PDA

View Full Version : Garage Storage Cabinets

Dayzee
02-19-2014, 11:49 PM
We are planning to install storage units in the garage and are considering wood cabinets. With the heat and humidity during the summer months, we are concerned about warping - has anyone experienced this problem? Your recommendations please.

Bonanza
02-20-2014, 04:02 AM
We are planning to install storage units in the garage and are considering wood cabinets. With the heat and humidity during the summer months, we are concerned about warping - has anyone experienced this problem? Your recommendations please.

We decided against wood in the garage because of the heat and humidity in the summer.

We purchased some heavy duty cabinets from Lowe's. They aren't inexpensive but are very sturdy. The brand name is Kobalt and they are grey and black. The doors have metal peg board built-in for smaller items. The doors close snugly can be locked and the feet can be adjusted for uneven floors. They come in a few different sizes. We've purchased two and plan to buy another one or two.

The nice thing is if you move or don't want them anymore, you can take them with you or sell them. If you have cabinets installed, then they become part of the house.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

villagetinker
02-20-2014, 10:43 AM
I went with steel cabinets from Home Depot (Husky brand), lifetime warranty, as these had all of the options I wanted. Many of these are kit type, but are fairly simple to put together. Black and grey design, look real nice. Also, I was able to cut down some plywood to add some additional shelves.

ajs922
02-20-2014, 05:27 PM
We got ours from Lowes. Ordered them online and they were shipped to our home for free. It took me about 20 minutes to put them together.

LndLocked
02-20-2014, 09:31 PM
I have installed wooden cabinets in prob 2 dozen garages in Florida (both my own and other peoples) from S. Fla to N. Florida, with zero problems with heat and/or humidity.

Granted they were quality wooden cabinets (my fav is to buy good quality kitchen cabinets that people are selling when they remodel a kitchen and convert them) ... but it not that hot or humid here and it if it rains in your garage .... cabinets there are the least of your problems. :laugh:

jhrc4
02-21-2014, 07:38 AM
Very good question and here is what I did. I have wooden cabinets along with a work table in my garage. They are white inexpensive kitchen cabinets that I purchased @Lowes.
Next I contacted Jimmy Jones,( J.J.) to install them for me. His phone number is 352-460-2173, Jimmy is a Village resident, honest, dependable, and heck of a nice guy.
Jimmy has many, many talents installing cabinets in a garage is pretty tame for him.
Honestly the job he did for me is 1st class he utilized the space in the garage to the Max. He even picked up the cabinets @Lowes for me and saved the delivery charge.
He is extremely reasonable with his charge. You will not have one regret.

kaydee
02-21-2014, 10:59 PM
We have the white inexpensive cupboards in our garage. We've had them for almost 12 yrs and still going strong. No warping or any other problems with them.

Dayzee
02-22-2014, 10:52 PM
Thank you for your responses. You've been helpful.