PDA

View Full Version : Curious electric Club Car starting problem

SemiMike
06-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Frank, as you may recall, we have a year old reman from you that we have been very happy with (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/outstanding-work-sta-rite-carts-80419/).

I went out earlier today to start the cart after it had been standing for 4 days, which for us is a very long time. It was hooked up to a Battery Minder we had professionally installed a few months ago, and which we have not had any problem with. Turned the key and switched into reverse - and nothing, not even the back-up buzzer. Pressed the pedal a couple times, and switched between forward-neutral-reverse, and the buzzer did come on, but still no movement (gauge confirmed a full charge).

I tried a few things over the next 5 minutes, combinations of turning the key and the direction switch and pedal, but no movement. Finally, just to do something different, I released the brake and manually pushed the car forward about a foot - and it then started right up! Have since had it on and off several times today, with no further problems at all.

Is is possible for some electrical dead spot to develop on standing, that I released by moving the cart in this way? Have you ever seen anything like this? Thanks.

Frank7
06-13-2014, 04:38 PM
With the rain and dampness we have had for a while it could be a few things.
It could be dampness on motor communicator causing no connection, movement could have made the brushes move to new location and thus allowing the cart to work fine.
It could also be the F&R switch being damp. Now that it is working again see if the motor is more than warm to the touch after a ride of a few miles, let me know the results and be careful, it could be hot.

SemiMike
06-14-2014, 09:23 AM
Frank, thanks for the fast reply! I followed your suggestion, and took the cart out for a 3 mile drive this morning. (It started up perfectly normally.) When done, the motor casing (it is that light gray cylindrical unit on the rear axle, yes?) was a little warm, but nothing more. So whatever the odd cause of the original problem, at least I know what to do if it ever happens in the future. Thanks again!

Frank7
06-14-2014, 02:24 PM
As always, glad to help.