Birdfeeders

Closed Thread
Old 01-28-2015, 10:44 AM
Veteran member
Default Birdfeeders

This isn't about pets exactly, but I'm not sure what other forum to post it into. My wife and I are strongly considering moving to TV when we retire in a couple of years. Our current house backs up onto woods and we have several active birdfeeders. We realize that we might not be able to get a house that backs up to nature in TV. Our questions are:

Are birdfeeders allowed in TV?
If they are allowed, how successful are people at attracting birds with feeders?
What kinds of birds do you get?

Thanks to any and all for your helpful replies and hope to be a neighbor soon!
Old 01-28-2015, 12:44 PM
Platinum member

I have a courtyard villa and have feeders. I get a lot of cardinals, mourning doves, small birds, and every now and then a bluejay
Old 01-28-2015, 01:41 PM
Sage

You will be quite successful at attracting birds to your feeder; however, you will also attract many a naysayer on this site that will tell you all the woes of said bird feeder i.e
rats, rodents, hungry bears etc. etc. etc. There were several feeders on the street I lived and never a problem except for the hawk that liked to eat the birds!
Old 01-28-2015, 02:53 PM
Sage

Welcome. Lot's of birds to attract to your feeders. You'll love the wildlife here.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
...you will also attract many a naysayer on this site...
No!! Not on this site??!!?? [emoji39]
Old 01-28-2015, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

We back onto a golf course which makes it easy for us to have a feeder. The birds we get are Blue Jays, Blue Birds, Cardinals, numerous small colorful finches, Red Wings, Doves and that is just in the winter! In the summer the variety of birds changes, the small ones go back up north and the bigger black birds move it .................... We also have a couple of hawks which swoop through from time to time looking for their supper - usually a Dove, but one time they also got a Mocking Bird!

We have found that the seed does attract rodents, so now we keep the area clean, rake up the seed every day, never put seed out after about 3pm, and take the feeders in at night.

The variety of birds in Florida is amazing, everything from the tiny finches to the giant Sand Hill Cranes.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-28-2015, 07:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

I had lots of birds in okieland including 60 plus purple Martin colony.

As for the feeders I only put out enough bird seed for the day. I found that kept the unwanted away cause there was nothing left in the feeders at night.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.