is a camel , Its hard to tell...........

have a date and enjoy..........

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.