outlet not working.

Closed Thread
Old 10-04-2015, 05:59 AM
Default outlet not working.

I was using an electric hedge trimmer when the extension cord got caught in trimmer. I heard a POP near outlet I was using in garage (which is near breaker box). I have No power at outlet and I did not hear a breaker go off nor were any OFF. The POP I heard sounded like it came from outlet. There is another outlet used for sprinklers on same wall of garage and that outlet is fine. I have a ground fault on other side of garage and that was fine. I checked all the ground faults I could find...no problem. I double checked the breakers and all are fine. I was going to replace the outlet but Lowes guy told me it was ground fault....and to look for ground fault. II should have bought a new outlet. have located 7 ground faults through house and garage and no problem I even tried hooking an extra outlet that I had lying around but no luck. I assumed the one I tried in exchange was a good extra outlet???
I might have to buy a new outlet but i cannot figure this out.
If anyone is good at this, i am in Chatham across from Lopez
Help?
Old 10-04-2015, 06:33 AM

A POP is the sound a short makes, so based on your description, I would first see if you "burned off" the short behind the outlet. Sometimes a loose wire or movement caused by whatever is plugged in will cause this. Theoretically, the breaker should trip, but sometimes they don't. You should be able to tell because when you pull the outlet you will see black burn at the short point. Also, GFIs are sometimes chained, where the GFI outlet is protecting multiple other outlets.

Disclaimer - if you don't know about electrical, you might want to enlist someone who does.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:45 AM
Sage

try flipping the each breaker, off/on sometimes they look right but have tripped.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Gold member

Pull the plug loose from the box, careful to not touch the wires, then check the wires with a 110 volt tester to see if you have power going to the plug. If not, it is either the breaker or a GFCI
Old 10-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I agree with all of the above, and one more item. The electricians tend to use the PUSH IN wiring connections on the receptacles and switches. I hate these connections, and have had them fail in the past. I would look at ALL of the receptacles in the string, between the breaker box and the point where the device was plugged in. It is possible that the connection failed where the wire plugs in at the back of the receptacle.

TURN OF THE POWER BEFORE DOING THIS.
As stated above, if you are not familiar with electricity and house wiring, hire a professional.

Hope this helps.

Tags
outlet, ground, garage, fine, fault, extra, good, faults, problem, checked, pop, heard, trimmer, breaker, extension, hooking, electric, lopez, house, bought, cord, located, lying, buy, figure

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.