PDA

View Full Version : How many books do you read per year?

Taltarzac
02-04-2008, 06:06 PM
I often read more than one book at a time so it is hard for me to answer this.

Muncle
02-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Normally I do 5-6 books a week, but I'm almost out of crayons. The only colors I have left are "flesh" and "thistle". :joke:

Seriously, I'll be very surprised if there is much dispersal in answers to this question. In a period as short as a week, I expect 95%+ to answer with the first option. Suggest the time period be expanded to 1 month and that zero be a separate selection. It's unfortunately becoming less and less surprising to find a large number of people who have not read an actual book since school days. :yikes:

Taltarzac
02-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Normally I do 5-6 books a week, but I'm almost out of crayons. The only colors I have left are "flesh" and "thistle". :joke:

Seriously, I'll be very surprised if there is much dispersal in answers to this question. In a period as short as a week, I expect 95%+ to answer with the first option. Suggest the time period be expanded to 1 month and that zero be a separate selection. It's unfortunately becoming less and less surprising to find a large number of people who have not read an actual book since school days. :yikes:

Thanks, Muncle. Edited the poll and reset it to zero.

"You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me."

About these voices? Are people attached to them? Once had a fellow student at the U of Denver Graduate School of Librarianship and Information Management who always demanded an extra seat for her invisible friend. I just see numbers in weird places and think they may mean something. Who knows?

Avista
02-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Is question How many per week or per year? I thought was per week, then graph showed per year.

Boomer
02-05-2008, 12:51 AM
Tal,

I am too embarrassed to take part in your poll. I need a category that says, "Not enough. -Not even close." But your question did remind me how much I like to read.

I see from your posts that you are very connected to libraries. I know a couple of people who work in public libraries, and I think most of the book loving public would not believe some of the stories librarians could tell.

I saw a review of a recently published book titled "Free for All: Oddballs, Geeks, and Gangstas in the Public Library" by Don Borchert. I have not read it yet, but I might.

Has there ever been an attempt on TOTV to start a thread of book recommendations? -not anything as elaborate as book discussions, but something with recommendations here and there, with maybe just a blurb to go with the rec.

-just wondering and I thought you would be the one to ask.

Boomer

l2ridehd
02-05-2008, 02:28 AM
I read way to much. About or more then 100 books a year. Better then television, can do anywhere, and usually the book is better then the movie.

I have a cat who hears voices. He will be laying around quiet as a mouse. All of a sudden he will jump 2 feet in the air and take off like his butt is on fire. Runs around the house 90 miles an hour, then settles back down. Has to be the voices.

zcaveman
02-05-2008, 02:34 AM
As mentioned in an earlier post, the Subject is how many books do you read a week but the poll asks how many books do you read a year. Based on that I read 1/2 of a book a week but about 25-30 a year - and I also have two books going a time depending on the library turnaround.

Taltarzac
02-05-2008, 03:37 AM
Is question How many per week or per year? I thought was per week, then graph showed per year.

Right, it is per year. I modified the question after some insightful input. ;D

Taltarzac
02-05-2008, 03:38 AM
As mentioned in an earlier post, the Subject is how many books do you read a week but the poll asks how many books do you read a year. Based on that I read 1/2 of a book a week but about 25-30 a year - and I also have two books going a time depending on the library turnaround.

Per year. ;D

zcaveman
02-05-2008, 03:43 AM
Is it possible to change the Subject to read year instead of week. You might get more takers.

I checked the post because I wanted to see who read how many books a week. I know that I can do one a day if I really put my mind to it but would I enjoy it? I don't think so. You need to read so much and put the book aside and think about what you read. Since I do mostly mystery fiction, my time is spent trying to decide who done it.

Taltarzac
02-05-2008, 03:52 AM
Is it possible to change the Subject to read year instead of week. You might get more takers.

I checked the post because I wanted to see who read how many books a week. I know that I can do one a day if I really put my mind to it but would I enjoy it? I don't think so. You need to read so much and put the book aside and think about what you read. Since I do mostly mystery fiction, my time is spent trying to decide who done it.

I changed it at the original post to read "year" rather than "week". Thanks.

chuckinca
02-05-2008, 03:57 AM
I changed it at the original post to read "year" rather than "week". Thanks.

Tal:

You need to make zero a separate answer - I don't want to be counted in with the people who read 1 or 2; people might think I spend all my time in a library.

Taltarzac
02-05-2008, 03:58 AM
Tal,

I am too embarrassed to take part in your poll. I need a category that says, "Not enough. -Not even close." But your question did remind me how much I like to read.

I see from your posts that you are very connected to libraries. I know a couple of people who work in public libraries, and I think most of the book loving public would not believe some of the stories librarians could tell.

I saw a review of a recently published book titled "Free for All: Oddballs, Geeks, and Gangstas in the Public Library" by Don Borchert. I have not read it yet, but I might.

Has there ever been an attempt on TOTV to start a thread of book recommendations? -not anything as elaborate as book discussions, but something with recommendations here and there, with maybe just a blurb to go with the rec.

-just wondering and I thought you would be the one to ask.

Boomer

Agree with you there. All kinds of characters are in public librarianship. You get the good, the bad, and the ugly (in spirit). Law librarianship is a lot worse as many of the people in that profession are also lawyers or at least have law degrees.

I have not noticed any large thread on recommended books even though smaller postings have showed up. I started one a ways back. https://www.talkofthevillages.com/smf/index.php/topic,1806.0.html

Taltarzac
02-05-2008, 03:59 AM
Tal:

You need to make zero a separate answer - I don't want to be counted in with the people who read 1 or 2; people might think I spend all my time in a library.

That's funny. :bigthumbsup:

chuckinca
02-05-2008, 04:10 AM
And speaking of Libraries - - -

I went to HS with two brothers who's father was a prof of library science at Univ of Chicago.
Talk about weird kids! They used to play poker at their house with a bunch of their geek friends and at each bet they would bet in a different language - and not just saying numbers either.

About 15 years later I ran into the older one in the unemployment line. He said he was working on his 3rd PhD.

Muncle
02-05-2008, 04:41 AM
"You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me."

About these voices? Are people attached to them? Once had a fellow student at the U of Denver Graduate School of Librarianship and Information Management who always demanded an extra seat for her invisible friend. I just see numbers in weird places and think they may mean something. Who knows?

No, I don't see invisible people. I just . . . what . . . wait a sec . . . she says she sees invisible people all the time but cannot identify them because they are invisible. But I wouldn't put too much faith in that. My voices have been known to lie a bit, especially this one. Truth? Who can't handle the truth? I once had an invisible friend who was actually a pooka, a 6 foot rabbit. No, wait. That wasn't me. It was Jimmy Stewart. I gotta go now. Nurse Ratched is here with my pills. :yikes:

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Boomer
02-05-2008, 04:50 AM
Tal,

The book I saw the review of, "Free For All: Oddballs, Geeks, and Gangstas in the Public Library " was not about the librarians, it was about the patrons. - tales told by a librarian about adventures on the job. They don't call it the public library for nothing. :)

Boomer

punkpup
02-05-2008, 11:48 AM
I used to read a lot more than I do these days. I seem to do way too much reading on my computer. Was a time I was always clutching a book in my hands now they are mostly in stacks hanging around my house. I seem to be reading these forums, The Villages Daily Sun which we have delivered to us here in MA most of the time. Every vehicle I use has books and magazines in it...... you never know when you might have to be hanging around somewhere. If I don't have my computer with me and/or get tired of using my phone to participate in forums or play games then for sure I'm reading something. lol

Taltarzac
02-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Tal,

The book I saw the review of, "Free For All: Oddballs, Geeks, and Gangstas in the Public Library " was not about the librarians, it was about the patrons. - tales told by a librarian about adventures on the job. They don't call it the public library for nothing. :)

Boomer

Some of the patrons can be very strange. Once had a female stalker for nearly a year while I was at the University of MN Law Library. Previously to me, she had chained herself to a U of MN professor's desk to show her resolve. With me, she just stared at me for hours at end while doing absolutely nothing but look busy right in front of the reference desk. What could we do? She still had rights and this was a public university's law library.

Boomer
02-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Tal,

You could probably have written this book.

I know a public librarian who broke up a fight between two loser women fighting over a loser man. Mild-mannered librarian that she is, she jumped into it and used a really loud voice to yell, "Stop." -a voice she did not even know could come out of her. They stopped. I shudder to think what might have happened had they not.

The circulation desk librarians are open to the most stressful days of all, I think. There are members of the public who can become really rude over their fines. Rudeness and foul language does not necessarily come from the usual suspects. When faced with a fine, there are a few soccer moms who can cut loose like you would not believe.

I think those library schools may need to add a course that qualifies librarians as bouncers.

Oh, and btw, about the book recs.: Do you think it could work here if the book recommendations were organized by the month? That might keep them to be more accessible. Such an idea could fizzle or it could fly. But it might be worth a try.

Oh, poor Tal, I think I am assigning you projects. I think I need to go back to work. NOT.

Boomer

Taltarzac
02-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Tal,

You could probably have written this book.

I know a public librarian who broke up a fight between two loser women fighting over a loser man. Mild-mannered librarian that she is, she jumped into it and used a really loud voice to yell, "Stop." -a voice she did not even know could come out of her. They stopped. I shudder to think what might have happened had they not.

The circulation desk librarians are open to the most stressful days of all, I think. There are members of the public who can become really rude over their fines. Rudeness and foul language does not necessarily come from the usual suspects. When faced with a fine, there are a few soccer moms who can cut loose like you would not believe.

I think those library schools may need to add a course that qualifies librarians as bouncers.

Oh, and btw, about the book recs.: Do you think it could work here if the book recommendations were organized by the month? That might keep them to be more accessible. Such an idea could fizzle or it could fly. But it might be worth a try.

Oh, poor Tal, I think I am assigning you projects. I think I need to go back to work. NOT.

Boomer

Good idea about having a new book recommendation string every month. :agree:

As far as behavior is concerned in public libraries. Some public library directors could give JR Ewing, Jr. from Dallas a run for his money.