Walking dogs!

Closed Thread
Old 05-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Default Walking dogs!

Please remember as we get into summer, and the streets heat up, not to walk your dog on the blacktop. Many don't think of this, but you need only take off your shoe and feel the street to know if it's safe. Dogs with short hair can sunburn, and teach all dogs how to get out of your swimming pool. Make it a pet safe summer! :bigthumbsup:
Old 05-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Sage
Default Re: Walking dogs!

Now that's a great post MnGirl! See there are some things we can agree on! LOL My husband is a Veterinarian and I worked at his clinic for 10 years. We always cautioned people followed up with flyers and brouchers and reminders. Being from Illinois, we did run into many problems in the winter also. There's one law I particularly love about Florida and that is that it is illegal to leave your dog in a car. That was not the case in Illinois. This should be a illegal in all states. :bigthumbsup:
Old 05-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Sage

mngirl & Chels,

Ya know Im with ya on this one. 100%. :bigthumbsup:

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Taltarzac

Good topin MnGirl.

Here is an informative link in this area of summer and pets-- http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/su...and_your_pets/
Old 05-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Platinum member

Gee - not even officially in TV yet and I've now racked up $4200 worth of options on the golf cart. Enclosure with AC and footies for the furry ones. Huh, so that's why they always walk in the grass. Why didn't I think of that. Never have that concern in KY though - gravel roads and all. ;D

Great suggestion mngirl

F16
Old 05-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24
There's one law I particularly love about Florida and that is that it is illegal to leave your dog in a car. That was not the case in Illinois. This should be a illegal in all states.
Its illegal in CA, not sure about northern CA but definitely SoCal.... and it should be illegal in all states in the summer months.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 05-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Sage

Kath, And it should be illegal in the winter months too, Midwest and East. We had dogs freeze to death while their owners went shopping! :verymad:
Old 05-07-2008, 12:40 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Illegal in NoCal, too -- at least if temperature is over 75 degrees.

I'm one of those people who is barefoot at almost any possible opportunity. I would actually test the blacktop before letting my dogs walk on it -- even just to the car. My feet are pretty calloused, so my guide was if it was medium warm on my feet, I'd carry the dogs to the car. Mind you, at the time I weighed maybe 120 lbs and the dogs were between 50-65 lbs and I usually had at least two with me at any time. It was even worse when I took Sleeper, my Old English, out with me.

For those that use an outdoor licker for their dogs to get fresh, cold water, be sure it has a cover at all times. While the water is cold, the metal can get hot enough to burn the tongue if the sun shines on it directly.

If you're going to be gone all day and your dog will be staying outside on a patio or backyard, either train them to use a licker or freeze some water in ice jugs (the bigger the better) and place it so that the meltdown will go into a large bowl. It won't be cold and fresh all day, but much longer than just a regular bowl of water.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Gold member

Thanks for the tip re: walking dogs.
I am from New England and our summers there can get pretty hot in small bursts of time. I never took the dog in the car during those times, and never when it was really cold, I knew the dangers there. To be honest I never even thought of the blacktop and sensitive paws. It makes all kinds of sense to keep those paws off the balcktop when the pavement is baking in the sun for months here in Florida. Bosun and I will stay on the grass through the hot season. wav
Old 06-09-2008, 04:16 PM

Thanks for that info... something we don't think about!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.