PDA

View Full Version : ya gotta do what makes your heart sing!

nONIE
12-19-2007, 12:20 AM
A few years ago I was watching an Oprah show titled "Do what makes your heart sing" It had a psycologist on trying to explain what willkeep you happy for the rest of your life! She said, think back to when you were a kid and try to remember what made your heart sing! Now that really got me thinking, it took me 2 years to come up with an answer but when I did it hit me like a ton of bricks! I would drag every alley cat and dog home, feed it, give it a warm bed and some love and pets. Now 18 years later I am happily donating time at my local animal shelter daily.

Now I know that people in TV are probably screaming out opera on a daily basis but for those of us that arent there yet ya better get thinkin.

So---- Im really interested in what makes YOUR heart sing. ( a litle sappy I know) but it works!

nONIE
12-19-2007, 01:03 AM
Thanks for responding Osh, you sound like a fantastic person to know, cant wait to meet you some day! ;D

villages07
12-19-2007, 01:24 AM
Special moment for me is being outside early on a warm Florida morning either walking or tooling in the golf cart to tennis or tee time and just drinking in the sunshine, fresh smells, serenity, and beauty that is a new day in The Villages.

Sappy enough?

nONIE
12-19-2007, 01:27 AM
uh hu!

chelsea24
12-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Past -- thinking of my childhood holidays at my Grandma's farm. It was really like a Currier and Ives painting. She actually did buy a horse and sleigh for all the grandchildren to enjoy! The smell of her kitchen, fresh baked cookies, all my cousins and aunts and uncles gathered. And everyone got along! Fancy that! Or the summers on that farm with the wonderful fields to run through. All the grandkids spent their summer vacations there, bee stings and all. God Bless Grandman Annie!

Current -- I cannot be sad over anything when holding a puppy or a kitten. They truly make my heart sing. Also, being a new resident of TV, the incredible sunsets. I love twilight. I commented to my husband that every evening it's like seeing a new work of art.

Mostly, being thankful everyday, for all of the good fortune and friends I've been blessed with through the years. And, last but not least, as if this isn't mushy enough, my husband makes my heart sing. He's made every dream of mine come true.

redwitch
12-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Really not much of a singer, but there are some things that truly make my heart soar. One was the first time I saw Yosemite. I truly felt like I was in a postcard. Since then, it has become my place of refuge.

Oddly, the other is driving. Just getting in the car with no real distination and seeing where the road will take me. These gas prices are really cutting in that, though.

travelstiles
12-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Red,
I love to just get in the car and drive as well. On LI, I would drive down to Ocean Parkway on the South Shore, which runs all along Jones Beach and Robert Moses State Park. At night it was particularly calming.
My kids (now 26 and 22) often tell me that some of their best memories are of our many road trips up and down the East Coast, from Montreal to Florida and everywhere in between, playing Wilie Nelson tapes with a cooler full of snacks, sandwiches and frozen juice packs in the car. They both enjoy road trips now as well.
As far as the price of gas, I drive a Mini, so luckily I can still indulge in my drives. ;)

Kitria
12-20-2007, 04:46 AM
Making people smile makes my heart soar..and my soul sing. Every day my mission is to make at least one person smile. Smiling is contagious, thus, I usually go over my quota of one.

Having my family healthy and happy makes my heart sing. Right now it is a symphony.

Giving to others makes my heart sing..

Life is a song..sometimes it is out of tune..it makes the the times when it is in 4 part harmony that much richer.

Hope2b
12-20-2007, 12:54 PM
So many things make my heart sing. My life has drastically changed in the last couple years. I moved to TV and loved it so much but could not have a really good time because I weighed 307 pounds and walking around the square was a challenge. I tried line dancing and lasted 5 minutes. Spent the entire night with leg cramps. My husband loved me as I was but I did not love me. THEN I found Dr Jawad in Ocala and my life changed!!!! I had gastric bypass surgery and lost 100+ pounds. I sing every day now. After close to three years it has been a struggle to keep the weight off BUT I will do it!!! I am having more fun then anyone should!!! These days everything makes my heart sing.

nONIE
12-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Hope, Soooo happy for you. Congratulations!

nhsnowbird
12-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Hope, good for you! I can imagine sharing that was difficult because whenever we share something personal with others, it can be difficult but rewarding. Thank you for sharing.

Hope you and your family have a happy holiday.

KathieI
12-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Hope, so glad you made that very important move and sounds like you have the right attitude. Do they have weight control support groups in TV? Like Weight Watchers or TOPS??

When I get there, we'll walk every day you and I. When I was there for 3 weeks in Nov. I lost 10 lbs. and believe me, I was soo happy!!

Good luck, Kathie

nONIE
12-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Im walkin too! Love to walk so good for everything!!! Mabe w'll see Forrest Gump on our journey!

Hyacinth Bucket
12-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Hi great thread.

Please count me in as a walking buddy.

Thanks.

Hyacinth Bucket

KathieI
12-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Great, the more the merrier.

Walking starts in Feb. when I get there. Okay? But of course, you could always start in Jan as a precursor to when the "shy" one gets to town.!!!

Oh Dear!! Another thing for my list in Feb... better stay longer... 040

nONIE
12-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Kath, the expression, so much to do, so little time , really has taken on new meaning in TV. Better stay forever!