PDA

View Full Version : Heart surgery - what hospitals do you recommend?

gfmucci
02-26-2008, 05:56 PM
...in the United States, and what is the basis for your opinion?

gfmucci
02-27-2008, 03:25 AM
Yes, US News rates Cleveland Clinic #1 for about 13 years running.* I would be concerned about going with "the best doctor" at a mediocre hospital.* The doctor is with the patient a few hours...the rest of the staff and facility are with the patient for several days.

gfmucci
02-27-2008, 01:17 PM
My dad, from Brockton, swore by Mass Gen....always heard him praise Massachusetts General during the 20 years he lived in Fort Lauderdale.

trichard
02-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Cleveland Clinic based upon family experience.

bestmickey
03-02-2008, 04:00 PM
This is local to me, so I'm probably biased. I would recommend St. Peter's Hospital in Albany NY. They are ranked by "Healthgrades" as a five-star cardiac facility. I've heard their physicians are top-notch. You can view info at: http://www.sphcs.org/stpeters.cfm?ID=200

While accidents can happen any time and anywhere, I had a secretary whose husband had open heart surgery at Mass General in ~1992. The heart/lung machine malfunctioned, due to human error. He died. She got lots of money. It was actually a blessing to her. He was an abuser.

If you've asked this question for yourself or a loved one...I wish you GOOD LUCK!

gfmucci
03-04-2008, 07:55 PM
This is for my wife, Joan.* She was recently diagnosed with "left atrial myxoma". http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007273.htm* Based on my research so far, the Cleveland Clinic is my first choice.* We'll discuss options with the doc tomorrow. This is such a rare thing it makes sense to me to seek a facility that performs literally many hundreds of similar surgeries per year.

By the way, how did you teach your cat to box like that?

samhass
03-04-2008, 08:45 PM
At the risk of sounding provincial, Leesburg has a wonderful heart wing. If you are in TV and can't make it to another state, you can receive excellent care right here close to home. Since we spend the majority of our time here, I'm happy to know that Leesburg does a great job. As we all know, sometimes your heart does not give you the option of choosing to travel far away. My husband had an emergency five way bypass in Leesburg. The nurse/patient ratio after getting out of ICU is 1:4. The quality of care they provided was excellent. Several hours after my husband was moved out of ICU, he looked at me and said "I don't feel well." Just as he finished telling me this, the room was filled with nurses, doctors and a crash cart. I was whisked out of the room while they cared for him, yet a nurse, realizing I was terror stricken, came out to me and explained what was happening.
They got him back in ICU and did what they needed to do. They cared for him and for me.
They saved his life and I will be eternally grateful.

gfmucci
03-04-2008, 09:23 PM
We're in the Florida Panhandle, a virtual medical 3rd world. It's good to hear your experience with Leesburg, though, for when we are full timers. :clap2:

bestmickey
03-04-2008, 10:14 PM
This is for my wife, Joan. She was recently diagnosed with "left atrial myxoma". http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007273.htm Based on my research so far, the Cleveland Clinic is my first choice. We'll discuss options with the doc tomorrow. This is such a rare thing it makes sense to me to seek a facility that performs literally many hundreds of similar surgeries per year.

By the way, how did you teach your cat to box like that?

Agree that you should seek a facility that performs many similar surgeries.

Re: cat boxing, it's funny. My sister's cat actually does box like this. Whenever my sister grooms the cat, all she needs to do is hold the handful of hair in front of Lady Cocoa Chanel (cat name). Cocoa goes wild...she wants the hair! (Gross...she'd eat it. Yech!) Cocoa will get on her hind legs and "bat" (pow pow pow pow pow) my sister's hands to communicate that the hair should be dropped (so Cocoa can get it.) She'll also hiss (Cocoa, not my sister ;)).

gfmucci
03-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Last week we scheduled a slot at The Cleveland Clinic.* Joan and I are headed there this Sunday for her heart procedures.* I'll keep you apprised of our experiences and opinions.

KathieI
03-22-2008, 01:10 AM
GF and Joan, Good luck and we will all be praying for a successful procedure and speedy recovery. Yes, please keep us informed as soon as you can.

God bless you guys!! Kathie

gfmucci
03-25-2008, 07:21 PM
After her heart cath today, they determined that Joan's stress-echo performed last month in the medical wilderness of the Florida panhandle was a "false positive." We expect her myxoma extraction to occur on Thursday or Friday. Given no need for a by-pass, they may able to perform this procedure robotically, or at least, minimally invasively.

This hospital is an A#1 place. There is an hour or two wait between tests, but hey, there's about 35,000 employees here and most of them are human!

We appreciate your prayers.

Village Kid 2
03-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Great news, gfm! Second opinions, being in the right place at the right time, prayers - they all help. So glad things are going better for Joan! Our good thoughts are with you both!

VK

Time for Tee
03-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Since I am a by-pass patient of 9 years ago I try to check out the hospitals before I need one. Local would be Munroe Regional Hospital in Ocala. Information came from people I have talked to in this area. They are #11 in the top 100 hospitals for heart care. They also have a special clinic for women. Check their site out~~~ Munroeheart.com. If I had time and it involved the heart of myself or my husband,s I would go to the Cleveland Clinic. Many times you do not have time!

KathieI
03-25-2008, 08:22 PM
GF & Joan, Great News!! My stress echo a few years back gave me a false positive for something or other. Doc stopped the test immediately and gave me a pill to take before I did anything more. The next morning I was in the hospital for a angiogram but all was okay.
It sure was scary, but thank God all worked out well.

Thanks for keeping us posted, and good luck to you and Joan. I know prayers work!!

Kathie

KathieI
03-28-2008, 03:32 AM
After her heart cath today, they determined that Joan's stress-echo performed last month in the medical wilderness of the Florida panhandle was a "false positive." We expect her myxoma extraction to occur on Thursday or Friday. Given no need for a by-pass, they may able to perform this procedure robotically, or at least, minimally invasively. We appreciate your prayers.

GF, did Joan have her surgery today or will it be tomorrow? Hope all is well, we're still praying for you guys!!

Good luck, Kathie (and I'm sure the rest of TOTV)

gfmucci
03-30-2008, 03:30 AM
GF, did Joan have her surgery today or will it be tomorrow? Joan's surgery was conducted in the period from 11 am to 2:30 pm on Thursday. She spent most of Friday in ICU (standard procedure), and is now in a "step down unit." Everything went as planned. She did not have robotics...she opted not to for several reasons:

1) Even though a much smaller incision, robotics require going in through the muscles on the side. Muscles are much more painful and slower to heal than going in through the sternum.
2) If there is a complication of any kind, they have to go through the sternum anyway.

In fact, the surgeon found a small hole (pinpoint sized?) between the left and right atrium that she had since birth. He sealed that up while he was in there.

Once again, we appreciate all your thoughts and prayers. I believe, in addition to God's love, her vision of soon being in The Villages is making her strong.

KathieI
03-30-2008, 03:36 AM
GF, please give Joan a kiss for us and tell her we're thinking of her. The worse is over, that's how I always feel after surgery, and now it will up to her to get back on her feet ASAP and get her butt down to TV to recuperate.

Its amazing what the docs can do today, for all we complain, they are true miracle workers and we don't thank them enough sometimes.

Good luck and we hope to see you soon.

Kathie

gfmucci
04-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Joan was discharged from the Cleveland Clinic at 1 PM this afternoon. :beer3: :clap2: :2cool: 040 040 Still stabilizing the heart rate with Beta Blockers and verrry tired.

We'll be flying home to Destin Sunday morning. She can't WAIT to get to TV.

KathieI
04-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Excellent!!! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

040 040 Love to hear news like this 040 040

Love to you and Joan!! :-* :-*

Have a safe trip home and see you both in TV

Kathie

gfmucci
04-06-2008, 03:40 AM
Well, apparently we were all* 040 040 040 a little prematurely.* Joan was readmitted to the Cleveland Clinic this afternoon after experiencing some suspicious vision anomalies.* She will remain for at least a couple more days while they perform more tests.

After doing some internet research, (and granted a little ignorant info can be dangerous) I am suspecting what they call "release of atheramatous material" into the blood stream as a result of the surgery and procedures related thereto.* This can cause stroke or malfunction of various organs.* This* dislodged material may be in the form of "cholesterol crystal emobolization" which is triggered by clamping the aorta in open heart surgery, guidewire and catheter manipulations through various arteries, and anticoagulant therapies.* I know she had the clamping...not sure of the other two.* She was administered blood thinners this afternoon.* The critical period for the effects of shaking all these debris loose is from one hour to three months after this kind of surgery.

The very disappointing thing about all this is that this was supposed to be a fairly low risk, routine surgery as far as open heart surgeries are concerned.* I'm beginning to question the relative risk of having lived with the myxoma versus the risks of this surgery.* Hindsight is 20/20.* Or in this case, without much value.

KathieI
04-06-2008, 04:26 AM
GF, sorry to hear about Joan. We will pray for her tomorrow in church and will do a special intention in her name. Please tell her to hurry and get well soon so she can join us in TV at Crispers.

God bless you guys,

Kathie

gfmucci
04-06-2008, 04:29 AM
Thank you, Kathie.

gfmucci
04-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Well, after a two day travel ordeal, Joan made it back home this afternoon and is resting comfortably in her own bed. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement and prayers. Cleveland Clinic is highly recommended...and boy, are they thorough.