Westie Food

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2019, 10:54 AM
Veteran member
Default Westie Food

We have an 8 month old Westie and cannot figure out what is the best food for her.

Some say grain-free, others say she needs grain.

Some say no byproducts, others say she needs byproducts.

If you have a Westie do you have a suggestion?

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,737 Posts

Many Westies seem to thrive on high protein and fat low carbs, average under 1 year old dog needs about 400 cal per day. Mine loved medium cheddar cheese which I dolled out in minute quantities.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:22 PM
Gold member

Dog food is one of the hot topics in FB groups I'm in. We always want the best for our furbabies. You may have seen the news about grain-free dog foods that contain certain ingredients that may be linked to heart disease. I would not put a dog on grain-free unless there was a medical reason to do so. You also want to be aware that all dogs foods do not have the same calorie count. If your dog is not very active, they are going to need less calories than a dog that is doing agility training every day or something like that, for example. Here are some brands that vets recommend: Purina, Hills and Royal Canin.

Here is link with some questions and answers about grain-free: Grain-Free Dog Food Q & A's | CVCA Cardiac Care for Pets

Here is a link from the FDA with questions and answers: Questions & Answers: FDA Center for Veterinary Medicine’s Investigation into a Possible Connection Between Diet and Canine Heart Disease | FDA
Old 08-01-2019, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,737 Posts

The Westies came originally from the Scottish highlands. If you know anyone from there they are among the hardiest people on earth. Beautiful but challenging country side. These dogs are pretty hardy themselves. They love to be pampered, of course.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:19 PM

There are so many new pet foods on the market today and it seems like a new food comes out every day.
I do not believe that Westies need a specific special food, but like all dogs, just need a good food.

At a personal level, I am not a believer in the newer grain-free trend.
The same holds true for what I call all these "designer" dog foods that cost an arm and a leg.
I just don't believe they are necessary or worth it.
For many years we have fed Purina One with a little bit of wet food and water mixed in to just slightly wet the "crunchies."
Our dogs -- large and small -- have thrived and have been healthy.
Closed Thread

Tags
westie, byproducts, food, grain-free, suggestion

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.