PDA

View Full Version : Arthur Chu and Jeopardy

Taltarzac725
03-13-2014, 07:52 AM
'Jeopardy!' champ Chu unseated after 12-day run - MSN TV News (http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=856806)

What did you think of the maverick Jeopardy champion Arthur Chu? His approach to playing the game was very offsetting to other contestants but his opponents often seemed to be trying to adapt to his way of playing.

graciegirl
03-13-2014, 08:51 AM
'Jeopardy!' champ Chu unseated after 12-day run - MSN TV News (http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=856806)

What did you think of the maverick Jeopardy champion Arthur Chu? His approach to playing the game was very offsetting to other contestants but his opponents often seemed to be trying to adapt to his way of playing.

I think he is a smart guy from Ohio. I have heard we have two smart people in Ohio. ;)

redwitch
03-13-2014, 08:54 AM
He was smart; he had a strategy. It worked quite well for him. I did notice that Jeopardy began moving the double jeopardy questions to the lower levels. I guess you could say the game gamed the gamer.

Taltarzac725
03-13-2014, 09:17 AM
I think he is a smart guy from Ohio. I have heard we have two smart people in Ohio. ;)

We'll there are at least two. I hung out with a gal from Toledo, OH while at the University of Denver Graduate School of Librarianship and Information Management. We even hooked up while I lived in Belmont, CA. She was an air force base librarian at that time on the Coast of CA. Now she is one of my various Facebook friends. I had lost track of her when she followed her military husband to Germany. She is no longer in Ohio, though, and now is in New Mexico. I do have some smart Facebook friends who are in Ohio.

I am not going to try to befriend Arthur Chu on Facebook though. He probably has more than enough Facebook friends.

Richard1366
03-13-2014, 09:26 AM
He is not the first to skip around the board, it has been done by quite a few contestants.

Taltarzac725
03-15-2014, 06:39 AM
He is not the first to skip around the board, it has been done by quite a few contestants.

I had not known that. Thanks. I tried to take the Jeopardy test online a few years ago but could not get a good computer connection. Doubt if I would do very well with that kind of situation of accessing a lot of knowledge, remaining calm, and doing well with the clicker while a lot of people are watching. I hated being called on, for instance, while in law school mainly because I need some time to evaluate, research, measure, etc. my answers.

DaleMN
03-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Extremely smart but pompous. :doh:

redwitch
03-15-2014, 11:02 AM
Extremely smart but pompous. :doh:

I just considered Chu arrogant. The resting of his head on his hand while he rang in was extremely off-putting. I loved GMA -- he was interviewed after he lost and then Kurt Jennings came on via Skype to congratulate him. Obviously Kurt was joking but did manage to rub it in that Arthur only won 11 games (Kurt won something like 74 games). I thought it was an extremely nice comeuppance.

zcaveman
03-15-2014, 11:34 AM
We thought he was a very arrogant person. We was praying for someone to beat him.

Z

Taltarzac725
03-15-2014, 12:35 PM
We thought he was a very arrogant person. We was praying for someone to beat him.

Z

He did seem quite full of himself. Quite a contrast to the more humble but much more adept Ken Jennings as Redwitch pointed out.

ZCaveman, Congrats on your weekly FunTrivia Knockout win! http://www.funtrivia.com/knockout/chart.cfm?tid=90 I am working on getting my 12th victory but the competition is getting quite good or I just have a poor showing in some of the days. Unfortunately, it is often Tuesdays. In now have 93 Knockouts points and hope to reach 110 by May 5, 2014 by FunTrivia Birthday. 12 and 110 are my goals.

2BNTV
03-15-2014, 12:52 PM

Lets see......you and.......... Bill. Right?

Chu won over $300,000. Impressive but no one yet, has come near, Ken Jennings in winnings. IMHO

kellyjam
03-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Lets see......you and.......... Bill. Right?

Chu won over $300,000. Impressive but no one yet, has come near, Ken Jennings in winnings. IMHO

Actually Brad Rutter is the all time money winner on Jeopardy at 3.47 million to Ken's 3.1 million. Ken holds the most consecutive appearances at 74. Hopefully they will meet up in the battle of the decades contest going on now.

Taltarzac725
03-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Actually Brad Rutter is the all time money winner on Jeopardy at 3.47 million to Ken's 3.1 million. Ken holds the most consecutive appearances at 74. Hopefully they will meet up in the battle of the decades contest going on now.

That would be something to see. I wonder if they keep up on their trivia skills. Maybe on FunTrivia.com? http://www.funtrivia.com/ There are some incredible players on there but then they do not have the pressure of an audience.