bestmickey
02-20-2008, 04:07 PM
A group of Americans, retired teachers, recently went to France on a
tour. Robert Whiting, an elderly gentleman of 83, arrived in Paris by
plane.

At French Customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his
carry on. "You have been to France before, monsieur?" the customs
officer asked sarcastically.

Mr. Whiting admitted that he had been to France previously.

"Then you should know enough to have your passport ready."

Mr. Whiting responded, "The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it."

"Impossible! Americans always have to show your passports on arrival in
France !"

The American senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he quietly
explained. "Well, when I came ashore at Omaha Beach on D-Day in '44 to
help liberate this country from the NAZIS, I couldn't find any damn Frenchmen
to show it to." :bigthumbsup:

KathieI
02-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Mickey, great!! LOL!!

Kathie

MMC24
02-20-2008, 05:40 PM
After liberating France in '44' and Frenchmen cheering our soldiers in the streets of Paris, I wonder why they hate us so much today? I experienced some of this French animosity while vacationing in St. Martins a couple of years ago. The Dutch side was very welcoming but the French side had such disdain for Americans.

Mikitv
02-21-2008, 12:49 AM
:clap2:

Visited France in 82 and they were very rude to Americans. Seems like that is the way with most countries we have helped through wars and with money. Love us then but hate us later.

rdkent
02-21-2008, 12:56 AM
My wife and I have been to Paris twice in the last three years. Each time we rented an apartment and spent a week. Neither of us speaks French, but we learned enough to get by. We found the Parisians to be very friendly and helpful. Definitely friendlier than New Yorkers. Before people start posting that we are some kind of left wing anti-American Americans, we are somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan. I experienced anti-American attitudes in Paris in 1962 when I visited in 1962 while stationed in Germany and expected even worse today. We were very pleasantly surprised.

Speedy
02-21-2008, 01:57 AM
My wife and I have been to France several times. I speak a bit of French that I learned over 40 years ago. We have loved every second we have spent there and found the people exceptionally nice. In Paris when I spoke French they went right to their English. In other places, we all were able to make ourselves understood with a nice smile and a bit of patience. A nice smile goes way further than anything else.

chelsea24
02-21-2008, 07:14 AM
:agree: I wholeheartedly agree with Speedy. We have been to France on several occasions and plan on going back many more times. In fact, we were engaged there. The people were consistently pleasant and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. I think if you remember that you are a guest in other peoples countries, they will treat you like a respected guest. However, this is not meant to be a political comment, I do feel that in the past few years Americans, in general, are not as readily welcomed as they once were. Still, as Speedy says, a smile goes a long way. ;D

Muncle
02-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Chelsea, exactly what were you engaged in that made the people make you feel comfortable? :yikes: :clap2:

Despite whatever peccadilloes you may have practiced, you're right about people in Europe. I lived there about 9 years and absolutely loved it. Especially while living in Heidelberg, I got to know people from all over Europe, Africa, and Australia/New Zealand (Kiwi's are crazy people) and almost all were good people. I will admit that for some reason, I found the French to be the hardest to warm up to, but that seemed to be a sentiment shared by most others. I was extremely well treated when in the homes of various German families and was overwhelmed with the welcome and camaraderie I received in Cornwall.

And you are right on the mark in your comments about behaving as a guest. Even in Bavaria where Americans are worshipped, you still have to fight the shadow of "The Ugly American" of yesteryear and even still today. Once you overcome that stereotype, you're in.

I do, of course, disagree with your implication about the "past few years." There's a whole lot involved in that. But I don't care about that now. I just want to know about you being engaged in something pleasant and comfortable. :hot: :2excited: :hot:

chelsea24
02-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Muncle, you nut! ;D My husband and I got engaged to be married there and yes it was extremely pleasant and comfortable. ;)