>
> Right on, Andy Rooney !
>
> Andy Rooney said on '60 Minutes' a few weeks back:
>
> I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except
> numbers.. The only things I can think of that are truly
> discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet
> Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America.
> Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund, Cloud
> Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or Miss White America; and
> see what happens...Jesse Jackson will be knocking down your door.
>
> Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer.
> You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, bu t no one is
> trying to ban you from driving to the ball game.
>
> I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason, which is why
> there are no girls allowed. Girls belong in the Girl Scouts! ARE YOU
> LISTENING MARTHA BURKE ?
>
> I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong, it is not a phobia,
> it is an opinion.
>
> I have the right 'NOT' to be tolerant of others because they are
> different, weird, or tick me off.
>
> When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where
> 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling; it is
> the Law of Probability.
>
> I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake, a pack of
> cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English!
> As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American ci tizen, you
> should have to speak English!
>
> My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you can leave the
> countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours.
>
> I think the police should have every right to shoot you if you
> threaten them after they tell you to stop. If you can't understand
> the word 'freeze' or 'stop' in English, see the above lines.
>
> I don't think just because you were not born in this country, you
> are qualified for any special loan programs, government sponsored
> bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel, coffee
> shop, trinket store, or any other business.
>
> We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our
> lives in wars to defend their freedoms, so that decades later they
> could come over here and tell us ou r constitution is a living
> document; and open to their interpretations.
>
> I don't hate the rich I don't pity the poor
>
> I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and television. That
> doesn't stop you from watching them.
>
> I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and
> continue to make more. If it tick s you off, go and invent the next
> operating system that's better, and put your name on the building.
>
> It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right, but it does
> take a parent to stand up to the kid; and smack their little behinds
> when necessary, and say 'NO!'
>
> I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want them, but please
> don't pretend they are a political statement. And, pl ease, stay
> home until that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at your
> ugly infected mouth as you serve me French fries!
>
> I am sick of 'Political Correctness.' I know a lot of black people,
> and not a single one of them was born in Africa ; so how can they be
> 'African-Americans'? Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go
> around saying I am a European-American because my great, great,
> great, great, great, great grandfather was from Europe . I am proud
> to be from America and nowhere else
>
> And if you don't like my point of view, tough...
>
> I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG, OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ,
> AND TO THE REPUBLIC, FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION UNDER GOD,
> INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL!
>
> I was asked to send this on if I agree or delete if I don't. It is
> said that 86% of Americans believe in God.. Therefore I have a very
> hard time understanding why there is such a problem in having 'In
> God We Trust' on our money and having 'God' in the Pledge of
> Allegiance. Why don't we just tell the 14% to BE QUIET!!!
>
> If you agree, pass this on
> if not delete!
>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deliciou

Muncle
02-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Nope, nope, nope, nope nope. Rooney didn't write or broadcast these statements.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/rooney4.asp

I get a several of these a month attributed to Rooney, Bill Cosby, George Carlin, Ted Nugent, or whoever. They are not true, except maybe some of the Nugent stuff. For some reason, people put a famous name on an essay and start circulating it. Down the road, of course, it gets changed with someone adding their favorite cause.

redwitch
02-22-2008, 11:53 PM
I'm going to ignore most of what was said but I have to chime in one issue. I loathe the fact that people don't have to speak English here any longer. The first time I came to the United States, I didn't speak a word of English although I was an American citizen. Neither did my mother. We both learned. We had to.

When we traveled overseas, my father pretty much made it the rule that we would speak the language of the country we were in out of respect to the people of that nation. Fortunately for him, he was a true genius when it came to languages. Within three weeks, he could speak the language fluently. My mother always struggled, but she'd try. My brother was okay -- neither good nor bad. I was young enough to pick up the languages rather quickly.

I truly believe we are doing a great disservice to those who come here from other lands and don't speak English. Worse yet, we short-change America. We do them no favors by having English as a second language in school nor by catering to their lack of ability to speak English (well, actually American -- English is another language altogether even though we can understand it).

This country was based on the premise that it is a melting pot and all are welcome. In a melting pot, everything blends together to make a better metal, stew, whatever. By allowing people to stand as a separate entity/nation while living here does no one any good. What a sad state affairs.

bsliny
02-23-2008, 12:18 AM
Redwitch i agree with you one hundred % Both myand parents came here from Poland
and they were proud to be Americans and they learned the language English that is
What do we do to help the foreigners learn the language If you speak English press one if not press 2 and what about all the signs around in Spanish WHy should they learn English
we make esay for them not to learn :dontknow:

redwitch
02-23-2008, 12:32 AM
As I said, we've done them a great disservice. I have a friend in California who immigrated from San Salvador (legally!). He speaks English poorly and has no reason to really improve.

We were talking once and he made a statement I found profoundly sad. He told me the biggest difference between Hispanic immigrants (legal or illegal) and those that had come previously is that it was never their intent to stay in America permanently. He plans to move back "home" in about three years. His wife, who speaks fluent English and is an American citizen, doesn't. She's now living with her parents with their two children. He's living with his uncle and their family. His uncle speaks English quite well and has no intention of leaving of America.

Anyway, most Hispanics want to make enough money to start their own business in their home country and go back. Many of them never quite make enough money and have relegated themselves to second-class citizens, never being able to vote, to hold office, to truly have a job that will pay them the wages they desire so they can return home. So, they stay here, never learn English, have their unfulfilled dreams and stagnate.

As I said, we are doing a great disservice by allowing people to come here and not learn English.

another Linda
02-23-2008, 07:53 PM
My husband's uncle used to tell funny stories about his efforts to learn English. For example he ate nothing but ham and eggs for literally months because that was all he knew how to say! I agree we should insist that immigrants learn English. But also it would be nice if more 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants were able to keep speaking their native languages. Maybe if more Americans were able to speak another language, we'd realize it's not an impossible task for others to learn English.

Taltarzac
02-23-2008, 08:03 PM
My husband's uncle used to tell funny stories about his efforts to learn English. For example he ate nothing but ham and eggs for literally months because that was all he knew how to say! I agree we should insist that immigrants learn English. But also it would be nice if more 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants were able to keep speaking their native languages. Maybe if more Americans were able to speak another language, we'd realize it's not an impossible task for others to learn English.

I have studied a number of different languages-- French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Russian, Chinese and Japanese-- and found that one of the hardest to learn because of its complete lack of logic and many inconsistencies in spelling, pronunciation and even in word meanings is English.

I do not have much of an ear for languages so my studies were more for reading these languages or at least recognizing patterns in them.

Funny poem.

Eye Halve a Spelling Chequer
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a quay and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its really ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

(Sauce unknown)

(Below is a corrected version:)

I have a Spelling Checker
I have a spelling checker
It came with my PC
It plainly marks for my review
Mistakes I cannot see.

I strike a key and type a word
And wait for it to say
Whether I am wrong or right
It shows me straight away.

As soon as a mistake is made
It knows before too long
And I can put the error right
It's rarely ever wrong.

I have run this poem through it
I am sure you're pleased to know
It's letter perfect in its way
My checker told me so.

(Source unknown)

redwitch
02-23-2008, 08:27 PM
I've had to learn many languages during my life -- German, French, Italian, Russian, Farsi, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Spanish, Arabic, Portugese, Tagalog, to name some of them. Most I've forgotten about as quickly as I learned them. However, if I'm back in a country, the language does come back albeit I speak as a child would (makes sense since I learned them as a child). Hand's down the 3 hardest languages to learn for me were (1) Russian, (2) English, (3) Mandarin Chinese.

Russian just is missing too many vowels and simply did not trip over my tongue at all. English has a rule for everything and an exception to every rule. Drove me crazy as a child, drives me crazy as an adult. Chinese in any dialect is just a difficult language. I used to have the theory that the Chinese had two tongues, a split tongue or some special bump to be able to speak the way did, especially as rapidly as they did. Not so sure I wasn't wrong.

another Linda
02-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Boy do I feel limited! I speak English and an itty bitty tiny smattering of Spanish. when my in-laws were alive I got so I could understand a bit of French, but that was only because they threw in enough Franglish that I could sorta kinda follow the conversation.

redwitch
02-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Linda, that was many moons ago for me. Today, I speak fluent Americanese, a smattering of English and dream in German. The only time other languages even remotely come out is when I'm really upset and then you'll get a syllable in one language, a word in another and nothing coherent. Heck, I can't even remember the simple stuff like please and thank you in most of the languages. They really were forgotten as quickly as they were learned.

BTW -- Did you know that the Japanese have absolutely no curse words? However, their insults are priceless.