PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Hollywood?

JohnnyM
02-18-2008, 04:34 PM
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE WW II MOVIE STARS

Some of you younger guys (grandkids) probably have not even heard of these 'old movie stars'...some contrast between these men and the anti-American movie stars of today.

Hope you find this as informative and interesting as I did.?

In contrast to the ideals, opinions and feelings of today's 'Hollywonk,' the real actors of yester-year loved the United States. They had both class and integrity.
With the advent of World War II many of our actors went to fight rather than stand and rant against this country we all love.

They gave up their wealth, position and fame to become service men & women, many as simple 'enlisted men'.

This page lists but a few, but from this group of only 18 men came over 70 medals in honor of their valor, spanning from Bronze Stars, Silver Stars, Distinguish Service Cross', Purple Hearts and one Congressional Medal of Honor.

So remember; while the 'Entertainers of 2005-2006' have been in all of the news media lately I would like to remind the people of what the entertainers of 1943 were doing, (61 years ago).

Most of these brave men have since passed on.

'Real Hollywood Heroes'

Alec Guinness (Star Wars) operated a British Royal Navy landing craft on D-Day.

James Doohan ('Scotty' on Star Trek) landed in Normandy with the U. S. Army on D-Day.

Donald Pleasance (The Great Escape) really was an R. A. F. pilot who was shot down, held prisoner and tortured by the Germans.

David Niven was a Sandhurst graduate and Lt. Colonel of the British Commandos in Normandy.

James Stewart Entered the Army Air Force as a private and worked his way to the rank of Colonel. During World War II, Stewart served as a bomber pilot, his service record crediting him with leading more than 20 missions over Germany, and taking part in hundreds of air strikes during his tour of duty.
Stewart earned the Air Medal, the Distinguished Flying Cross, France's Croix de Guerre, and 7 Battle Stars during World War II. In peace time, Stewart continued to be an active member of the Air Force as a reservist, reaching the rank of Brigadier General before retiring in the late 1950s.

Clark Gable (Mega-Movie Star when war broke out)
Although he was beyond the draft age at the time the U.S. entered WW II, Clark Gable enlisted as a private in the AAF on Aug. 12, 1942 at Los Angeles.
He attended the Officers' Candidate School at
Miami Beach, Fla. and graduated as a second lieutenant on Oct. 28, 1942.
He then attended aerial gunnery school and in Feb. 1943 he was assigned to the 351st Bomb Group at Polebrook where flew operational missions over Europe in B-17s.
Capt. Gable returned to the U.S. in Oct. 1943 and was relieved from active duty as a major on Jun. 12, 1944 at his own request, since he was over-age for combat.

Charlton Heston was an Army Air Corps Sergeant in Kodiak.

Ernest Borgnine was a U. S. Navy Gunners Mate 1935-1945.

Charles Durning was a U. S. Army Ranger at Normandy
earning a Silver Star and awarded the Purple Heart.

Charles Bronson was a tail gunner in the Army Air Corps, more
specifically on B-29's in the 20th Air Force out of Guam, Tinian, and Saipan

George C. Scott was a decorated U. S. Marine.

Eddie Albert (Green Acres TV) was awarded a Bronze Star for his heroic action as a U. S. Naval officer aiding Marines at the horrific battle on the island of Tarawa in the Pacific Nov. 1943.

Brian Keith served as a US. Marine rear gunner in several actions against the
Japanese on Rabal in the Pacific.

Lee Marvin was a U.S. Marine on Saipan during the Marianas campaign when he was
wounded earning the Purple Heart.

John Russell: In 1942, he enlisted in the Marine Corps where he received a battlefield commission and was wounded and highly decorated for valor at Guadalcanal

Robert Ryan was a U. S. Marine who served with the O. S. S. in Yugoslavia.

Tyrone Power (an established movie star when Pearl Harbor was bombed) joined the
U.S. Marines, was a pilot flying supplies into, and wounded Marines out of, Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

Audie Murphy, little 5'5' tall 110 pound guy from Texas who played cowboy parts:
Most Decorated serviceman of WWII and earned: Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, 2 Silver Star Medals, Legion of Merit, 2 Bronze Star Medals with 'V', 2 Purple Hearts, U.S. Army Outstanding Civilian Service Medal, Good Conduct Medal, 2 Distinguished Unit Emblems, American Campaign Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with One Silver Star, Four Bronze Service Stars (representing nine campaigns) and one Bronze Arrowhead (representing assault landing at Sicily and Southern France) World War II Victory Medal Army of Occupation Medal with Germany Clasp, Armed Forces Reserve Medal, Combat Infantry Badge, Marksman Badge with Rifle Bar, Expert Badge with Bayonet Bar, French Fourragere in Colors of the Croix de Guerre, French Legion of Honor, Grade of Chevalier, French Croix de Guerre With Silver Star, French Croix de Guerre with Palm, Medal of Liberated France, Belgian Croix de Guerre 1940 Palm.

So how do you feel the real heroes of the silver screen acted when compared to the hollywonks today who spew out anti-American drivel as they bite the hand that feeds them?
Can you imagine these stars of yester-year saying they hate our flag, making anti-war speeches, marching in anti-American parades and saying they hate our president?

I thought not, neither did I!
If you enjoyed this bit of history, please pass it on.
JohnnyM

beady
02-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Unfortunately, today's Hollywood and the "stars" are living in the fantasy world they portray. I think it is totally irresponsible to use your "star power" to influence the politics and policies of this country. Famous people walk a fine line and I understand there inherent right to express their opinions but they must consider the influence they have over what I refer to as the "great unwashed" in this country.People who vote and agree with the "stars" because they are just that stars, not on any of the merits of the issues. I can't tell you how many people I have heard say they voted for a candidate because they were good looking or endorsed by a "star"
Example: Oprah is a powerful woman and her endorsement of Barack Obama is a perfect example of "star power. " We will have to see if her endorsement effects the outcome of the election. Personally, I think she should have worked for Obama in the background rather than using a public announcement.
Johnny is correct, with regard to the old hollywood personalities. They were patriotic americans, grateful for the opportunities that they were afforded by this country. Their fame and wealth was repayed in kind by willingly serving their country.

Taltarzac
02-18-2008, 06:43 PM
World War Two was a very different war though than the one in Iraq. Maybe it is more like the one in Afghanistan as there seems to be a strong connection between Bin Laden and the Taliban and the attacks on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon in 2001.

The numbers involved though in World War Two were staggering http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/timeline/statistics.htm when compared with the numbers of troops, enemy combatants, allies, etc. in the US in Iraq and Afghanistan war against terrorism.

The Axis powers in the Second World War also seemed to be an extremely real threat to the US Constitution and the ideals it is supposed to embody in the people of the United States.

Taltarzac
02-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Most of the 'stars' these days suffer from severe cases of narcissism. Service to them means serving themselves. Believe me if you saw them up close and personal, you'd think, holy cow, can't be ! Follywood !!! Fake. Money corrupts.

Oh yes, lest I be accused of calling names, Hugh Laurie (House) is really great looking guy and doesn't have an ego the size of Montana. I know there's a few other exceptions, just can't bring to mind at the moment.

Believe Hugh Laurie is English and has a pronounced accent when not acting?

I shared some e-mails with George Clooney back around March 2003 who did not seem big-headed at least he claimed to be "George Clooney". Jim Carrey also seemed to be a very interesting person from the interviews he has done.

Remember that Winona Ryder was doing quite a bit for the Polly Klaas Foundation and not flaunting it all that much at least before her trial.

Taltarzac
02-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi Tal:
Yes he is English. He speaks with an American accent flawlessly on the show. He spends alot of time in California. His disposition is nothing like his House character. Quite an interesting guy.

You should talk to KathieI about Hollywood people. Think her cousin was the late Anne Bancroft who was married to Mel Brooks.

Taltarzac
02-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Except for a chosen few, I wouldn't give you 2 cents for the whole lot.

Some of them get involved with worthy causes like stopping the atrocities in Darfur http://www.notonourwatchproject.org/, helping out people affected by Katrina, removing landmines http://blogs.britannica.com/blog/main/2007/08/celebrity-politics-political-celebrities/ , and maybe even helping me with pressuring libraries to improve their links for helping survivors of crimes on their web-pages.

Have had no luck so far with New York Public Library though as I have been trying to get a useful link here for at least a year-- http://www.nypl.org/research/sibl/law/. >:(

JohnnyM
02-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Tal, yes some of hollywood's finest are involved in many worthwhile projects. My problem with hollywood today is how they blame America for everything. They make hate speeches with Code Pink and other political groups that also hate our country.You don't have to like President Bush, but you should respect the United States. These people give comfort to the enemy (terrorists) by making movies like Redacted and badmouthing our President and country. Hanging out with Hugo Chavez is also popular with our so called hollywood hotshots. The man called our President the "devil". If you don't like the President you have the freedom to elect one every four years. In the meantime, be proud American's and promote American ideals. JohnnyM

Taltarzac
02-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Tal, yes some of hollywood's finest are involved in many worthwhile projects. My problem with hollywood today is how they blame America for everything. They make hate speeches with Code Pink and other political groups that also hate our country.You don't have to like President Bush, but you should respect the United States. These people give comfort to the enemy (terrorists) by making movies like Redacted and badmouthing our President and country. Hanging out with Hugo Chavez is also popular with our so called hollywood hotshots. The man called our President the "devil". If you don't like the President you have the freedom to elect one every four years. In the meantime, be proud American's and promote American ideals. JohnnyM

Hollywood is very liberal from what I hear so it kind of makes sense that various celebrities from there would be making remarks about President Bush and his administration. This may change somewhat if Senator Barack Obama gets elected President but then the Republican celebrities will then have their time to complain. On a brighter note, President Bush recently signed some legislation that should make a difference in the situation of child sexual abuse victims. http://writ.lp.findlaw.com/hamilton/20071227.html

JohnnyM
02-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Tal, Good first step by the President and better if they can roll back the statutes of limitations on child sex abuse so we can identify the perpetrators among us. Too many got away clean. Getting back to hollywood, yes I agree there are plenty of liberals and I would expect that they would harass a republican President mainly because they do not want censure of their film making and profits thereof. I'm talking about them dissing America, too!!! No excuse for that. JM

Taltarzac
02-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Tal, Good first step by the President and better if they can roll back the statutes of limitations on child sex abuse so we can identify the perpetrators among us. Too many got away clean. Getting back to hollywood, yes I agree there are plenty of liberals and I would expect that they would harass a republican President mainly because they do not want censure of their film making and profits thereof. I'm talking about them dissing America, too!!! No excuse for that. JM

It will be very interesting to see what happens with Hollywood and the censorship and other issues if a Democrat takes back the White House in 2009. The Clintons seemed to be quite cozy with Hollywood in the early nineties but then came the book Primary Colors along with later the movie of the same name. Those did not seem to portray the Clintons in a very nice light.

JohnnyM
02-21-2008, 10:08 PM
It will be very interesting to see what happens with Hollywood and the censorship and other issues if a Democrat takes back the White House in 2009. The Clintons seemed to be quite cozy with Hollywood in the early nineties but then came the book Primary Colors along with later the movie of the same name. Those did not seem to portray the Clintons in a very nice light.

I think the book came out in the late 90's and I think people were tired of Bill Clinton's shenanigans by then. I also think the book was written anonymously. You are right, if a dem gets in look out world. Forget about it. Anything would go in hollywood which it about does now anyway.

bsliny
02-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Johnnym Audie Muphy was not only the most decorated hero of ww2
He was the most decorated war hero in the history of the UNITES STATES

JohnnyM
02-21-2008, 10:27 PM
So right Bsliny, To Hell and Back should be played for every kid in High School just so they would learn what it meant to be a true American fighting for his men and his country!

jjdees
02-22-2008, 02:20 AM
A recent example is Sharon Stone's interview with Al Hayat, an Arab newspaper. Mideast terrorist leaders are thanking her and making hay for her dissing the US. Why would an American do this? These people are incredibly stupid. Another older example was Sean Penn visiting with Saddam Hussein. He asked Saddam if he was a bad guy and Saddam told him no, he's a good guy and Penn walked away smugly satisfied and the media ate it up. These people don't speak for me and they don't speak for my country.

JohnnyM
02-22-2008, 02:59 AM
So right jjdees, look at Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon, Penn and Baldwin; all great actors and actresses but have no clue about how to be an American. Danny Glover with Chavez, the list goes on. Back in the day, these people would have been black listed and maybe even called traitors. Look what they did to poor Lucille Ball. Put that in prospective with what these pinheads (O'Rielly word) are doing. America has become too complacant and full of apathy. I hope God steps in soon and puts our country back on track. Unfortunately I think it will take another 9-11 or greater to shock this country back to reality.

beartrack1
02-22-2008, 05:08 AM
Thank's Johnny,

Your posts on this topic are a pleasure to read. I'm an American first and foremost. When "The Greatest Generation" was called upon to serve their country they volunteered by the thousands, those that were drafted stepped up without complaint and were willing to risk their lives to protect ours. No one left for Canada or destinations outside of our country to avoid the military. The media had respect for our country and our fighting men and women, they didn't send back a body count every day, they didn't knock the war or our President. God bless the likes of Ernie Pyle and the real journalists of that era. Try comparing them to the biased liberal press that only reports the bad events concerning the war in Iraq. If the Liberal press have their way and they bring home our soldiers, we will have lost the war there. The end result will be a war here, on American soil. With a Hillary or a Barack in the Whitehouse, God help us. As far as our traitors in Hollywood are concerned, I have been carrying on my own private protest. I have been boycotting all the movies and television shows with them in it or directed by the likes of Oliver Stone, you know him, Hugo Chavez's friend. And the list goes on. I wish a lot more people would do the same, you soon would see how quiet they will all get.

JohnnyM
02-22-2008, 05:49 AM
Truthfully beartrack I also avoid shows or movies with the above mentioned characters. I feel it's my little way of getting back. I know it doesn't amount to a hill of beans as far as their being affected, but it makes me feel patriotic in a way to do it. If Obama or Clinton get in we are toast. Imagine flying to Iran to talk to a maniac that is killing your soldiers as you meet with him. I have nothing against democrats, but they just don't get it. Whether the war was right or wrong we are in it and we are in it to WIN. God bless our troops. As far as our next president, God help us!

Taltarzac
02-22-2008, 09:21 PM
I think the book came out in the late 90's and I think people were tired of Bill Clinton's shenanigans by then. I also think the book was written anonymously. You are right, if a dem gets in look out world. Forget about it. Anything would go in hollywood which it about does now anyway.

Am a Democrat by registration, JohnnyM. Not sure what kind of things Barack Obama-- the likely candidate on the Democratic side-- will want to do so I may end up voting for the Republicans in November. I would like to see some more meat on the bones of Barack Obama's positions before voting for him though and the same goes with exactly what the Republican candidate will do if elected.

Sort of liked it when Oprah Winfrey backed a candidate. She seems to deal with a lot more real people than many in Hollywood. It is not your typical celebrity endorsement.

JohnnyM
02-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Tal I am an American before I am a Democrat or a Republican. It just seems Democrats are so willing to give away the store and tax, tax, and tax again to do it. Obama really wants to give away the store. In his speech the other night he wants to give $4,000 college tax credits, healthcare for all, pull out of Iraq without caring about the consequences. He wants to sit down and talk to murderers and tyrants. McCain is McCain. He will keep us safe. He will watchdog the earmarks. If Obama or Clinton pull out of Iraq, the ball game is over. We would be back there within a year fighting for our lives. Obama tells the people what the people want to hear. To do it all, government will balloon and taxes will balloon even more. You can say what you want about Bush but we were never hit again and the economy, as far as I can see, just recently took a dive. I think all the negative press and doom and gloom from the other side of the aisle for the last 8 years finally caught up with him. Tough decision to be made by Americans come the election. Let's hope whoever is steering the ship is aware of the squalls and tidal waves. I really don't know what that meant but it sounded good. Thanks for your input Tal, always a pleasure to hear from you. Johnny

Taltarzac725
06-05-2012, 03:47 PM
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE WW II MOVIE STARS

Some of you younger guys (grandkids) probably have not even heard of these 'old movie stars'...some contrast between these men and the anti-American movie stars of today.

Hope you find this as informative and interesting as I did.?

In contrast to the ideals, opinions and feelings of today's 'Hollywonk,' the real actors of yester-year loved the United States. They had both class and integrity.
With the advent of World War II many of our actors went to fight rather than stand and rant against this country we all love.

They gave up their wealth, position and fame to become service men & women, many as simple 'enlisted men'.

This page lists but a few, but from this group of only 18 men came over 70 medals in honor of their valor, spanning from Bronze Stars, Silver Stars, Distinguish Service Cross', Purple Hearts and one Congressional Medal of Honor.

So remember; while the 'Entertainers of 2005-2006' have been in all of the news media lately I would like to remind the people of what the entertainers of 1943 were doing, (61 years ago).

Most of these brave men have since passed on.

'Real Hollywood Heroes'

Alec Guinness (Star Wars) operated a British Royal Navy landing craft on D-Day.

James Doohan ('Scotty' on Star Trek) landed in Normandy with the U. S. Army on D-Day.

Donald Pleasance (The Great Escape) really was an R. A. F. pilot who was shot down, held prisoner and tortured by the Germans.

David Niven was a Sandhurst graduate and Lt. Colonel of the British Commandos in Normandy.

James Stewart Entered the Army Air Force as a private and worked his way to the rank of Colonel. During World War II, Stewart served as a bomber pilot, his service record crediting him with leading more than 20 missions over Germany, and taking part in hundreds of air strikes during his tour of duty.
Stewart earned the Air Medal, the Distinguished Flying Cross, France's Croix de Guerre, and 7 Battle Stars during World War II. In peace time, Stewart continued to be an active member of the Air Force as a reservist, reaching the rank of Brigadier General before retiring in the late 1950s.

Clark Gable (Mega-Movie Star when war broke out)
Although he was beyond the draft age at the time the U.S. entered WW II, Clark Gable enlisted as a private in the AAF on Aug. 12, 1942 at Los Angeles.
He attended the Officers' Candidate School at
Miami Beach, Fla. and graduated as a second lieutenant on Oct. 28, 1942.
He then attended aerial gunnery school and in Feb. 1943 he was assigned to the 351st Bomb Group at Polebrook where flew operational missions over Europe in B-17s.
Capt. Gable returned to the U.S. in Oct. 1943 and was relieved from active duty as a major on Jun. 12, 1944 at his own request, since he was over-age for combat.

Charlton Heston was an Army Air Corps Sergeant in Kodiak.

Ernest Borgnine was a U. S. Navy Gunners Mate 1935-1945.

Charles Durning was a U. S. Army Ranger at Normandy
earning a Silver Star and awarded the Purple Heart.

Charles Bronson was a tail gunner in the Army Air Corps, more
specifically on B-29's in the 20th Air Force out of Guam, Tinian, and Saipan

George C. Scott was a decorated U. S. Marine.

Eddie Albert (Green Acres TV) was awarded a Bronze Star for his heroic action as a U. S. Naval officer aiding Marines at the horrific battle on the island of Tarawa in the Pacific Nov. 1943.

Brian Keith served as a US. Marine rear gunner in several actions against the
Japanese on Rabal in the Pacific.

Lee Marvin was a U.S. Marine on Saipan during the Marianas campaign when he was
wounded earning the Purple Heart.

John Russell: In 1942, he enlisted in the Marine Corps where he received a battlefield commission and was wounded and highly decorated for valor at Guadalcanal

Robert Ryan was a U. S. Marine who served with the O. S. S. in Yugoslavia.

Tyrone Power (an established movie star when Pearl Harbor was bombed) joined the
U.S. Marines, was a pilot flying supplies into, and wounded Marines out of, Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

Audie Murphy, little 5'5' tall 110 pound guy from Texas who played cowboy parts:
Most Decorated serviceman of WWII and earned: Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, 2 Silver Star Medals, Legion of Merit, 2 Bronze Star Medals with 'V', 2 Purple Hearts, U.S. Army Outstanding Civilian Service Medal, Good Conduct Medal, 2 Distinguished Unit Emblems, American Campaign Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with One Silver Star, Four Bronze Service Stars (representing nine campaigns) and one Bronze Arrowhead (representing assault landing at Sicily and Southern France) World War II Victory Medal Army of Occupation Medal with Germany Clasp, Armed Forces Reserve Medal, Combat Infantry Badge, Marksman Badge with Rifle Bar, Expert Badge with Bayonet Bar, French Fourragere in Colors of the Croix de Guerre, French Legion of Honor, Grade of Chevalier, French Croix de Guerre With Silver Star, French Croix de Guerre with Palm, Medal of Liberated France, Belgian Croix de Guerre 1940 Palm.

So how do you feel the real heroes of the silver screen acted when compared to the hollywonks today who spew out anti-American drivel as they bite the hand that feeds them?
Can you imagine these stars of yester-year saying they hate our flag, making anti-war speeches, marching in anti-American parades and saying they hate our president?

I thought not, neither did I!
If you enjoyed this bit of history, please pass it on.
JohnnyM

Recalled this good post from a number of years back.