Whirlpool Authorized Repair: Fields Factory Service

Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Default Whirlpool Authorized Repair: Fields Factory Service

Our Whirlpool stove, (2012) began beeping an error message. Pushing the "cancel" button made it stop, but the error code was easily found online: Control Panel may have a short. Directions were to check that everything was connected, no loose wires in the control panel, or replace it. We dutifully called The Villages Whirlpool number, were told that the only authorized repair folks were Fields, and called them for an appointment.

When the Fields repairman came, he barely looked at the stove. He announced that yes, the error code indicated there may be a short in the control panel. He did not pull the stove out, take off the back and check for a loose wire, nothing. Well, obviously we already knew what the error code meant.

NOW it gets interesting. He went back to the truck to work up an estimate. I saw him flipping page after page of something. It took him almost half an hour. He came in and gave me an estimate of almost $600 to replace the control panel, which he had not physically touched. I basically threw him out, knowing that I could easily replace the entire stove for less! (I checked the Lowe's price while he was working up his estimate, that model stove was selling that day for $540.)

I was stuck paying Fields $89 for the call, and maybe it was worth it because it was a valuable lesson learned. He said I might get a call directly from Whirlpool offering me a good deal on a new stove. 2 hours later Whirlpool called me, offering me a new stove, that same model for exactly the same price as Lowe's. I actually had the thought that they were reselling perfectly good stoves confiscated from people like me, who actually said yes to this ridiculous estimate.

This can't be legal, can it? Both Whirlpool and Fields Factory Service need to be investigated, and I plan to write to the Florida Attorney General. If that doesn't work, I will just go upward, to the Feds. With all the senior citizens in The Villages, how many would actually fall for this outright scam? It is very disturbing, to say the least. Since the stove is functioning well, we have ignored the beeping error code, which has magically stopped.

In short, I believe nobody should contact Whirlpool's authorized factory service company, Fields. And it goes without saying you should not buy any of Whirlpool's products.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany View Post
Our Whirlpool stove, (2012) began beeping an error message. Pushing the "cancel" button made it stop, but the error code was easily found online: Control Panel may have a short. Directions were to check that everything was connected, no loose wires in the control panel, or replace it. We dutifully called The Villages Whirlpool number, were told that the only authorized repair folks were Fields, and called them for an appointment.

When the Fields repairman came, he barely looked at the stove. He announced that yes, the error code indicated there may be a short in the control panel. He did not pull the stove out, take off the back and check for a loose wire, nothing. Well, obviously we already knew what the error code meant.

NOW it gets interesting. He went back to the truck to work up an estimate. I saw him flipping page after page of something. It took him almost half an hour. He came in and gave me an estimate of almost $600 to replace the control panel, which he had not physically touched. I basically threw him out, knowing that I could easily replace the entire stove for less! (I checked the Lowe's price while he was working up his estimate, that model stove was selling that day for $540.)

I was stuck paying Fields $89 for the call, and maybe it was worth it because it was a valuable lesson learned. He said I might get a call directly from Whirlpool offering me a good deal on a new stove. 2 hours later Whirlpool called me, offering me a new stove, that same model for exactly the same price as Lowe's. I actually had the thought that they were reselling perfectly good stoves confiscated from people like me, who actually said yes to this ridiculous estimate.

This can't be legal, can it? Both Whirlpool and Fields Factory Service need to be investigated, and I plan to write to the Florida Attorney General. If that doesn't work, I will just go upward, to the Feds. With all the senior citizens in The Villages, how many would actually fall for this outright scam? It is very disturbing, to say the least. Since the stove is functioning well, we have ignored the beeping error code, which has magically stopped.

In short, I believe nobody should contact Whirlpool's authorized factory service company, Fields. And it goes without saying you should not buy any of Whirlpool's products.

The appliance repair business is riddled with unethical businesses. Not surprised about your experience. I have spoke to people it that business. You were lucky to get away with less then a hundred dollar repair. They target everyone, not just seniors.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany View Post

If you give us Fields number, some of us will call and back you up. THAT is so wrong. Six hundred dollars???? That is robbing folks without a gun.

Be SURE to call Warranty, even if you are out of warranty and tell THEM. They have power with all suppliers.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:34 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

I have stopped using Fields, as my refrigerator had 8 service calls on it in the first year and a half. I figured, if they couldn't get it right after 8 calls ... oh well! Also, one of their tech's which came several times was so rude. Whirlpool finally called me and ask if I wanted a new refrigerator. No brainer there. I now use either Rick Beck from Beck's Appliances (352) 245-3598 or Nichols Appliance (352) 568-0300. Both seem very knowledgeable, professional and pleasant and charge a fair price. Good luck in the future.
Closed Thread

Tags
stove, fields, whirlpool, error, estimate, code, control, panel, service, short, called, replace, authorized, factory, whirlpools, back, work, page, lowes, price, model, offering, call, good, easily

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.