PDA

View Full Version : FL is passing a law about local gov't controlling how you can rent your homes

neilbcox
02-09-2014, 11:08 AM
:posting::cus:

The Florida legislature is discussing a proposed law that will allow local governing authorities the ability to control how long you can rent your property. This law is sponsored mainly by the platinum coast legislators of THE BEACHES.

Why should anyone tell us how long we must rent private property?

Now is the time to stop this foolish law!

I wrote my state representatives! Will you?

BarryRX
02-09-2014, 11:13 AM
:posting::cus:

The Florida legislature is discussing a proposed law that will allow local governing authorities the ability to control how long you can rent your property. This law is sponsored mainly by the platinum coast legislators of THE BEACHES.

Why should anyone tell us how long we must rent private property?

Now is the time to stop this foolish law!

I wrote my state representatives! Will you?

If you could link to the proposed law so people could read it, it would be more helpful. I did a google search and couldn't find what you are referring to. I also went through the Florida Legislature calendar and could not find a house bill or senate bill that applies.

TrudyM
02-09-2014, 12:39 PM
Many developments have a minimum rental clause in their HOA rules that are with the deeds. A homeowner has agreed before purchasing.

But I don't think a law restricting all rentals in a town or state would stand up to judicial review. I mean dopey politicians can pass anything doesn't mean it will standup in the courts but best to keep them from passing the dumb thing in the first place.

JourneyOfLife
02-09-2014, 12:58 PM
Here is an article that might be what you are describing.

The proposed reform of a law that would return control of short-term rental regulations to counties and cities gained additional support at the Legislature Tuesday as it cleared a second Senate committee and its first House committee with solid backing.

Flagler’s Vacation Rental Reform Bill Advances Through 2 Committees, Buoying Chances (http://flaglerlive.com/63881/vacation-rentals/)

TrudyM
02-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Here is an article that might be what you are describing.

Flagler’s Vacation Rental Reform Bill Advances Through 2 Committees, Buoying Chances (http://flaglerlive.com/63881/vacation-rentals/)

So it is about returning the power over the issue to the counties. So when and if it passes then you need to keep an eye on Sumter and Lake and Marion counties to make sure they don't pass what you don't want. Rules on the number of renters as a ratio to square footage and even some length of stay requirements probably wouldn't effect people who rent in the villages too much as most rent monthly anyway and the no commercial use rules in the covens make the conversion to hotel like accomedations not viable anyway.

rubicon
02-09-2014, 02:31 PM
In my view the description of homes being used like a vacation resort is exactly what is happening here in TV and they call it a retirement community

golf2140
02-09-2014, 02:49 PM
In my view the description of homes being used like a vacation resort is exactly what is happening here in TV and they call it a retirement community

Way to many !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

villagerjack
02-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Be careful what you wish for! TheSnowbirds keep this place alive and some of them rent as well and without that opportunity, fewer buyers. Snowbirds are attracted because Amenities are controlled by the VCCD. and so they are assured of not being blocked out of enjoying what they paid for by full timers. That and the ability to rent and offset costs. It is a win win.

rubicon
02-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Be careful what you wish for! TheSnowbirds keep this place alive and some of them rent as well and without that opportunity, fewer buyers. Snowbirds are attracted because Amenities are controlled by the VCCD. and so they are assured of not being blocked out of enjoying what they paid for by full timers. That and the ability to rent and offset costs. It is a win win.

villagerjack: that fact hadn't escaped me. However it doesn't change the fact that a vacation destination isn't conducive to a retirement community

But we adjust

villagerjack
02-09-2014, 05:20 PM
villagerjack: that fact hadn't escaped me. However it doesn't change the fact that a vacation destination isn't conducive to a retirement community

But we adjust

People are the same whether they are on vacation or not. I cannot tell the difference and met a lot of great people on the golf course, some who rent and some who own....no difference. You would have to convince me why it is " not conducive to a retirement community" How do they interfere with you? You lost me.

courtyard
02-09-2014, 06:49 PM
We invested our life savings this year in buying a home in a new "single family neighborhood" in TV. Then, later we discovered we were surrounded on all three sides with For Rent signs. This is why we need some new housing regulations. This was sold to us as a retirement community not an investment opportunity. :-(

nitehawk
02-09-2014, 07:43 PM
We invested our life savings this year in buying a home in a new "single family neighborhood" in TV. Then, later we discovered we were surrounded on all three sides with For Rent signs. This is why we need some new housing regulations. This was sold to us as a retirement community not an investment opportunity. :-(

:BigApplause::BigApplause::BigApplause:

villagerjack
02-09-2014, 07:59 PM

Why does that bother you? Are not there other folks on your street? You bought a home and so did the people who rent. They have the same rights as you do and perhaps they bought because it was a good investment opportunity. The fact that people are able to rent increases the buyer pool, particularly the snowbird buyer pool and without the snowbirds this would not be nearly as successful as it is.

villagerjack
02-09-2014, 08:24 PM
I know of a retirement community in another state with 3 month rental requirements. attracts few snowbirds. They started building in 1995 and by most accounts it is successful and a great place to live. Well managed. However, they still did not sell out the total of just 8,200 homes. About 900 to go. Selling about 100 new homes a year. Values declined after 2007 and still have not picked up . Home on a golf course is about $130-150 sf. Same home here about $200-250 sf. This is not in the middle of nowhere. It is about 12 miles from Hilton Head Island and 20 miles from Savannah, Ga.

njbchbum
02-09-2014, 08:39 PM
Why does that bother you? Are not there other folks on your street? You bought a home and so did the people who rent. They have the same rights as you do and perhaps they bought because it was a good investment opportunity. The fact that people are able to rent increases the buyer pool, particularly the snowbird buyer pool and without the snowbirds this would not be nearly as successful as it is.

Would probably bother me since I would constantly have 'neighbors' I could never get to know...'cause by the time I might - their lease would be up and new 'neighbors' would arrive.

gadaboutgal
02-21-2014, 09:54 PM
The Villages is not a "retirement" community; it is an "over 55" community. Many of our fellow Villagers are not retired and are still working -some full time and some part-time. Some within The Villages, some in surrounding cities.
We have had neighbors who worked in their business in the winter from their Village home and then returned north to work in their other home in the other seasons.
So really the rent/no rent has nothing to do with anyone's choice of where they wanted to retire. The key is we all wanted to live where the preponderance of residents are all over a certain age.

mulligan
02-22-2014, 05:51 AM
The majority of renters are OK. A few are "bad apples". I think a minimum 90 day rental would be appropriate. If that discouraged anyone from buying a home, just step aside. There are plenty of others looking for a retirement home.

asianthree
02-22-2014, 10:08 AM
The majority of renters are OK. A few are "bad apples". I think a minimum 90 day rental would be appropriate. If that discouraged anyone from buying a home, just step aside. There are plenty of others looking for a retirement home.

If you limit 3 months ..most Canadian renters would go elsewhere and I love my Canadian neighbors

dillywho
02-22-2014, 10:19 AM
If you limit 3 months ..most Canadian renters would go elsewhere and I love my Canadian neighbors

I think the poster means no less than 3 months, which is 3 months or more. That would pretty much eliminate the "vacationers" who come for a vacation with no intention of ever buying and have no ties to here.

justjim
02-22-2014, 10:20 AM
Most Condo Association (especially in resort areas) have deed restrictions regarding rentals. The main reason is to keep units from being turned into motels.

Many allow only 3 month or longer rentals---for some the minimum is one month. I completely understand why you want such restrictions. Frankly, I was surprised that no such restrictions on daily or weekly rentals were not in the TV deed restrictions.

whybeglum
02-27-2014, 09:16 PM
Hi
I am renting for the winter and all I do is run to open houses desperate to find a house to buy and there are zillions of us who come see and just know that "this is the place"

Without us "zillions" buying and bidding up prices there would be no "villages" and no appreciation on the price of a home. So welcome the renters I say :-)

RE

VT2TV
02-28-2014, 12:04 AM

Thankfully, that has not happened to us, but I agree with you. I wish there was a minimum time for renters. If people wanted to view the villages as a possible new home, there are the Lifestyle stays. I have heard a lot of people refer to The Villages as almost a timeshare property because of all the renters. If people are only here for a short time, they are not necessarily vested in keeping this place looking as perfect as it looks, and aren't able to keep up with changes, not to mention understanding the traffic circles-a lot of the full timers have trouble with this too. It is easy to think " I don't care about that, I don't live here". And BTW, I am not saying that I dislike the renters or the snowbirds, or even that I love all the full timers. A few of my favorite people are Canadians. But in general, I would rather have full time owners here. Just my opinion...

CFrance
02-28-2014, 12:44 AM
In Key West, they stopped issuing new permits to landlords for weekly rentals five or so years ago. Those permits already out there were allowed to stay, but they would only issue new permits for monthly rentals. The reason was that the weekly rentals were drawing so many people into town that every contractor possible was buying up houses and turning them into rentals. The stock of affordable housing for the people who live and work in Key West went way down, with the housing prices going way up.

I hope they are not planning to reverse that regulation.

Abster
02-28-2014, 05:59 AM
I have even seen nightly rentals posted for The Villages. I don't think that is the image this community wants to project. I'm waiting to see "rooms for rent" signs around here!

Golfingnut
02-28-2014, 06:22 AM
People are the same whether they are on vacation or not. I cannot tell the difference and met a lot of great people on the golf course, some who rent and some who own....no difference. You would have to convince me why it is " not conducive to a retirement community" How do they interfere with you? You lost me.

I must disagree, Rubicon has the correct post. Snow birds are temporary residents, where vacationers are to the most part on a very different journey.

rubicon
02-28-2014, 08:33 AM
Please bear in mind my comments are not directly aimed at renters but rather the concept of renting in a retirement community. Some say its not a retirement community but an over 55 community. So I redirect and ask why The Villages media department claims "you can live like a millionaire with your retirement savings" It doe not say your occupational salary.

I said in another post the reason I am concerned about this "vacation destination mentality is that it distracts from sound financial planning and objects and needs for our retirement community. Should the Districts act as if they are a staff seeing to the needs of cruise line passengers or residents of a retirement community in which for most residents their last and final resting place?

In my humble view we have a serious communication problem here and it is misdirecting the intent of what was told we were buying into.

The renting process has created a population velocity increasing the demands on our amenities multi-modal paths roads, etc and hence reduces our quality of life. There are a number of people who have purchased homes solely for the purpose of renting them and as one observant poster shared leads to a motel mentality.

I opine you decide