PDA

View Full Version : $$$ Help me Pick Vanguard Funds $$$

Aruca
01-05-2014, 12:43 PM
I have a Roth@ $10,000. In Vanguard Target Fund...I want to Become
more aggressive with this money. I'm in my mid 50's.
I have other investments that are managed but this little fund I'm managing in Vanguard .

Curious..{.what Vanguard Funds should I consider.}.not looking for any Bond funds..

Bogie Shooter
01-05-2014, 01:01 PM
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/vanguard-fund-options

hollander
01-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Be careful, you may not want to become "more aggressive" when the market is at record highs. Two Vanguard funds I have added in the last couple of months are VNQ and VGRLX. Both of these funds are going to be held for years.
A simple way to become "more aggressive" is to simply change the year on your current retirement fund, for instance if your current fund is 2020 you can change to 2030 and there is your easy way to increase equities exposure, but again this may not be smart when we are at record highs.
I have been a vanguard client for years and your best advice is to call them and check out their online resources.
Good Luck

l2ridehd
01-05-2014, 01:32 PM
I have a Roth@ $10,000. In Vanguard Target Fund...I want to Become
more aggressive with this money. I'm in my mid 50's.
I have other investments that are managed but this little fund I'm managing in Vanguard .

Curious..{.what Vanguard Funds should I consider.}.not looking for any Bond funds..

If I wanted to be aggressive and have only a single fund that provided proper diversity, I would buy the Vanguard Life Strategy Growth fund. VASGX. That one fund holds 56% total stock market, 24% total international stock, 16% total bond and 4% international bond. Since it began in 1994 it has returned an annual rate of 8.3%. Pretty good long term performance. Buy it and forget it.

donb9006
01-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Get out of mutual funds. They charge extra fees and make it very difficult to get in and out quickly. Buy an ETF that mimics what the Vangard fund does.

gustavo
01-05-2014, 11:02 PM
Get out of mutual funds. They charge extra fees and make it very difficult to get in and out quickly. Buy an ETF that mimics what the Vangard fund does.

Vanguard MFs fees are lower than most other companies ETF/ETNs. Additionally, Vanguard has EFT/ETN products that are as low or lower than most others. Take your pick, either the MF or the EFT/ETNs from Vanguard are the low cost providers. As for the difficulty of "getting in or out quickly", unless you are day trading, it takes one day, max, to change your position in a Vanguard MF, not so difficult.

Steve Gawdun
01-06-2014, 04:57 AM
In your case (only my opinion), select the S&P 500 index fund (SPY) through your cash brokerage account. Income average-in $2000 per month over the next 5 months. This way you're buying shares at the same time monthly for the best price your money can buy. Remember, these are the best 500 companies in the world. Buying them under SPY should only cost you $7 per purchase; if your in good standing with Vanguard.

JourneyOfLife
01-06-2014, 07:52 AM
Another sign the economic mood of the country is improving. "Better hurry or I might miss out!"

Novice investors stepping back up to the roulette wheel with their retirement money.

But I would appreciate another big gain in the S&P 500 in 2014. Thanks to all those contributing towards another great stock market year. ;)

Personally, I am going in the opposite direction in a measured way. I am going to rebalance to my strategic allocation (take some stock market gains and redeploy to a short-term bond fund till interest rates normalize a little more). When the stock market drops, is when I will rebalance the other way.

Remember, "The Stock Market Giveth, and the Stock Market Taketh Away!" The last time it Tooketh about 50%, the time before about 45%! "How will the risk look then?" Better yet, "What will you do then?"

donb9006
01-06-2014, 08:33 AM
Vanguard MFs fees are lower than most other companies ETF/ETNs. Additionally, Vanguard has EFT/ETN products that are as low or lower than most others. Take your pick, either the MF or the EFT/ETNs from Vanguard are the low cost providers. As for the difficulty of "getting in or out quickly", unless you are day trading, it takes one day, max, to change your position in a Vanguard MF, not so difficult.

Many online brokers allow comission free ETF trading. I'm talking about getting your money out of Vangard. Last time I had an account with them it took a week or more to get my money away from them. They wanted letters, no phone calls, no on-line redemption, to get my money out.

l2ridehd
01-06-2014, 08:56 AM
Many online brokers allow comission free ETF trading. I'm talking about getting your money out of Vangard. Last time I had an account with them it took a week or more to get my money away from them. They wanted letters, no phone calls, no on-line redemption, to get my money out.

Vanguard works exactly like any other brokerage account. And if you do buy an ETF commission free, you are still paying the underlying ETF management fee. And Vanguard, Fidelity and Schwab have the lowest fee's for the trade or the management fee of the ETF. The lowest cost way to invest in any MF or ETF is through Vanguard. I manage my entire portfolio using Vanguard, Fidelity and Schwab and my total expense for all investments is .011%. That is $11 each year for every $10,000 invested. I challenge you to beat that anywhere. Go to Morningstar and use their Xray tool to plug all your investments into and then check your total expenses. Also add any management and transaction costs you encounter.

And to get money from Vanguard all you need to do is set up the wire transfer feature to your bank and you can get any amount you have by selling the fund and placing in their MM account and then do the transfer. Usually about 24 hours. Schwab works almost the same way using their investor checking account, Fidelity usually takes a bit longer, but within 48 hours. The only issue I have getting funds settled is selling options in the Schwab brokerage account. They seem to take forever to settle the funds correctly.

KayakerNC
01-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Vanguard works exactly like any other brokerage account. And if you do buy an ETF commission free, you are still paying the underlying ETF management fee. And Vanguard, Fidelity and Schwab have the lowest fee's for the trade or the management fee of the ETF. The lowest cost way to invest in any MF or ETF is through Vanguard. I manage my entire portfolio using Vanguard, Fidelity and Schwab and my total expense for all investments is .011%. That is $11 each year for every $10,000 invested. I challenge you to beat that anywhere. Go to Morningstar and use their Xray tool to plug all your investments into and then check your total expenses. Also add any management and transaction costs you encounter.

And to get money from Vanguard all you need to do is set up the wire transfer feature to your bank and you can get any amount you have by selling the fund and placing in their MM account and then do the transfer. Usually about 24 hours. Schwab works almost the same way using their investor checking account, Fidelity usually takes a bit longer, but within 48 hours. The only issue I have getting funds settled is selling options in the Schwab brokerage account. They seem to take forever to settle the funds correctly.
:agree: In my experience, moving money from Vanguard to my B&M bank account was faster then moving money form my online bank (Discover).

gustavo
01-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Another sign the economic mood of the country is improving. "Better hurry or I might miss out!"

Novice investors stepping back up to the roulette wheel with their retirement money.

But I would appreciate another big gain in the S&P 500 in 2014. Thanks to all those contributing towards another great stock market year. ;)

Personally, I am going in the opposite direction in a measured way. I am going to rebalance to my strategic allocation (take some stock market gains and redeploy to a short-term bond fund till interest rates normalize a little more). When the stock market drops, is when I will rebalance the other way.

Remember, "The Stock Market Giveth, and the Stock Market Taketh Away!" The last time it Tooketh about 50%, the time before about 45%! "How will the risk look then?" Better yet, "What will you do then?"

Agree, I mentioned this in another post. Like you I have an allocation for equities and will maintain that regardless of the euphoria, but it is a telling sign that there is "all of the sudden" an interest in the market as evidenced by the recent TOTV posts about investing. Coincidence that the media is reporting near end of year the 25%+ gains in the market? Let the herd run begin.