PDA

View Full Version : Flea Markets

Irish Rover
12-28-2007, 02:36 AM
Hey Gang, is the flea market just North of TV still operating? Are there any others semi close to TV? Have to keep the Banshee happy with a weekly visit to a flea market while we are there.
Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!!!

nONIE
12-28-2007, 02:46 AM
oooooo!!! Love those flea markets, cant get enough of them. When I was there in November I frequented Mkts of Marion every weekend! They are open Friday, Saturday and Sunday. There is also one a little further north of Mkts of marion, same side of 441 about a mile north. Not quite as upscale but still have some good buys.

Also, have you ever been to the one in Webster? This one will keep you walking from morning till night. It is huge!!! approximately 30 miles s.w. of TV.

Let me know how you made out!

Irish Rover
12-28-2007, 02:50 AM
Thanks Nonie - we have been to Marion and really enjoy it each year, but I thought it was going to close. Webster sounds good. That's what I am looking for. I'll get back to you if we find something terrific.
Happy New Year!!

nONIE
12-28-2007, 02:54 AM
Irish,

I sure hope it isnt closing up, not sure I could cope with that! :'(

Would ya be a doll and let me know if you find out its closed? I dont want to get there and go into shock this winter. I live there on the weekends. Oh by the way, I think Webster is only open on Mondays. Seems weird to me but thats there day.

Irish Rover
12-28-2007, 03:00 AM
Nonie - We will be in TV on Sunday but won't go up there until the following weekend. I'll let you know. The rumor last year was the land was sold to a developer but with the housing market being what it is, maybe things fell through. My wife feels the same way you do about the market.

Hyacinth Bucket
01-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Question - The flea markets you mention - do they sell primarily new items? antiques? household stuff?

Thanks.

Hyacinth Bucket

nONIE
01-05-2008, 07:56 PM
HB,

The Mkts. of Marion sells primarily new items, there are some vendors selling used items but I wouldnt classify them as antiques more in the "junk" category. Webster flea mkt. has a mix of just about anything and everything. From live animals to furniture to electronics.

Prepare to wear your best walking shoes if you go to Webster, it is enormous! They also have food vendors at both Mkts. so its easy to spend the day at either.

HB are you a flea mkt person?
has a mix

Hyacinth Bucket
01-05-2008, 10:18 PM
nONIE - a definite YES. We have made great friends at various flea markets. I preferred the old fashioned kind. Where people bought the contents of their home, or used it as a yard sale.

We go to one near Springville, NY (not to far from where Handie lives) that used to be like that but it is slowly changing.

I heard that two or three times a year there is a mega flea market near TV. Do you know anything about that.

Keep me posted. Perhaps we can all go together and make a day of it.

HB

nONIE
01-05-2008, 11:23 PM
HB,

We have something in common, beside flea mkts. We are both missing our cap finger!!

The only other one I can think of is Renninger's in Mt. Dora on 441. Yes, a couple times a year they have people from all over the country come in and set up in the open fields. It is so big it makes my head spin. Mostly antiques for these I found them very expensive at least compared to my area. Hubby will not even consider going with me on these jaunts. Problem is I love to collect but dont like to get rid of!! And at this point in life with dreams of moving to TV someday it is very frustrating to curb my buying and collecting habits!

I have a very small home in TV and am not at all sure how I am going to downsize. So many sentimental antiques. :dontknow:

Hyacinth Bucket
01-05-2008, 11:38 PM
I am a collector. Items I collect do not have to be valuable - I just like them. First collection was Avon Bottles. Still have boxes of them.

When I asked our local auctioneer to come in, someone who I trust, I gave him the paintings, china items and glassware I liked the most. Felt if I could part with these, rest would be easier. Not necessarily so.

In TV, a request has been made by the non-collector, who shall remain nameless, that I not bring any of my collections to TV nor do I start another collection. So I need to know where is the closest flea market/garage sale/yard sale. Just kidding?

I can bring some art work, items we have purchased from our travels and I am not to sure what else. We will have another fund raiser yard sale, perhaps two, no three I guess 5 more sales to somewhat empty this home.

This in a way is one of the harder parts of setting up a new home and also one of the better things - forces me to make decisions and let go of materialistic items.

HB

nONIE
01-07-2008, 01:49 AM
HB,

Funny thing, when Im in TV the farthest thing from my mind is materilaistic items. There is so much to do and take part in that "things" just dont seem to matter anymore. This does make it easier to part with some of the present items that I am now holding onto for whatever reason.

I know that when the final move takes place, it wont be as difficult as I think it will knowing what Im giving them up for. Its so worth it!

Rokinronda
03-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Came to the Villages with 25 boxes, my painting easel, big screen tv and hub's very important guitar and stereo. Gave away sooooo much including many of my own original oil paintings, great antique flea market finds, etc..I kept a few of my favorites and most of the very sentimental items. Our home was fully furnished with nearly new everything (all pastel >: ). Now, after 3+years I want to get a new couch and a chair, rug and really make it ME! The rest is fine. I have no regrets. Not 1 !!!