PDA

View Full Version : Tiger quits @ Bridgestone

billethkid
08-03-2014, 03:50 PM
More quits by Tiger than any golfer I remember over the years watching televised golf.

I suspect a contributor is or could be he is not measuring up to his expectation and that could take a mental/physical toll.

It let's the announcers, again, us on the front runners!

justjim
08-03-2014, 04:09 PM
Came back too soon. But I'm not a Tiger fan.

billethkid
08-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Came back too soon. But I'm not a Tiger fan.

I would think with all the physical therapist, spiritual(?), psychological and all other asdvisors he would not come out too early and embarass himself and the "game".

That leaves his biggest challenge is to get calibrated to his current capability......which has little to do with his earlier career achievements as the past is the past. Sometimes more distant than some will acknowledge.

Average Guy
08-03-2014, 04:27 PM
He was in a lot of pain from back spasms when he left the golf course yesterday.

Topspinmo
08-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Tiger no tiger anymore. Old alleycat that can't cut it anymore.

Edjkoz
08-03-2014, 04:55 PM
I think much of this is in his head. He is not living up to his expectations

TheVillageChicken
08-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Tiger no tiger anymore. Old alleycat that can't cut it anymore.

Hope he doesn't become the next Doug Ford, hanging around and using lifetime exemptions for, well...a lifetime.

dolpterry
08-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Maybe some of the other golfers can get some air time now. Seems like they show the top 2 or 3 guys and Tiger no matter how far he is behind. Never a fan,he had lots of talent before throwing his coach and caddy under the bus. All of the greats had talent and respect for the game, I believe he has lost both.

D&Lsunfun
08-03-2014, 06:52 PM
could it be karma?
also coming back to the game too soon after surgery.
tiger was back in florida talking to his doctor.
can't blame the doctor, it is a healing process and takes a year or more.

village dreamer
08-03-2014, 07:08 PM
tiger who?????

billethkid
08-04-2014, 04:16 AM
this event should make Tom Watson's decision making easier and DO NOT include Tiger in the British Open .....I think the only person in golf who thinks he should be in it is Tiger!

Russ_Boston
08-04-2014, 07:19 AM
That leaves his biggest challenge is to get calibrated to his current capability......which has little to do with his earlier career achievements as the past is the past. Sometimes more distant than some will acknowledge.

More distant? He won 5 TIMES last season. He has won MORE tournaments since the last Ryder cup than anyone! He was number 1 heading into last year's playoffs. he was 1st on the President's cup qualifier list last year. He won the Vardon trophy for low scoring average on tour last year (I think he has won this something like 10 times!). This is just last year not "more distant than some will acknowledge". Or are my facts wrong?

He has struggled in the majors for sure and perhaps his body has let him down at this point. The timeline for his back problems stems back to last year's PGA which was almost 1 year ago. But it's not his capability.

Russ_Boston
08-04-2014, 07:23 AM
Maybe some of the other golfers can get some air time now. Seems like they show the top 2 or 3 guys and Tiger no matter how far he is behind. Never a fan,he had lots of talent before throwing his coach and caddy under the bus. All of the greats had talent and respect for the game, I believe he has lost both.

They only show the top few guys in any tournament. Yesterday you saw EVERY shot from Rory and Sergio with only a few from the others. BUT that is what we want - to see the battle for the championship, not the battle for 5th. Yes, they show Tiger more than the average Joe when he's not at the top but that's what the people want to see. Just look at the ratings when Tiger is near the top of a tournament. It isn't debatable.

Russ_Boston
08-04-2014, 07:31 AM
I think that this Tiger bashing has a strong basis in racism! Do you that bash him because of his lecherous ways also condemn and boycott the dozens of Hollywood stars who seem to play revolving door with their relationships? Would you disown your family members if they cheat on their wife and get a divorce? Did you bash other golfers who cheated on their wives and married a golf groupie they met at some tournament or outing (look it up!)? 50% of all new marriages end in divorce and I would bet that many of those divorces were preceded by an affair. Get over it or just don't comment on it.

mickey100
08-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Thank you for having the guts to comment on that Russ. I have a feeling a lot of the Tiger bashing is latent racism, as is the Obama bashing, but of course no one would ever admit it.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
08-04-2014, 09:20 AM
this event should make Tom Watson's decision making easier and DO NOT include Tiger in the British Open .....I think the only person in golf who thinks he should be in it is Tiger!

Um....I think that you're talking about the Ryder Cup. And, in fact both Tom Watson and Jack Nicklaus said that unless he didn't want to play or was physically unable, he should be on the team.

But you're correct. This will make it so that Capt Watson will not have to make a decision.

It's really a shame. Not only will he not be on the Ryder Cup team, but he will also miss the PGA Championship and the opportunity to add another major to his total of 14.

But, all of theTiger haters will be coming out of the woodwork now probably saying that he's making excuses for his recent poor play. The fact is that the guy just had major back surgery five months ago. Yes, he probably came back too early, but he doesn't drop out of tournaments because he's playing poorly. The is a warrior and is possibly the best golfer who ever walked the face of the earth.

It's shame if this ends his career because of what might have been if he had stayed healthy.

On the other hand, his former coach, Hank Haney, feels that he was building up too much upper body and that it would affect his back. I always felt that he out too much strain on his back especially after his latest swing changes. But he has to do what he thinks is best and will give him the best results.

I'm sure that there are plenty of other golf professionals that disagree with Hank and myself and who knows. Backs are funny things. Freddy Couples has a golf swing that puts very little stress on his lower back, but still had a history of back issues. You never know.

But anyway, I hope that Tiger gets fully recovered and comes back healthy and continues to make golf history.

quirky3
08-04-2014, 09:24 AM
I think that this Tiger bashing has a strong basis in racism! Do you that bash him because of his lecherous ways also condemn and boycott the dozens of Hollywood stars who seem to play revolving door with their relationships? Would you disown your family members if they cheat on their wife and get a divorce? Did you bash other golfers who cheated on their wives and married a golf groupie they met at some tournament or outing (look it up!)? 50% of all new marriages end in divorce and I would bet that many of those divorces were preceded by an affair. Get over it or just don't comment on it.

Thank you Russ! Based on the facts, I agree!!

billethkid
08-04-2014, 09:27 AM
on the race card.....the minority vote (pun intended) is hearby acknowledged:wave:

graciegirl
08-04-2014, 09:31 AM

I think you are WRONG about racism. Absolutely wrong. I have NEVER heard any tiny little whisper of that about him, or about the president.

I admit Tiger's sport umm loving made my admiration of him go south.

Golfers aren't to me the same as Hollywood. And as for cheating on your mate, perhaps it isn't a shame to many, but it's no honor either.

I want Jack Nicklaus back.

Russ_Boston
08-04-2014, 09:58 AM
I think you are WRONG about racism. Absolutely wrong. I have NEVER heard any tiny little whisper of that about him, or about the president.

Of course not Gracie. People don't admit racism-it's just brought out in their comments or actions. If it's not racism then why pick on Tiger? He isn't the first nor the last. I know of at least 3 current prominent golfers who have cheated on their wives with golf groupies, been caught, admitted it, then divorced their wife. In fact on the PGA tour there is a slang term for a wife who isn't a beauty queen - they call them 'first wife' (my source is from PGA veteran Brad Faxon on the Boston sports talk station WEEI from about 3-4 years ago). To say that what's happening to Tiger is some sort of karma is just ludicrous on it's face. These same people don't bash others.

Yes, it's just my opinion that the base of the hatred stems from racism. But I deal with the public on a daily basis at the hospital and racism is still deep in and around TV. It's tragic and stupid.

graciegirl
08-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Of course not Gracie. People don't admit racism-it's just brought out in their comments or actions. If it's not racism then why pick on Tiger? He isn't the first nor the last. I know of at least 3 current prominent golfers who have cheated on their wives with golf groupies, been caught, admitted it, then divorced their wife. In fact on the PGA tour there is a slang term for a wife who isn't a beauty queen - they call them 'first wife' (my source is from PGA veteran Brad Faxon on the Boston sports talk station WEEI from about 3-4 years ago). To say that what's happening to Tiger is some sort of karma is just ludicrous on it's face. These same people don't bash others.

Yes, it's just my opinion that the base of the hatred stems from racism. But I deal with the public on a daily basis at the hospital and racism is still deep in and around TV. It's tragic and stupid.

Tiger Woods was and Is an excellent golfer, but he has a very fragile self confidence. I knew when he was caught cheating with so many, many women, and public opinion turned against him he would go downhill. He needs the cheers and accolades and positive public opinion to play golf at his best. He would go from zero to sixty when he hit a bad shot. NOT the best personality for a golfer.

It isn't fair that because some are narrow minded that you think all are narrow minded. I think ANYONE who allows any religion, political party, or entity to think for them is wrong. But I do not think all people are born with the same tools to make a success of their lives. Some are advantaged and some are disadvantaged in a lot of different ways . You are grouping people in a bunch the same way racists do. There may be some who judge him because of race, but it is not fair to say that about a bunch of us.

I think Tiger Woods had everything and he threw it away. And I would think that if he was bright pink.

And if I were his wife I would have bopped him hard just like she did. And maybe adusted a few other things so that he would sing with the sopranos.

justjim
08-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Early in Tiger's professional golf career we followed him at several Tournments and learn to "dislike" his arrogant personality and as one post put it "going from zero to sixty following a bad shot.

Arguably, Tiger may have more golfing skills than any who have played. Unfortunately, the "man" didn't match the skills.

As several of the golf commentators have pointed out, the way many of the 300 yard plus current golfers swing today, back problems similar to Tiger's are almost certain.

Russ_Boston
08-04-2014, 12:19 PM
It isn't fair that because some are narrow minded that you think all are narrow minded.

Let's be fair: Never said "ALL" were racist. Some of the negatives may have other reasons but some IMHO are racist reasons - I don't have to prove it I just have a real hunch.

Also to say that Tiger has gone downhill after the incident is kind of a stretch. Yes, he has no majors but he did win FIVE times last season while the second best was TWO. Won player of the year 2013. I'd like that to be considered my downhill season:)

Russ_Boston
08-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Just another point about Tiger:

Many people are under the misconception that Phil Michelson is a much more beloved player by the fans and the pros. I agree that Phil is wildly popular among the fans but not so much by his peers. I used to listen to a lot of PGA tour network on XM when I had a stupid commute into Boston everyday. The pros LOVE Tiger. Not just for the revenue that he creates for the tour but just as a 'guy'. This isn't 'my theory'. This is from listening to the pros in the locker room with both of them. You, me, may not like Tiger's demeanor on the course (actually I love his competitiveness), but it's no contest among those he plays with.

Phil even has a derogatory term that I've heard used and admitted to by some pros. I heard this numerous times on the Dennis and Callahan show on sports radio from Brad Faxon, Billy Andrade and others. I won't print it here due to language but you can find it here: (I mean the FIGJAM nickname)

http://underscoopfire.com/6-of-the-best-derogatory-sports-nicknames-of-all-time/

TheVillageChicken
08-04-2014, 12:42 PM

Are you pointing that finger at the previous posters in this thread?

John_W
08-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Whenever you see a video of Tiger winning the Masters in 1997 he looks like a high school kid. He must be 30 pounds heavier now, maybe more and it's a lot of muscle. He has overworked his muscles at the gym and I think it has created most of his problems. I work out 5 days a week at the gym, but I also do a lot of stretching after each class or on the equipment and I don't go to extremes. He has gone a little too far, he even went through Navy Seal training. He needs to really cut back at the gym and maybe take up yoga and do more stretching.

Russ_Boston
08-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Are you pointing that finger at the previous posters in this thread?

Yes but it's a general feeling not so much a particular post. I can't know what's in the heart of others. They need to look at themselves and ask the honest question of the root of their feelings. For example: Did they feel that way about President Clinton (2 admitted affairs and many other alleged), or any other celebrity or entertainer or sports star caught in the act. Tiger's imperfections had nothing to do with the arena that he participates in. If they feel the exact same way about any other well-known figure who has been caught in an extra-marital affair then their stance toward Tiger is probably not racist. If they let the others have a pass but not Tiger then perhaps they need to look deeper into their soul.

Russ_Boston
08-04-2014, 02:03 PM
He needs to really cut back at the gym and maybe take up yoga and do more stretching.

If you take a good look at the training that Tiger (very secretive about specifics of course) undertakes you'll notice that the majority of modern golfers do the same. Just watch golf channel and look at the shows about golf fitness and what they go through. Yes they increase their muscle mass but they work very, very hard at stretching, plyometrics, range of motion, etc.

Just watch any of these: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=joey+d+golf+plyometrics&FORM=AWVR

Tiger may have started the fitness boom but he's not just a muscle head.

FYI: Have you seen a before and after of Rory lately? He's jacked compared to 4 years ago.

Bonnevie
08-04-2014, 03:12 PM
I took my son to many tournaments to watch Tiger play. While I agree racism is far from dead (see Fruitland Park police and KKK), I think Tiger was like OJ Simpson....admired and accepted by just about everyone until their unspeakable actions ruined them.

As to his "affairs", what he did went far, far beyond having affairs. The shear number and the type of women he was with, juggling several at one time--it seemed he just had to rack up numbers for some reason. Perhaps that's a problem with being a golf prodigy....he didn't go thru adolescence.

At any rate, while I would be less inclined to go out of my way now to watch him play, I'd like to see him come back and do well.

Ragman
08-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Looks like there is now a Dustin Johnson scandal brewing. If true it seems to involve other players' wives; a big, big no no.

RErmer
08-04-2014, 04:46 PM
IMHO, came back too soon. And I will always be a Tiger fan.

mickey100
08-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Looks like there is now a Dustin Johnson scandal brewing. If true it seems to involve other players' wives; a big, big no no.

And possibly cocaine, another no no. I had heard from a good source that works in the industry, that Mickelson and his wife both have a major gambling problem. Hardly poster boy material. I suspect a lot of those guys are not clean as a whistle. To be honest, I'm not watching them for their moral values so much as their athletic prowess.

08-04-2014, 07:56 PM
Please stay on topic of Tiger's withdrawal from recent golf tournament. Please do not direct comments at each other.

Polar Bear
08-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Tiger's withdrawal is just the latest drama. I don't think it really changes peoples' opinion of Tiger one way or another. And I certainly don't see any connection to racism.

Those who see racism in almost everything make me almost as sick as racists. There are plenty of reasons to not like Tiger. You don't have to even consider his latest withdrawal...

His on-course demeanor is one...club slamming or throwing, swearing, and other childish behavior when things don't go his way.

I've never seen Tiger give due credit to a golfer who beat him. Tiger always loses due to a poor day with the putter, or some such drivel. He never just gets his butt kicked by somebody who played better.

He conducts himself in a generally arrogant manner and pays little attention to his fans.

Finally, there is Tiger's cheating. I am by no means condoning adultery, but there is adultery, and then there is what Tiger did.

Racism? Maybe for some. But I think many should get over the fact that you don't have to be racist to dislike Tiger.

graciegirl
08-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Those who see racism in almost everything make me almost as sick as racists. There are plenty of reasons to not like Tiger...

His on-course demeanor is one. Club slamming or throwing, swearing, and other childish behavior when things don't go his way.

I've never seen Tiger give due credit to a golfer who beat him. Tiger always loses due to a poor day with the putter, or some such drivel. He never just gets his butt kicked by somebody who played better.

He conducts himself in a generally arrogant manner and pays little attention to his fans?

Finally, there is Tiger's cheating. I am by no means condoning adultery, but here is adultery, and then there is what Tiger did.

Racism?

That is what I was tryin' to say. I so agree.

AND I like my golfers to act decently, like the golfers who I have known in my life. I think of golfers as gentlemanly or ladylike, polished and well raised. The cream of the crop.

I can think that way if I want to. The rest of you who say that their morality doesn't matter, enjoy away. I like my heros to be nice people.

KeepingItReal
08-04-2014, 11:23 PM
Tiger's withdrawal is just the latest drama. I don't think it really changes peoples' opinion of Tiger one way or another. And I certainly don't see any connection to racism.

Those who see racism in almost everything make me almost as sick as racists. There are plenty of reasons to not like Tiger. You don't have to even consider his latest withdrawal...

His on-course demeanor is one...club slamming or throwing, swearing, and other childish behavior when things don't go his way.

He conducts himself in a generally arrogant manner and pays little attention to his fans.

Finally, there is Tiger's cheating. I am by no means condoning adultery, but there is adultery, and then there is what Tiger did.

Racism? Maybe for some. But I think many should get over the fact that you don't have to be racist to dislike Tiger.

:BigApplause: Totally agree. Having honor and being honorable goes a long way....