What do you like for your pets??

Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Sage
Default What do you like for your pets??

How many of you get special accessories for your pets like special collars, special tags, bandanas, bows for their hair? How about special food treats? How far would you go to make your pet look special and feel special? There are so many dogs in The Villages I just wondered how many of you do really special things for them.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Personally, I really doubt the dog feels better or special being dressed up or cares if the collar is blinged out or not. I'm sure it makes some people feel better about their dog. Course, I will admit that my Afghans would go nuts when I put a snood, t-shirt and socks on them. Probably because it meant they were getting some butcher bones to slurp on. Otherwise, I prefer my dogs au natural.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-18-2013, 06:58 AM
Platinum member

I think the thing my pets love best is when I make a special effort to notice their actions and moods, and encourage them, praise them, or pay extra attention.

I also save one special type of treat that they recognize the name of, and I surprise and excite them with it. (They are cats - it's just a pinch of natural dried salmon flakes). But they come running every time!

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 10-18-2013, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Are you wondering why as well as what, Happinow?

Not sure exactly, but suspect that people enjoy finding things for their pets to enjoy just the way people enjoyed finding things for their children to have fun with. They are small warm creatures who we have taken responsibility for, a kind of replacement for children who have left our home, maybe not. But it seems like a good thing. They bring company to us and affection.

I would say that people buy things for their pets in the same way they buy things in general. Some are just a complete waste of money and other things, like the baskets our cats sleep in seem to be something they like.

I have seen strollers used for older and infirm dogs and people have built platforms on their golf carts for dogs too. Lots of bandana's and some costumes. The dogs never look real happy to me in costumes, but who knows?

I have heard of huge, HUGE vet bills for animals and wonder how and why did they escalate so much. The answer is that people are willing to pay those fees to have their pet's life prolonged.

I still think that most vet's charge too much.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:20 AM
Sage

liver is the utmost gift for a dog. look what I brought you, Sweetface...
Old 10-18-2013, 07:26 AM
Sage

Who knew? I thought a great treat was some sort of antler bone. That's what my daughter buys her dog. He just loves it.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Sage

antlers..haven't tried that. when I'm going to be gone a while, I give Emma a rawhide chew, which she doesn't eat while I'm gone. When I come home she picks up the rawhide and we have a game of chase, then she eats it. She makes up the games and I play by her rules.
I tried giving her a pig ear before I left the house and....
she ate it before I got back. Pig ears must be yummy.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Antlers are great treats. My sheep dog was in doggie heaven when he got one. It was one of the few things that I'd have to use a sharp voice to get him to drop it. If he had his way, it would be in his mouth wherever he went. He once even tried to drink water with the silly antler piece in his mouth. Boy, was that a big splashy mess!!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Antlers are great treats. My sheep dog was in doggie heaven when he got one. It was one of the few things that I'd have to use a sharp voice to get him to drop it. If he had his way, it would be in his mouth wherever he went. He once even tried to drink water with the silly antler piece in his mouth. Boy, was that a big splashy mess!!
Now I am worried about both Dasher and Vixen. Some things I didn't need to know.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.