PDA

View Full Version : Spray painting cane chairs?

Christine G
07-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Does anyone know if a body shop can spray paint our cane dining chairs, which are now rather discoloured. If so, how much and where? I know that it is possible to get kitchen cabinet doors resprayed having seen that being done on the HGTV show. The seat cushions can be unscrewed. I am going to tackle two small bar stools with cans of spray paint, but six chairs is a lot. Thanks

NoMoSno
07-26-2014, 03:26 PM
I would contact these people:
Rael Furniture Repair (http://www.inhometouchup.com/)

Christine G
07-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Thank you, will try that.

LndLocked
07-27-2014, 08:09 AM
Are these chairs & stools currently "painted" a solid opaque color or they have a stained/clear finish?

If they have a stained/clear finish, I would suggest that you have them "painted" with colored lacquer. Lacquers can be tinted any color and have any level of sheen (from gloss to flat .... IMO a satin looks the best) and they have the advantage of removability (should you or someone else decide to go back to a stained/clear finish look), but once they are painted (ESPECIALLY the caning) removing the paint becomes much more problematic.

I would also suggest that rather an automotive type painter, you contact a local furniture refinisher. They know how to properly do this type of work and have the ability, equipt, and knowledge to spray the furniture with a colored lacquer.

Christine G
07-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the information, I will check into it, thought they were painted as some is flaking off revealing brown underneath, maybe it is lacquer not paint. Thank you

theorem painter
07-29-2014, 06:12 AM
If there is already flaking of the finish it will continue to flake if you spray paint them. My suggestion would be to use a chalk paint such as Annie Sloan that will adhere over any finish. It will have to be painted on, not sprayed. My guess is spraying will be a quick fix but it will not last.

villagetinker
07-29-2014, 08:31 AM
If this is cane over a metal frame, then depending on the frame you may have future problems as hinted above. If you have a magnet, see if the frame is steel, and if so, you may have a rust problem that will need to be fixed first.
I have extensive experience with rebuilding and painting cars, as a hobby. There are several products that are effective for stopping rust, however, not sure of the effect on the cane material. I agree with the above suggestions to contact a furniture refinishing service, automotive paints are typically not compatible with plastic, vinyl, or plastic based (the cane) material.
Hope this helps.

Christine G
07-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, I like the chalk paint idea, and the spray painting seems to be less appealing now.