PDA

View Full Version : Outside outlet

indianavette
08-20-2014, 08:10 AM
I want to install an outside outlet for landscape lighting. Where did you tap into the existing electrical supply. What type of cable did you put in the ground.

Thanks

kellyjam
08-20-2014, 09:56 AM
Lenart installed an outlet on my Post Light for $100.

villagetinker
08-20-2014, 10:22 AM
In Sumter county, you need a permit for electrical work, just did some myself for outlet in garage and new ceiling fan. Code requires a GFCI for all outdoor receptacles, so you will need to tap either the Lanai or Garage circuits AFTER the GFCI. You do not state where you want the outlet, as I understand it outside wall outlets are more expensive.

Hope this helps.

indianavette
08-22-2014, 03:49 PM
In Sumter county, you need a permit for electrical work, just did some myself for outlet in garage and new ceiling fan. Code requires a GFCI for all outdoor receptacles, so you will need to tap either the Lanai or Garage circuits AFTER the GFCI. You do not state where you want the outlet, as I understand it outside wall outlets are more expensive.

Hope this helps.

So I need a permit just to do my own work?

leftyf
08-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Not if you don't tell anybody

JoMar
08-22-2014, 06:27 PM
Good answer....but, in TV I think you need a permit for everything.

villagetinker
08-22-2014, 07:52 PM
The legal answer is YES you need a permit to do your own work, so that it will be inspected. I think you may run into a problem with your insurance carrier, if you have a problem, and they find uninspected work. Your choice, I chose to be on the safe side. The permit (one inspection) was around $60 and if there are 2 inspections required, it is about $110. Also, I asked to speak with one of the inspectors before I filled out the form to confirm what I planned to do would pass inspection. He was very helpful, and I was able to get away with one inspection (final) I did not need the rought work inspection.
Hope this helps.

indianavette
08-23-2014, 07:16 AM
Thais for the information, it helps

JCMSr
08-23-2014, 08:36 AM
Generally speaking permits and the associated inspections are required in most municipalities if you are adding to or modifying the structure or any of the systems. Think about it this way....if you want to change out a light fixture using the current wires you do not need a permit. If you are adding a light fixture with new wiring, then you need a permit. Replacing a window? Same thing....replacing the window does not require a permit as long as you do not modify the size of the opening in the wall. Make sense?

As to adding a receptacle yes you are adding to or modifying the electrical system. There are many code issues associated with this type of work some of which have already been mentioned such as when/if GFCI protection is required. Another thing not mentioned is the load being added to the existing circuit and knowing what is already wired to the same circuit. A convenience outlet used every once in a while is one thing but an outlet to handle for example a pump for a water feature would be an entirely different situation. Pay for the permit, explain what you are doing and get some free advice from the inspection department before you start or better yet pay a professional to do the work and be safe!

rubicon
08-23-2014, 09:00 AM
After reading all of the posts given the advertised amounts to install outlets by electricians one is better served just to hire an electrician which will satisfy permit insurance company.

indianavette
08-26-2014, 09:04 PM
I agree and am having it installed tomorrow for $125.00.