PDA

View Full Version : battery desulphator

gonzy
11-27-2007, 04:15 AM
Does anyone have any experience with using a battery desulphator on golf cart batteries? From the research I've done it appears that they can extend the life of batteries by removing the lead sulphate buildup from the plates. I looked at my batteries and the lead is visible by removing the filler cover. I've heard of one guy who resurrected some old golf cart batteries using a desulphator and the literature implies that if you use it periodically it will extend battery life but would like to hear some real life testimonials.

handieman
11-28-2007, 02:31 AM
The lead plates should never be visible when a lead acid battery is filled properly. Allowing the lead plates to be exposed contributes greatly to a shortened battery life. Fully charge your batteries THEN fill them with distilled water to the bottom of the fill sleeve making sure the plates are in the acid.
For those who dislike this chore, you can purchase a fill system that does it all with a squeeze of the bulb
Handie :joke:

zcaveman
11-28-2007, 02:41 AM
To follow on Handie :joke:, you should check your battery levels once a week and fill them accordingly. You should also get a wrench and make sure all of the battery cables are snugged down.

To those that disagree with the weekly - yes you can go less often but it only takes a minute and as much as I use my cart, I am often surprised to find a low level on one of two cells even with the weekly check.

DENNIS G
12-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Does anyone have any experience with using a battery desulphator on golf cart batteries? From the research I've done it appears that they can extend the life of batteries by removing the lead sulphate buildup from the plates. I looked at my batteries and the lead is visible by removing the filler cover. I've heard of one guy who resurrected some old golf cart batteries using a desulphator and the literature implies that if you use it periodically it will extend battery life but would like to hear some real life testimonials.

I used an additive from JC Whitney a couple years back in a 36 volt Club Car. I had 2 batteries with dead cells. I put the additive in and after 2-3 charges they were back to full charge. I did not have anymore problems until I sold the cart a year later. Go to JCW.com, in search put ZX129084A for the quart bottle $24.99 or ZX133723R for the gallon size $69.99 plus shipping. I ordered the quart size, and divided it among all 6 batteries.

gonzy
12-07-2007, 03:58 AM
Thanks Dennis I will check it out. I ordered a desulfator will report back after trying it out.

golfnut
12-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Look forward to hearing how the product works for you.

gonzy
12-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Have had a battery on the desulphator for about 5 days now and I can see the lead buildup starting to soften and some of it has gone back into solution. I'm going to leave it on for another week. If you want to see what I'm talking about shine a flashlight into a cell of your battery and if it's more than 6 months old you can actually see the lead sulfate buildup between the plates. I think I will also try the stuff from JCW that dennis suggested. With the price of golf cart batteries at $200 each anything that extends the life is worth trying. Will keep you posted on progress.

gratton
12-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Gonzy --you got it wrong on the price of new batteries, Sams in ocala has them for around 60 bucks each for 8 volt batteries, If your paying 200 each your getting ripped off big time

Bob

DENNIS G
12-19-2007, 12:45 AM
Gonzy --you got it wrong on the price of new batteries, Sams in ocala has them for around 60 bucks each for 8 volt batteries, If your paying 200 each your getting ripped off big time

Bob

If you have a Ford Think, the batteries (complete set) runs nearly $1300.00 installed.

golfnut
12-31-2007, 03:56 PM
Anything new to report gonzy?

gonzy
01-01-2008, 10:57 PM
I've moved on to second battery will leave it on desulfator for 2 weeks or so. The first battery is back in the cart now and is not (boiling) over as it was before. I think the only way to prove this beyond a doubt is to try the desulfator on a dead battery and see if it can be revived. I have read many testimonials from people who are users not sellers and presume they are trustworthy but I would like to see for myself. If anyone has a dead battery that they would like to donate to the cause send me an e-mail. It must be a 12 volt battery as that is rated voltage for my unit. I'm still trying to find the battery rejuvinator (liquid you add to battery) that Dennis talked about, have checked all local auto supply stores they don't carry it. I've found a couple sources on line but shipping is almost as much as the product.

gonzy
01-18-2008, 01:05 AM
I found the battery additive in Wal Mart but it was not with the batteries it was in the fishing section. I assume that the the guys with electric trolling motors use it? Anyway I'm going to add it to the next battery that I put on the desulfator. I'm currently on battery #3. I checked my 4 yr old car battery and it also showed a lot of lead sulfate buildup on the plates so will attach the desulfator to it when I'm finished with the GC batteries. Sure would like to try this thing on a completely dead battery if anybody has one. If I can't find a freebie I may just go buy one from one of the dealers.

kwachowski
05-12-2008, 08:46 PM
When the vendors are on Spanish Springs which is Monday and Wednesday there is a guy there that sells the battery desulphator. I think its $19.95 a bottle. I haven't used it yet but I am wondering if anyone has??????? He claims it will double the life of your batteries.

gonzy
05-16-2008, 03:42 PM
I finally found a dead battery to test and while it allowed the battery to be charged again I still haven't heard from the guy I did it for if there was any significant long term improvement in performance. I completed desulfating of all my golf cart batteries and I tried the liquid in one of them. While I noticed an improvement I don't think it was worth the investment or the labor of removing and desulfating each of the batteries (those babies are heavy). I permanently mounted the desulfator to the wifes car battery, from what I've read they do a better job of preventing sulfation than trying to reverse it afterward.