PDA

View Full Version : Heels to Die For

redwitch
02-10-2008, 11:35 AM
I know we all have a favorite pair of **** me shoes. Describe yours.

Mine are a black, 4" heel. They have a strap that goes around the heel to the outside of the foot, another strap over the toes and a thinner strap cross the top of the foot. I feel so feminine when I wear these shoes. My nice, long stride becomes shorter, the hips sway, the smile gets softer. I LOVE those shoes.

jadebox
02-10-2008, 12:53 PM
A man invented high heels so let them wear them. ;D

redwitch
02-10-2008, 01:18 PM
LOL ... I like heels. They're actually more comfortable to me than most flats.

Talk Host
02-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Be caeful girls!!!!!

redwitch
02-10-2008, 04:24 PM
:chillout: Jan

Hyacinth Bucket
02-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Red, men used to wear heels, but not the high spike kind.

I think it would be great if you wore your high heels to visit Avista. I am sure she will appreciate it.

When my hubby does your hair, you can wear your heels and fancy fish net stockings, if you have them.

This is a true story, you can't make this one up. My husband after seeing his Oncologist for the first time, first thing he said about her - wears spikes with fancy stockings. Obviously they made a definite impression on him.

HB

another Linda
02-11-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm afraid I've finally crossed the line. Last summer for the wedding of one of my sons, I had a choice between 2 pairs of heels. Either pair would have been fine. One pair was strappy, sexy, wonderful ... and not so comfortable. The other pair was okay, little chunkier heel, still a sandal but not what you would call strappy, and comfortable. Guess which pair I chose? Sigh. 2 years ago I never would have gone for comfort over wonderful.

Avista
02-12-2008, 12:00 PM
A couple of years ago I had Plantar Facitis. (sp) For those of you who have never had it, it is a terrible foot pain. It was weeks before it disappeared. I never want it again, and from that time forward have not worn high heels.

Anyone else out there had this condition.

Mintjulep
02-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Yes, I had that heel spur thing for over a year...
Had a few cortizone shots in my heel (which really didn't help) and the shots hurt like the devil. And did all those foot exercises with the towel and on the stairs...
But it finally just went away, thank goodness!!!
Never want that again!!!
And pretty much quit wearing heels after that also. Tho I love the look of them.
But,,, Comfort became KING!!

samhass
02-13-2008, 12:41 AM
Yes Avista. I feel your pain. It's Birkenstocks for me.

renielarson
02-13-2008, 12:59 AM
I am very fashion conscious about matching my shoes to my clothes...soooooo....I have a pair of brown Birkenstocks, black Birkenstocks, and white Birkenstocks...

Barefoot
02-13-2008, 01:10 AM
A couple of years ago I had Plantar Facitis. (sp) For those of you who have never had it, it is a terrible foot pain. It was weeks before it disappeared. I never want it again, and from that time forward have not worn high heels. Anyone else out there had this condition.

Avista, I've had plantar facitis (from exercising too much!!). It lasted for months, not weeks! Very painful. See girls, exercise can be baaaaaaad.

No more 3 inch heels for me, I make sure to wear something always with arch support.
Boring I know, but necessary. But the good news is that you can get arch supports for dressy sandals with heels. ;D

nONIE
02-13-2008, 01:23 AM
Dont go to the Webster flea market if you have a heel spur. I walked for 3 hours , looked at nothing but junk and am now in agony. HELP!!! anyone have areally quick remedy for this condition??, Im going to try a jazz class tomorrow and Im afraid I wont be having very much fun with all this pain. Mabe Ill brush up on my ballet and stay on my toes tomorrow! OUCH! doh

nONIE
02-13-2008, 02:15 AM
Thankyou Barb,

It was definitely not worth all the walking. Guess I kept hoping things would get better, they couldnt get much worse!!

Think Ill stick to Markets of Marion.

Hyacinth Bucket
02-13-2008, 03:07 AM
plantar facitis I had two cortisone shots. They worked like a miracle.

HB

samhass
02-13-2008, 04:07 AM
Thanks for the tip about Webster. Now I won't waste my time getting dust on my Birks in that location.

punkpup
02-13-2008, 05:54 AM
:yikes: YEEEOWCH!!! :yikes:

Oh my aching feet!!! I have had problems with my feet all my life! Bunions, Arthritis, Flat feet and over the past 20 years several nasty, painful bouts of Plantar Fasciitis in both feet :'( :'( :'(

As a matter of fact I have been experiencing pain in my right foot lately as a result of plantar fasciitis. Time for some Physical Therapy.

In 1998 I had physical therapy for six weeks which worked incredibly well. Once a week I received Iontophoresis, learned where to apply pressure to specific points on my feet, stretch and roll a tennis ball under my feet. The most important thing for me is wearing shoes with adequate arch support so heels of any type are totally out of the question! I stick to Birkenstocks and now Crocs. I spent Sunday afternoon walking around at a trade show on hard concrete flooring without pain because of my Crocs but as soon as I have to put on my heavy, steel toed work boots I'm in trouble again.

For those unfamiliar with it, here is the definition of Iontophoesis:
The use of electric current to deliver medication through the skin. Typically, prescription steroidal anti-inflammatory or analgesics drugs are used. Medication is delivered directly to the area of injury in an attempt to control pain and inflammation. The problems that oral and/or injectable medication can cause are eliminated.

www.itcpharmacy.com/podiatry_iontophoresis.php
www.plantar-fasciitis.org

Just Susan
02-17-2008, 04:16 AM
I am afraid I have to join the plantar fasciitis club too. A lifetime of high heels could be the cause, but I do love them. I used to even wear them camping and trekking in the mountains. Crazy yes, but I managed as well as those who wore those ugly hiking boots. I am not exactly the outdoors type anyway. Too far from all the nice concrete and I start to get nervous...all that green stuff, it just looks the same to me.
Now I wear lower heels, but heels none the less it seems that I have shortened muscles in my legs that even yoga can't elongate. I'm with Red. Give me heels.

ConeyIsBabe
02-17-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm a faithful member of the Birkenstock Club, have about 7 pairs of sandals and can't wear any other shoes comfortably. Good Grief - If I ever had a formal event to attend I'd have to go out and buy a pair of shoes but I don't think I can wear closed shoes anymore. Even in the Oregon winters, I wear my Birks with wool socks. When it's freezing and snowy I do wear fur-lined boots but don't walk as well as in my good old Birki's!

jerseygirl008
02-19-2008, 03:39 AM
Okay ladies: I didn't even finish reading to the last post. Had to stop and post this little tid bit. Since I am a nurse . . . and since I have had PLANTAR FASCIITIS, that is "inflammation of the fascia, I can chime in here. First, the fascia goes from the heel all the way to the ball of your foot. If, for any reason, that becomes inflammed, here's what you do. (This fascia is attached to your heel and ball of your foot like a piece of chicken skin to a chicken thigh, if you get my drift.

1. Wear small heels, not flat shoes. Lifting up your heels takes the pressure off and allows the fascia to stretch with each step.
2. ICE, ICE, ICE !! And when you are done, STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH.
3. Take Aleve, 2 tabs at breakfast and dinner (must be with food) for at least 2 weeks. This will help reduce the inflammation so the stretches are less painful.
4. When, and you know this happens to you, you get out of bed at night or first thing in the morning, DO NOT LET YOUR FEET TOUCH THE FLOOR before you point and flex, point and flex, do leg lifts (little ones) and leg bends in bed to get the circulation going to your feet. Otherwise, you will be hobbling all the way to the bathroom in terrible pain.
5. If you really have pain in the a.m. when you awake, you may need to see an orthopedic and get a night splint for your foot. When we sleep, the foot collapses (stretches forward) and causes pain. A splint keeps your foot flexed so this is prevented. I needed a splint and wore it for 6 mths. My PF occurred during nursing school when I was a student AND worked f/t and cared for 4 kids, a house, a husband, a life. On my feet too much.

So, Red, heels (small ones that lift your heel just a bit) are therapeutic for heel pain sufferers.

Hope this helps someone.

nONIE
02-19-2008, 04:01 AM
Jerseygirl,

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou.

Your good sound advice is greatly appreciated. I will start your recommended therapy immediately.

Had 2 cortisone shots recently but did not help much. At this point, Ill try anything.

Do these darn things ever just go away by themselves? :dontknow:

jerseygirl008
02-19-2008, 10:15 AM
CIB, I love Birk's also. Sometimes they bother my feet if I wear them too long cuz of the flatness. I do need little heel once in a while.

Nonie: Think heel spurs are different in that the fascia isn't affected as badly. You have a "spur", a little growth of bone projecting off the calcaneous (heel bone). I thought that's what I had back then. They are formed from friction, like a callous, only bone juts out, little knob-like projections. Gross. BUT, far as I know, the treatment is the same as if you had PF. Cortisone should help but many times only briefly. Exercise to stretch the fascia around the heel spur, ice to decrease inflammation, Aleve is like a miracle drug for these two conditions, and stretch like crazy to get the blood circulating in that area. Stop during the day and stretch, stretch in the grocery line, while riding in the car, while swimming - always point and flex, rotate ankle, it's the best. I bet if you do these things consistently for a few weeks, you will be out of pain totally. Then, just continue the stretching of your foot/calf muscles throughout the day. Another great stretch is to assume a wide stance, about 12 inches from a wall, then lean into the wall, keeping both feet flat on the floor. Hurts at first. Also, bend down and reach your toe, opposite knee bent, toe pointing up to ceiling, heel on floor. That'll get ya screaming at first. Hope that helps.

nONIE
02-20-2008, 04:58 AM
Jerseygirl,

Once again a huge thankyou for the wonderful advice! Started stretching and icing and Im feeling much better already. Its like a miracle!!! Who needs a podiatrist when we have you???

jerseygirl008
02-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Nonie: So glad to hear your heel is better. Keep up the good work. Don't stop taking care of it for at least a few weeks. Once it feels better consistently, for a few weeks, you can do "maintenance" therapy on it. May have to pick it up again for a few week time period if it flares up but, it's a small price to pay (compared to podiatrists, orthopedic docs, physical therapy, etc). You can do your own PT, at your convenience. Great news. Glad I could help, only because I have done all the field work when I suffered, very badly, with that.

marianne237
02-27-2008, 02:48 PM
I have PF also and sure appreciate the help and advice on this string. But I have the hardest time finding shoes I can wear with any comfort all day long. Did get crocs (from Bealls) as foot doctors office staff suggested but found them too loose and uncomfortable. When shopping at Ace Hardware, I found their gardening shoe...very similar to crocs and much cheaper (around $15). These have helped my foot pain quite a bit and they're more comfortable than the crocs.

Will Birkenstocks help with the PF? I wear MBT's on occasion (much too heavy a shoe) and New Balance.

Thanks for the advice on the exercises. Have been using ice often, but not told to stretch and flex my foot....so will get with it! You've given me new hope that I can get rid of this pain on my own!!! :)

samhass
02-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Marianne, the Birks saved me.

Barefoot
02-27-2008, 05:20 PM
I have PF also and sure appreciate the help and advice on this string.
Will Birkenstocks help with the PF? :)

When I had PF, I was told by my podiatrist to always wear a bit of a heel and to avoid Birks as they have a negative heel. I know some people love them. But I almost always wear orthodics, even in dress sandals, and shoes with a slight heel.

Stretching is the most important part, I stand on the ball of my foot on a stair backwards (holding on of course) and stretch my heel downwards. And you should always stretch your foot before you get out of bed in the morning (I use an elastic band).

Good luck, it takes a while to get back to "normal", but you will!!

jerseygirl008
03-13-2008, 04:44 AM
BF: IMHO, I agree with you, Birk's are no good if you have PF. In my experience, a little heel gives enough lift to take the pressure off the fascia. When I wear a flat - like flip flops - I'm in agony quickly. Especially if I'm out all day in flats. So, to me, that's proof that the heel theory is valid. Also, I change up my shoes alot, never wearing the same shoes day in and day out. Also buy new Nikes every 6 mths. as they break down quickly,depending on how much you wear them and how hard you are on your shoes (walking 2 blocks v. 2 mi. per day). Hope everybody's foot pain is on the mend.

samhass
03-13-2008, 02:09 PM
I think that's the point about the Birks. Your foot is in that gentle stretch all day with the negative heel. They sure worked for me. Our feet are all different, though, so whatever does it for you is what you should be wearing. Just get better. PF is a pain.

Avista
03-13-2008, 04:53 PM
When I had PF, Birks were the only shoe that feel OK on my feet. Interesting how we all have a different take on this.

redwitch
03-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Boy, am I glad I don't have many feet problems. Maybe it's cause my choices were nearly always bare feet or heels?

KathieI
03-14-2008, 12:29 AM
I know we all have a favorite pair of **** me shoes.

Shoes??? I was focusing above the waist. Duh!!

Barefoot
03-14-2008, 01:04 AM
I have a brand new pair of size 7 birks, really cute, denim colour, that I can't wear. Anyone interested?

samhass
03-14-2008, 03:52 AM
I would be if I didn't need a size 41. Will they stretch a few inches?????? 8)

jerseygirl008
03-14-2008, 04:22 AM
I agree Sam, whatever feels good, wear it. Whatever feels good, just do it. DID I SAY THAT?

Boomer
03-15-2008, 02:02 AM
It has been a long time since I have looked at this thread. I did not know that we were talking about our poor feet. There is some really good advice here.

I have what may really be a dumb question. -- Are there golf shoes that have no backs?

I have not played golf for quite awhile, and I plan to start again - awful though I am. I have resurrected the golf clubs from the basement, but I have not looked for golf shoes.

When I played a long time ago, I did not have Achilles tendonitis. Now I do and it has been more than two years since I have worn shoes with backs. Thank goodness for New Balance 801's, Clarks, slides, and even a clog or two.

I do the stretches and the Achilles tendonitis does not hurt anymore, but I will never get back the correct angle or whatever it is supposed to be. The podiatrist described the condition with a word that had 'equine' as its root, and I thought he meant that I walk like a horse. He didn't mean that. - well, not exactly.

Anyway, he told me not to wear shoes with backs - ever - if I can help it. So other than boots, I am doing OK. I do tend to stockpile backless shoes though. I am afraid they will go out of style and I won't be able to find them anywhere.

I think I have things pretty well covered for all occasions except for the golf course. Does anybody know if the golf shoes of my dreams exist?

Boomer

villages07
03-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Boomer,

Not sure specifically about backless shoes....but, I wear golf sandals (wide feet and bunions, so needed 'adjustable' shoes). They are very open .... a velcro strap at the base of the toes and another over the ankle, with a fixed strap behind the achilles. They are very comfy. Got 'em at one of the golf tent sales for $30. Might be worth a look.

Boomer
03-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Boomer,

Not sure specifically about backless shoes....but, I wear golf sandals (wide feet and bunions, so needed 'adjustable' shoes). They are very open .... a velcro strap at the base of the toes and another over the ankle, with a fixed strap behind the achilles. They are very comfy. Got 'em at one of the golf tent sales for $30. Might be worth a look.

Thank you. When our feet hurt, we hurt all over.

I am not sure if a strap over the Achilles would work. It might. The podiatrist's theory was that shoe backs put the Achilles under constant assault. I saw the x-ray. There is some kind of pokey looking thing and the bone has made a little shelf. I guess this is what irritates and inflames the tendon and then the shoe backs keep pounding it. By not wearing shoes with backs and doing stretches, I have kept it under control for a long time.

I really have to wonder if shoes with no backs would allow enough stability to swing.

Not that I can swing worth a darn anyway.

My dad always tells me, "Drive for show. Putt for dough."

Maybe I need to just concentrate on putting and give up on the dream of the truly glorious drive. I never could do it anyway. I think maybe just once or twice.

I live near a golf course that gives lessons. It has been a long, long time. I am going to sign up for lessons again. I hope they have a remedial class. For the lessons, I can wear my backless New Balance 801's that I put my orthotics inside and see how they work. If they do, surely somebody has made a backless golf shoe. But If not, I will try the strap. It might just work because a strap is not going to go bump bump all the time against the Achilles.

LisaJ
03-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Nonie-
Did your bone spur go away? I have suffered with PF for 2.4 years now and just found out I have developed a bone spur. If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear it. My stepson is getting married Saturday! Help!!!

novie2
03-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Oh how I wish I could wear those cute strappy sandals but its Birkis for me also.

6-7 years ago developed bone spur rt. foot and one developing on the left. Xray showed spur on underside of heel at faschia insertion site....caused from foot flattening down the arch and stretching the faschia.....my podiatrist said I could have cortisone shots but that would probably be temporary and painful or eventually surgery but first try a pair of birkenstocks and see if it helps as she herself had a spur and it helped her......it worked, took a few months and I don't know if the spurs are still there or not but have had no pain since.

Downside, burkis or walking shoes with high arch support are all I can wear now.

My first Birkis looked like the hippy shoes of the '70's ....but at least they are making them with a little more style now and more colors available.

LI SNOWBIRD
03-24-2011, 08:33 AM
I know we all have a favorite pair of **** me shoes. Describe yours.

Mine are a black, 4" heel. They have a strap that goes around the heel to the outside of the foot, another strap over the toes and a thinner strap cross the top of the foot. I feel so feminine when I wear these shoes. My nice, long stride becomes shorter, the hips sway, the smile gets softer. I LOVE those shoes.
The ladies may want to try these shoes-- they look fun:

Jhooman
03-24-2011, 10:29 AM
I remember when I was younger, a professional and had to look the part, I had high-heels that matched every outfit. I would not leave the house unless I was dressed and heeled. So much effort was put into this charade.

Fast forward 15 years, my feet started to hurt, I hurt, the heels began to go lower and lower. Visits to the podiatrist, severe PF, injections, foot surgery and finally, sadly and reluctantly I gave away my heels. Dang I loved how I looked in these heels, I felt tall, slender and sexy. Of course I'm a bit delusional, but hey it's all about how I feel as a woman.

I hated the way berks looked, but I discovered Miphisto sandals, they are cute, have some bling and my feet feel wonderful. I walk the golf courses here in California with orthotics that have a serious pad, as we get older our feet pads grow thinner. I also love cute golf shoes with bling too. Adidas makes some cute shoes that offer support to my fragile feet.

My kid makes fun of my shoes, but I'm pain free and in my mind I'm still that hot babe.

runnermi
03-24-2011, 12:29 PM
I remember when I was younger, a professional and had to look the part, I had high-heels that matched every outfit. I would not leave the house unless I was dressed and heeled. So much effort was put into this charade.

ME TOO! I still have my CFMP's though. I cannot bear to part with them. Every color under the sun but since work went 100% casual and I wear jeans every day, I have stopped wearing them.

My favorite, favorite pair is a pair of high heeled fire engine red boots. I love those things even if my feet don't.

PR1234
03-24-2011, 12:41 PM
CFMP's....LOL haven't heard that one in awhile!!!!

katezbox
03-24-2011, 01:31 PM
I still lust for a pair of Christian Louboutins.... Mais oui!

jojo
04-03-2011, 07:49 PM
I know I'll say "of course" when I see it but what are CFMPs?

katezbox
04-03-2011, 07:51 PM
I know I'll say "of course" when I see it but what are CFMPs?

Come F*** Me Pumps!

bkcunningham1
04-03-2011, 08:51 PM
How did I miss this thread? Red, you are a bbbaadddd girl!

I hope I'm allowed to say this. I call mine my hooker shoes. My favorite have the ribbon that ties up and criss-crosses from the ankle to about mid-calf. They use to look so good on. Now they are cute in the closet.

KatzPajamas
05-14-2011, 07:18 AM
I remember when I was younger, a professional and had to look the part, I had high-heels that matched every outfit. I would not leave the house unless I was dressed and heeled. So much effort was put into this charade.

Fast forward 15 years, my feet started to hurt, I hurt, the heels began to go lower and lower. Visits to the podiatrist, severe PF, injections, foot surgery and finally, sadly and reluctantly I gave away my heels. Dang I loved how I looked in these heels, I felt tall, slender and sexy. Of course I'm a bit delusional, but hey it's all about how I feel as a woman.

I hated the way berks looked, but I discovered Miphisto sandals, they are cute, have some bling and my feet feel wonderful. I walk the golf courses here in California with orthotics that have a serious pad, as we get older our feet pads grow thinner. I also love cute golf shoes with bling too. Adidas makes some cute shoes that offer support to my fragile feet.

My kid makes fun of my shoes, but I'm pain free and in my mind I'm still that hot babe.

Never wore heels until my career took a new turn. Started wearing them at 50 and found them to be comfortable and lovely. Didn't take long tho until the plantar fascitis began in full force. I am now back to my "sensible shoes" as my previous boss called the flat functional shoes. Now hoping to recover my childlike feet that I had prior to the heel era of my life. OUCH:eek:

ladydoc
05-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Heels? OMG..HEELS???? LOL I have not worn heels for 25 years. Being 5'8" made heels sort of redundant anyway. Hated them my entire life. Who comes up with these things? I am grateful that I can get out of bed and kind of walk, most days. If you can wear them, more power to you, enjoy! !

silvertoken
05-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Being a guy I could never understand how you women could wear such things until now. I guess you have to start out young, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUldCr43T-s

oceangirl
05-16-2011, 06:15 PM
Come F*** Me Pumps!

I can't stop laughing:pepper2:

flamingo
05-16-2011, 07:01 PM
:girlneener:What a riot!!!! How did she keep from falling? So cute!!!
My foot problems didn't start until middle age--after years of heels and lots of dancing in them. It started with plantar fascitis and progressed to a ruptured tendon and a surgical tendon "transfer". Eight weeks off the foot and more weeks in the surgical "boot". Now I wear Danskos and Propet Lifewalkers. Just happy to be on my feet.

shcisamax
11-17-2012, 03:04 PM
I am surprised that with all this going on no one has mentioned bunions which I always thought was the number one reason people ended up in Birkenstocks.
BTW: With all the above foot issues, are there any great foot doctors in TV? Always looking for great recommendations.

Patty55
11-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Being a guy I could never understand how you women could wear such things until now. I guess you have to start out young, High heels are stylish and very funny ! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUldCr43T-s)

We wore them because they worked-LOL.

Suzi
11-18-2012, 02:32 AM
My PF was so bad I resorted to walking on my toes just so my heels wouldn't touch the ground. Got a very supportive walking shoe with good arch supports and never stepped on my feet without them for about 3 months. I have now graduated to "Orthaheels" shoes. They look pretty nice - they have shoes and sandals and now I can wear them 18 hours a day without provoking the PF. They have such supportive arches, I have now purchased the slippers which are fantastic. No more going barefoot - but I still want to look cute.....berkies look too old fashioned to me. Not ready for that. Try Orthaheels!

dotti105
08-11-2013, 03:17 AM
I am surprised that no one has mentioned Danskos.
They are the shoe of choice for RNs. They make a clog that you will see on almost any nurse you pass in a hospital. We are on our feet 12 hrs a day, often and shoes are more than a fashion statement.
Danskos are from Sweden (as I recall) An American couple found them, loved them and bought the company. They are not cheap. But they are fantastic.
Now, they have a stiff sole, high arch and not for those with plantar faschitis. But if you need arch support and a ergonomic shoe they are great!!!!
The have a 2 inch heel, being a clog. But they also make lots of cuter shoes. I have great 3" heel boots that I wear here all winter. I get tons of compliments on them, and seriously I can wear them all day...so comfortable.
Also.....BORN shoes. from Germany I believe. Also not cheap, but I can wear their 3" sandals from the time I wake up until I climb into bed. They are very well designed for comfort and that is what you are paying for. Worth every penny in my book.
I am on my feet far too often to be uncomfortable or to damage my feet. I will pay the $$ for shoes that will be ergonomically good for me. I figure I will save money and agony too in the long run;.
The Born sandals are pretty sexy too, I must say. I would never spend the money on the designer shoes but I will gladly plunk down big buck for shoes that will be nothing but a pleasure to wear!

westcoastsunshine
08-21-2013, 11:36 AM
I love high heels when I am going out but otherwise it is Fit Flops for me.
My favourite pair of high heels is a clear plastic made by Stuart Weintzman.
I have had them for probably twenty years. Sometimes I just take my
'Cinderella' shoes out and look at them because they are so pretty....
Wonderful memories associated with those shoes...

WS