PDA

View Full Version : Jay and the Americans in March

fndrbndr
01-04-2014, 03:55 PM
Any info yet on ticket sales and price for the Savannah Center show?

DandyGirl
01-04-2014, 04:10 PM
They're coming again? They were here Jan 2013. It was a great show!

Number 6
01-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Is it really Jay and the Americans? Well, IMHO, no. It is the Americans with a tribute lead singer. The original lead was Jay Traynor who has been in The Villages a number of times with The Tokens. He sang lead on "She Cried" and left the group. (He recently passed away.) He was replaced by Jay Black, who is the iconic voice on the rest of the hits. He toured for awhile as Jay and the Americans but lost the right to use the name in bankruptcy to the original Americans. They found another Jay on line and that is who tours these days. Jay Black tours as "The Voice". Nothing wrong with a tribute band, just so you understand what you are paying for.

ROCKETMAN
01-07-2014, 07:35 PM
According to theire website they will be here march 5th for 2 shows. Will be in villages paper shortly i would think.

fndrbndr
01-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the heads-up "Number 6"---will do some more research.

gatherer47
01-11-2014, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't call a band with three out of five original members a tribute band.

Number 6
01-12-2014, 08:19 AM
I wouldn't call a band with three out of five original members a tribute band.

If the iconic voice of the lead singer is missing it is a tribute band. Well, take the Lovin' Spoonful as an example. You have two (or three if you count Yester) original members BUT you don't have Sebastian (or Zally). Is that really what you would call the Spoonful;Joe Butler playing the autoharp and singing "Do You Believe in Magic"?

ROCKETMAN
01-12-2014, 08:36 AM
With 3 original members and a lead singer who i am sure has a voice closely resembling the other 2 jays, i am sure they will sound just fine. Tickets went on sale friday at the box office and i got there at 10 and they had sold over 200 tickets the first day. One thing about tribute bands, i have been to tribute bands like journey, fleetwood mac, bee gees, and they sound very much like the originals. The reason being the originals are 70 years old and voices are not as good as they were.

Number 6
01-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Right you are! There is nothing wrong with a tribute band, as long as you know what you are getting. I have seen a ton of Beatle tribute bands and have attended Abby Road on the River. We are going to see The Duprees and there are no original members there. It is a celebration of he music. What does bother me is when I read in the Daily Sun a couple saying that they always wanted to see the Spoonful! They still haven't.

Steve & Deanna
01-12-2014, 07:37 PM
I, too, would hardly call them a tribute band. If you look at ANY rock bands, some leave, come back, die off, go on their own etc. (i.e. Eric Clapton - Cream, Derek and the Dominos, Delany and Bonnie and Friends, Blind Faith). Three outta five band members ain't bad (or was that Two Out of Three Ain't Bad- Meat Loaf) Can't wait to see them. Multiple hits throughout the years.

Number 6
01-13-2014, 09:26 AM
It is not numbers, it is who we are talking about. Would the Four Seasons be the Four Seasons without Frankie Valli; the Animals without Eric Burdon; the Rascals without Felix; the Spoonful without Sebastian; Herman's Hermits without Peter Noone? Well, you take my point. Enjoy the show, but I would rather see Jay (the Voice) Black.