Are we allowed?

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2018, 09:54 AM
Default Are we allowed?

If we can't put up fences and they are limiting the amount of grass area we can have enclosed in a birdcage, are we allowed to put a doggy door in our lanai with a 10x10 dog kennel pushed up to the doggy door so the dogs have a potty area? It is not permanent and can be moved to cut the grass and clean up. I emailed ARC about how much grass area can be in a birdcage but got no response.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinganimals View Post
If we can't put up fences and they are limiting the amount of grass area we can have enclosed in a birdcage, are we allowed to put a doggy door in our lanai with a 10x10 dog kennel pushed up to the doggy door so the dogs have a potty area? It is not permanent and can be moved to cut the grass and clean up. I emailed ARC about how much grass area can be in a birdcage but got no response.
I have never seen a limitation on grassed area inside lanai. My suggestion, fill out ARC application for birdcage, and indicate grass area, they will approve or deny, and you will need this for birdcage anyway. Other option, call ARC and ask the question, or stop by the office (Lake Sumter landing, the archway near Starbucks) upstairs and ask in person.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have never seen a limitation on grassed area inside lanai. My suggestion, fill out ARC application for birdcage, and indicate grass area, they will approve or deny, and you will need this for birdcage anyway. Other option, call ARC and ask the question, or stop by the office (Lake Sumter landing, the archway near Starbucks) upstairs and ask in person.
Hope this helps.
Thank you. Unfortunately we are shopping for a house so we can't submit an application. We are looking at houses but don't want to decide on one if we can't have an area for the dogs. Next time I am in the area I will see if I can stop by and ask. Thanks for your input
Old 01-21-2018, 10:29 AM

Buy a house that already has a fenced back yard, there are a few areas that have that already.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 01-21-2018, 10:43 AM
Sage

LovingAnimals, here is the ARC phone number, give them a call, tell them you are looking for a home, and see if in general information about what you want to do, I am sure they will be willing to help.

984 Old Mill Run
The Villages, FL 32162

Community Standards
Phone: 352-751-3912
Fax: 352-751-6707
Hope this helps.
PS here is an early Welcome to The Villages.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:57 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts

Lots of homes in Fenney with fenced in yards, villas too.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Two or three times a year Villagers have had their dog killed by a coyote in TV. Is your dog large, if not, you're talking a risk allowing them to run free even if you're just a few feet away. One of the fellows I play golf with lives in Tall Trees, that smack dab in the middle near heavy commercial businesses and traffic and yet their neighbor's dog was killed last summer in the front yard by a coyote while they were standing in the yard nearby. Here's a thread discussing the matter so you'll believe what I'm saying.

Another pet killed by a coyote...

Here's the channel 9 news story:

Coyote snatches woman’s dog in The Villages | WFTV
Old 01-21-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
LovingAnimals, here is the ARC phone number, give them a call, tell them you are looking for a home, and see if in general information about what you want to do, I am sure they will be willing to help.

984 Old Mill Run
The Villages, FL 32162

Community Standards
Phone: 352-751-3912
Fax: 352-751-6707
Hope this helps.
PS here is an early Welcome to The Villages.
Thank you!!! We already own a home in The Villages that we rent out so we don't have 10% to put down and buy new. That is why we are not looking in Fenney with the fences and we only saw 1 preowned in Pine Ridge.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Two or three times a year Villagers have had their dog killed by a coyote in TV. Is your dog large, if not, you're talking a risk allowing them to run free even if you're just a few feet away. One of the fellows I play golf with lives in Tall Trees, that smack dab in the middle near heavy commercial businesses and traffic and yet their neighbor's dog was killed last summer in the front yard by a coyote while they were standing in the yard nearby. Here's a thread discussing the matter so you'll believe what I'm saying.

Another pet killed by a coyote...

Here's the channel 9 news story:

Coyote snatches woman’s dog in The Villages | WFTV
Yes, that is why a birdcage or kennel (with top) attached to lanai is my choice. We previously had a CYV but want a larger garage and I saw the pictures of coyotes on top of CYV walls so I would like something with a top
Old 01-21-2018, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Yes, that is why a birdcage or kennel (with top) attached to lanai is my choice. We previously had a CYV but want a larger garage and I saw the pictures of coyotes on top of CYV walls so I would like something with a top
OK, that great that you're already aware of the coyotes. There have been reports of coyotes tearing through lanai screens to kill cats that are left to roam. It's almost impossible to be too safe in Florida.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Definitely stop in Community Standards office and have a conversation with someone. They can and will be very helpful to you.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:36 PM
Sage

Regarding the birdcage option, if you go that route, look into PET screening, it is much heavier than normal screen, to the point that cats can climb it and not damage the screening. We have this installed on the lower panels on our bird cage, primarily to keep the outside animals out. It is a little more expensive than regular screening, blocks a little more light, and is much harder to install, I know from personal experience.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:16 PM

In case anyone needs to know for future reference, Community Standards office said there can not be any grass area inside a lanai and you can not have any kennels or anything outside the lanai. So basically this means there is no way to protect your animals except to take them out yourself...and even then we know what can happen. Too bad because I thought the idea of putting in a doggy door that leads to another birdcage with grass would be a great solution. The cats could enjoy that too. Thank you to everyone who replied.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:52 AM
Gold member

Quote:
In case anyone needs to know for future reference, Community Standards office said there can not be any grass area inside a lanai and you can not have any kennels or anything outside the lanai. So basically this means there is no way to protect your animals except to take them out yourself...and even then we know what can happen. Too bad because I thought the idea of putting in a doggy door that leads to another birdcage with grass would be a great solution. The cats could enjoy that too. Thank you to everyone who replied.
What you wrote above says they told you "there cannot be any grass area inside a lanai". Did you ask them about grass inside a lanai OR birdcage? I have heard others talk about having grass inside their birdcages. Not sure what section of The Villages. If you asked them about on your "lanai", that is probably why they said no.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeo View Post
What you wrote above says they told you "there cannot be any grass area inside a lanai". Did you ask them about grass inside a lanai OR birdcage? I have heard others talk about having grass inside their birdcages. Not sure what section of The Villages. If you asked them about on your "lanai", that is probably why they said no.
I believe I said birdcage, but I will call back to clarify and make sure. Thanks-will post what they say
Closed Thread

Tags
grass, area, doggy, birdcage, door

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.