PDA

View Full Version : Computer problems ??????

The Great Fumar
03-06-2008, 10:15 PM
I was having trouble with my computer. So I called Matt the computer guy, to come over. Matt clicked a couple of buttons and solved the problem.

He gave me a bill for a minimum service call.
As he was walking away, I called after him, 'So, what was wrong?'
He replied, 'It was an ID ten T error.'
I didn't want to appear stupid, but nonetheless inquired, 'An, ID ten T error? What's that .. in case I need to fix it again?'

Matt grinned.... 'Haven't you ever heard of an ID ten T error before?'
'No,' I replied.
'Write it down,' he said, 'and I think you'll figure it out.'
So I wrote down: I D 1 0 T

I used to like Matt . >:( >:( >:(

tony
03-07-2008, 01:11 AM
I always used to explain that the problem was in the interface between the keyboard and the chair.

JohnN
03-07-2008, 06:52 PM
I worked in IT for many years, as the manager LOL
while semi-fluent, I consider myself

"technically challenged" in this politically correct world

first lesson I learned was "reboot"

Rokinronda
03-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Fumar, I never heard of an ID ten T error until now. 1rnfl sorry...My 1st experience with computers was punching holes in cards on an IBM 129 at a bank. Kinda like chads! Then the computers in the cooled sterile behemouth catacoomb would read the data from the IBM cards and record the data on massive rolls of paper. I have been self taught and have learned many ways to fix problems. I am happy to help anyone with issues. I don't charge for advice! Just email me next time! Matt can be replaced!

renielarson
03-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Hey ronda....we might make a good team....http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh96/renielarson/4_1_2011.gif
I'm self taught too and pretty darn good at computer fixin' (had my share to fix and too cheap to pay Matt)

Rokinronda
03-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Sounds like a business proposition!! Been searching for my niche!! LOL Lets undercut Matt and explain to nice people the simple fixes!!! We could make millions!! LOL :bigthumbsup:

golfnut
03-12-2008, 01:37 AM
don't forget the three finger salute!

Hyacinth Bucket
03-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Ronda, I also worked on those punch cards. Right now that time period feels like many many moons ago.

The world of computer has changed. Remember when the computers were not only massive, but had to be kept in a humidity and temperature controlled room?

If I recall correctly the people wore white surgical hats on their head and booties on their feet.

Guess I am showing my age. lol

HB

Hyacinth Bucket
03-12-2008, 10:41 AM
I use system restore. I am technically challenged and that is what I do when the machine doesn't respond.

HB

Rokinronda
03-12-2008, 03:35 PM
yes system restore to an earlier functioning date is first and works, usually...... HB, Booties, hats, gloves....had to be virtually dust free environment. dust hmmmmm maybe thats my occaisional problem!

Hyacinth Bucket
03-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Is that what they refer to as the "Good old days?"

HB

Muncle
03-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Yeah, the 80-column card is a sign of the past, but what about the 96-column card and, here's a real oldie, paper tape. I thought cards were a pain until I had to use paper tapes. They were a joy to try to read naked eyed. :yikes:

And of course, there were toggle switches and the patch wires/cables. :yikes: :hot: :2excited: :yikes:

Just Susan
03-13-2008, 02:58 AM
While you were working with the punch cards, I was helping to build the computer....way back when, I worked at Univac on the Titan III project soldering components to circuit boards and stringing extremely small magnetic donuts with metal wire..like weaving on a large loom. I did this while attending college. Rather interesting, but microscope and solder smoke played havoc with my contacts. Still it is fun to think that something I did may have made it into outer space. Also interesting to me is how small the components I worked on and how absolutely huge the computers of that age were...compare that to an I-Phone...Wow.
http://www.millan.net/minimations/toolminis/mermaid3.gif (http://www.millan.net)