PDA

View Full Version : An investment club (for learning)

Avista
11-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Is there one here?

efrahin
11-19-2007, 03:18 PM
No yet.

travelstiles
11-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Please check out the recent posts under financial planning and retirement. I've copied my comments from that thread below. I'd prefer to consider a financial planning club rather than just investments, as many people focus on their investments and don't pay enough attention to the other aspects of financial planning, such as estate, tax and insurance issues. Investments also scare off many people, as I've found out over 20+ years as a CFP practitioner.
Let me know what everyone thinks about this :bigthumbsup:
__________________________________________________ ____
There are several ways to work with financial institutions, as well as fee/commission arrangements, depending on how involved you want to get (no such thing as one size fits all!).
I am a Certified Financial Planner (not looking for clients or work!) who's worked for a major financial services firm and just retired. I've transferred my NY membership in the Financial Planning Association to the Florida region and will be very active with them when we move to TV on 12/28. I've also provided financial planning seminars on the entire east coast, so love financial education and sharing what I have learned. I'd love to help start a financial club when we get to TV.
I will go through my files and post some informational links for everyone to access (none affiliated with any company, all educational). As I am on my way out for the rest of today, I'll post a full page by tomorrow afternoon, but for now begin with this one, which is the best (you'll know this if you've read Jonathan Clements columns in the Wall St. Journal:

http://www.cfp.net/

stay tuned for more... :bigthumbsup:

Avista
11-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks, that would be great. Would love to learn more without pressure to buy.

DickY
11-19-2007, 05:38 PM
I noticed on the college catalog for The Villages Lifelong Learning College http://thevillageslifelongcollege.com/ under the fall and winter classes 2008 that they had some classes in finance that included investing. There are a lot of resources at TV.

efrahin
11-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Now we are cooking with gas.

travelstiles
11-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Yesterday I posted a link that is considered the bible for information on financial planning and finding a qualified advisor. I have numerous more resources I can share, but have not gotten any feedback on what the readers thought of the first link.
:dontknow:
Any comments?

http://www.cfp.net/

shy
11-19-2007, 08:26 PM
I was unfamiliar with the website previously. Found it to be helpful. There is so much to learn. At our stage in life, I believe information on estate planning would be beneficial.

travelstiles
11-19-2007, 08:34 PM
I agree - if we start the club in 2008 that should be a topic on our agenda. Thanks for the feedback - I'll be posting more info over the next few days.

inda50
04-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Has a club been started?

travelstiles
04-10-2008, 02:11 AM
Some of us are looking into it now -
wondering how many would be interested in an educational format (no sales reps, etc.)

inda50
04-12-2008, 11:16 PM
keep me in mind if it materializes

KathieI
04-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Some of us are looking into it now -
wondering how many would be interested in an educational format (no sales reps, etc.)

Count me in Trav. I think this would be a great idea. We've talked about it in the chat room recently, but what do we need to get this started. I know a lot of the "chat packers" were interested, so let's discuss this next week when we're all in TV together and maybe we can get this started. I, for one, am very excited about learning more and am a novice at financial planning as I left it up to hubby but now I'm on my own so I must take charge.!!

Should we also put this post under Fem Forum? I think a lot of sistah's are interested but they prob don't look under clubs topics. What do you think?

Kath

KathieI
04-13-2008, 06:59 PM
BTW, thanks B3, I didn't know this post was here so I'm glad you brought it to my attention. Good work as usual :bigthumbsup:

Kath

ConeyIsBabe
04-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Please count me in on any financial planning/investment club if anyone is compiling a list of prospective members; I don't know yet when I'll land in TV but when I do, I have much to learn about that topic :bigthumbsup:

Muncle
04-13-2008, 09:02 PM
I would be most interested in checking out something like this. I'm basically a buy and hold type, though I really haven't bought that much. I've still got my Lucent that I picked up at about $75. :cus: If I'd bought Enron, I'd probably still have it with my Pan Am and TWA stock. When my friends were all making and losing fortunes day trading in the 90's, I was dismissing it as a fluke. There was one fellow in the office who really did make a fortune. I'd worked with this guy for a number of years and knew full well that he wasn't any more intelligent than me or several other coworkers. Yet he kicked ass on the market. :dontknow: I tried to learn from him but failed. To this day, I don't understand how a company's stock can skyrocket when they have no product, no sales, no prospects, only expenses. I know I'd have been better off dumping some individual stocks and maybe putting the money in funds or maybe under a mattress, but inertia and ignorance have kept me from acting. I'd love to understand the system a bit better and learn a few of the simpler tricks of the trade. Though most of my savings are now tied up in dental bills, :yikes: I do still have a few small investments I'd like to save.

barb1191
04-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Will this venture be a FYI educational effort, or will there be real hands-on investments planned and practiced within the group?

Pls add hubby Bill and me to your list of potential members. Sounds like a real winner!!

barb1191

Boomer
04-27-2008, 11:44 PM
I thought this thread was bumpworthy so I reached into the clubs forum and brought it back for another run.

I was wondering if it looks like this puppy's gonna hunt.

It is the first club I will look for if we ever get to TV so I hope it is up and running by then. But I will come in disguise. I will not be wearing my flannel pj's.

Boomer

aln
04-27-2008, 11:58 PM
ACTUALLY, There are 2 investment clubs in TV.
I belong to the OBGIC - Orange Blossum Garden Investment Club.
It is probably the oldest.
We meet once a month at Laurel Manor (3rd Wed). 1PM.
While the purpose is to learn we do invest $50 per member per month.
There is also a startup which you can find out more about at the meetings.
We are also associated with NAIC - National Association of Investment Clubs